Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Man of Honour
Looking at this monitor, hearing concerns about A04 having banding issues. Opinions here from people who own the A04 please?

All the monitors using this panel have banding issues - but its very slight and not usually noticeable except in certain situations i.e. on some versions of the Windows logo if you have it beside an IPS to compare. I've not heard of it being worse with A04 though if they've tweaked the gamma in hardware its possible.

Associate
I picked up one of these 2nd hand locally for £300 and absolutely loving it. Absolutely no backlight bleed or dead pixels. Coming from an IPS it took me a while to get the colours, brightness, gamma and contrast to balance but I'm really happy with it now.

I also really appreciate the matte finish. My wife has gradually moved me out to the conservatory and my last monitor had a glossy glass screen so was pretty much unusable during daylight hours. This one hardly seems to show reflections at all in comparison.

It's my first G-Sync display too and paired with my new 1600X, 1080ti and 3200Mhz memory it's so smooth. Never going back to 60hz non G-Sync now!

I'm not sure which revision it is as didn't come with a box. Is there any way to tell from the sticker/service tag? Not that I'm that bothered but would be nice to know.

Caporegime
All the monitors using this panel have banding issues - but its very slight and not usually noticeable except in certain situations i.e. on some versions of the Windows logo if you have it beside an IPS to compare. I've not heard of it being worse with A04 though if they've tweaked the gamma in hardware its possible.

Cool thanks.

Associate
Anyone running one of these off a 1060? What’s it like?

I’m tempted to get one but am worried that it’ll require me getting a new graphics card as well. Only other concern is moving from IPS to TN for non-gaming use....

My PC is used for both work and games. Currently have a Dell U2414H and the 1060 is more than enough for 1080p. Only really playing TW:Warhammer, Diablo 3, and Skyrim at the moment, so nothing too demanding.

My card is a 6GB Strix OC.

Associate
Anyone running one of these off a 1060? What’s it like?

I’m tempted to get one but am worried that it’ll require me getting a new graphics card as well. Only other concern is moving from IPS to TN for non-gaming use....

My PC is used for both work and games. Currently have a Dell U2414H and the 1060 is more than enough for 1080p. Only really playing TW:Warhammer, Diablo 3, and Skyrim at the moment, so nothing too demanding.

My card is a 6GB Strix OC.
I am running 1070 and I had to reduce some of the settings to run at constant 144fps. Playing rainbow 6 and OW.

Associate
I didn’t expect it would run at 144. Was just wondering if anyone had experience of using a lower powered card with the monitor. Sooner or later I’ll end up getting a better card, but later might be 6 or 9 months away...

Associate
I didn’t expect it would run at 144. Was just wondering if anyone had experience of using a lower powered card with the monitor. Sooner or later I’ll end up getting a better card, but later might be 6 or 9 months away...

I've one arriving today (the screen) and as I'm not gaming as much as I used to I'm also on a 1060 at the moment, I'll feedback later (maybe at the weekend) - I mostly play a bit of overwatch, but own D3 so I can let you know how the frame rates are in these two titles at least.

Associate
I've one arriving today (the screen) and as I'm not gaming as much as I used to I'm also on a 1060 at the moment, I'll feedback later (maybe at the weekend) - I mostly play a bit of overwatch, but own D3 so I can let you know how the frame rates are in these two titles at least.

That’d be great. Thanks!

Associate
That’d be great. Thanks!

An AO4 from here @ OC - one stuck pixel that shifted on it's own after a few hours... No dead ones. As expected, bright and slightly washed out colour in the default state.

Tried out a few colour profiles, they all seem to have the same data - so it's just a case of tweak the screen and and gfx/OS output.

Currently just enjoying OW - to keep G-sync on and the screen at highest rate I found medium(too much fluff on high/ultra makes you miss Zen's orbs anyway) detail in game, with custom frame rate at 142 (v-sync on) to be very nice.

I've not played really twitchy FPS for a while, but my McCree just stopped being frustrating. Dawned on me going from 60 to 144Hz is upping my game like when I played quake on 56k modem, got tortured by LPB's on ISDN, then got my first DSL line. Revenge is sweet.

Tried to play D3, have some awkward build with turrets and aoe on my DH, gave up and went back to Overwatch.

Associate
Thanks for letting me know how you’ve got on. Dropping down to medium for nice frame rates sounds like an acceptable compromise.

You made me grin. I used to play Quake 3 Arena on DSL and smile at the people stuttering across my line of sight on slow dial up ;)

Associate
Have one of these on their way. Should be here in a few hours. Upgrading from 24" 1080p 144hz looking forward to joining the world of 1440p. Read a lot about monitors and really didn't want the panel lottery of ISP and gaming is my main focus so this should hopefully satisfy my needs. Seems like the best TN 1440p 144hz screens. Will be ran from my strix 1070 until Volta comes out. Although I'm constantly tempted by a 1080ti

Associate
Well it's here and all set up. Looks very the look of the monitor itself, not as gamerish as other which I like. Not a single issue with the screen, no dead pixels etc. Downloaded icc profile and dropped he brightness toy liking and I'm good to go.
Going my my AOC 1080p 144hz screen the colours are a hell of a lot better, I haven't had an ISP to compare but there more than good enough for my usage. Overall very happy.

Back
Top Bottom