*** Dell UltraSharp U2410 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor @ £447.99 inc VAT ***

Associate
Anyone tried the displayport with a 57/5800 series GPU? Eizo claim there are improvements when using this input over DVI with their screens, but what about dell?

Associate
Associate
Just got a delivery of a U2410, green patch in the middle, tested on a couple of PCs even my work colleagues can see it, so is going straight back to DELL, I am not even going to bother to take it home tonight.

I am gonna give up in my quest for an usable color accurate 24", after going 'thru HP W2448h, LP2475w and Dell U2410. Is it me being particularly unlucky or is the QC of HP and DELL in need of some serious help?

Associate
anybody that is unhappy on how DELL is handling this situation please head over their Facebook account and leave a comment on the U2410 discussion.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=13422&post=121391&uid=7706457055#/board.php?uid=7706457055

Problem with these forums is that they are not visible to everybody, in the sense that only people with problem will end up on here, whereas FACEBOOK is a bit more under the radar of non techie people.

Probably a case of voting with your feet and waiting for prices to decrease/QA to improve. As they say, in order to get the yields they were after it'd massively increase the cost of the monitor. Perhaps they should have looked at another panel manufacturer, but 24" IPS panels are few and far between..

Soldato
I contacted Dell support and they couldn't find any trace of my monitor using the serial number. I also don't have a Dell works number on the box. I have had to email a copy of the invoice from OCUK to Dell to prove that I actually have a U2410, and apparently this morning a card has been popped through the door to say that a Dell Site Engineer tried to call this morning to deal with the problem :O. What gives, I thought they simply shipped a replacement?! I certainly won't be in for someone to visit!

Associate
I contacted Dell support and they couldn't find any trace of my monitor using the serial number. I also don't have a Dell works number on the box. I have had to email a copy of the invoice from OCUK to Dell to prove that I actually have a U2410, and apparently this morning a card has been popped through the door to say that a Dell Site Engineer tried to call this morning to deal with the problem :O. What gives, I thought they simply shipped a replacement?! I certainly won't be in for someone to visit!

Wow that's the first I hear about something like that.....I though too that they would simply swap it, it could be that they now send engineers around to check the level of "color gradation" just in case is within DELL limits to which point they may refuse the swap.

Associate
Hi guys!

I am currently looking at this compared to the Dell 2209WA. Apart from the size differnce and input differnces, does it perform as well?

I have heard a lot about colours showing up where there not meant to, dead pixels etc. Is this true or is it just pot luck?

Is it really worth the money?

Soldato
As a follow up to the above, I have called the number on the card that was left for me. It is a company called Echo who are a courier that delivers and collects parts for Dell. Is this the company that has been delivering everyone elses replacement monitors? They have no facility to allow someone to go and collect the monitor themselves, and they only hold the item for 3 days before it is returned to Dell. What gives, why am I having such a hard time getting a replacement?!

Associate
I am currently looking at this compared to the Dell 2209WA. Apart from the size differnce and input differnces, does it perform as well?
Well, apparently the 2209WA can be tweaked to run at a true 75Hz rate (no dropped frames) which means it'd be superior for gaming. It also seems less prone (by how much I don't know) to the green pink colour tint gradation type issues, perhaps partly because it's simply a smaller screen.. But it isn't free of the issue. The smaller size means IPS "white glow" in the corners of the screen may be less noticeable too. The only real minus is the resolution..

I have heard a lot about colours showing up where there not meant to, dead pixels etc. Is this true or is it just pot luck?
It's pot luck. Having said that, the irony is that (in my experience) the more expensive IPS screens appear a bit more prone to dead/stuck pixels than the cheaper TN panels, perhaps partly because it adds less to the cost of a TN panel for the manufacturer to pay to avoid this.

As for the U2410.. There's some other minor issues (adobe/sRGB dither bug etc) but the only real issue the U2410 has is the colour tint issue, where one side of your screen will appear to have a green tint and the other a pink tint, most noticeable on white and grey backgrounds. The cause of this is that Dell are cheaping out when paying LG for panels, and are basically paying LG for a very low grade of panel. So this "problem" won't be fixed until Dell either pay LG more money for a better grade of panel or implement uniformity controls that allow several different areas of the screen to be adjusted independently.

As has been noted by others, Dells current attitude is that the panel is "within specification" and they are refusing to deal with the issue on the U2410. A significant proportion of U2410's seem to have the issue (perhaps as many as half have noticeable tint, although it can be anything from barely noticeable to very obvious) Thus, I'm afraid, my advice is that you look elsewhere.. Perhaps Apple or NEC if you don't mind paying more, 120Hz TN panels if your main priority is gaming, or waiting it out till Christmas when some new 22" gaming PVA panels may be appearing..

Is it really worth the money?
More than double the price for 2 inches more? No, it's not. However some people (myself included) wouldn't want to live with a screen that's only 1080 high.. 1200 makes a nice difference for things like viewing PDF's etc. So it depends how much you want that extra resolution..

Last edited:
Associate
So do the hp and dell ips monitors have the same punchy picture and black levels of a apples ips screens ? Are they the same quality. In picture
or better aprt from this tint problem.

I would have thought dell would fix this as this is effectig there sales.

Associate
So do the hp and dell ips monitors have the same punchy picture and black levels of a apples ips screens ? Are they the same quality. In picture or better aprt from this tint problem.
They're pretty similar, but Apple may be paying LG for a higher grade of the same panel, which means they're less prone to gradation problems. They're also LED backlit which means they run less hot, use a bit less electricity (although that's often overstated) and tend avoid some issues related to standard lighting. This is at the expense of a poorer gamut, but an awful lot of people will actually regard that as an advantage. They've also chosen a glossy finish, which some people don't like. However I think part of the reason Apple chose to go glossy on their 24" is because the matte finish on the 24" LG's is really pretty grainy. I'd actually rather it was glossy than to have a matte finish which is this noticeable (it makes whites look "dirty"). The one obvious area where you could say the Apple sucks is input lag for gaming.

I would have thought dell would fix this as this is effectig there sales.
You and many of us. Their lack of response left me "gobsmacked".

Associate
Do all matt screens have a dirty White look? And also the same goes for tn panels

This monitor just seems to have so much wroung with it, tint, dirty whites, blured text, grainy contrats and this is a £450 monitor is there anything in the same price point that is as good or does it look like a tn panel would be better ?

I can not beleave that I am finding it hard to spend my cash and I need a new
monitor to replace my 21" CRT as it's starting to act up.

Associate
Do all matt screens have a dirty White look? And also the same goes for tn panels
Well, sort of, I suppose.. but some screens coatings are very much less obvious than others. The coating on the current 24" LG IPS screens seems pretty thick. TBH even the pretty thick coat on the U2410 doesn't bother me much personally, although I'd have preferred if they'd used a bit less. It bugs the hell out of a few people though. But then so do glossy panels, whereas I think they're only really an issue if you're in a brightly lit room :)

This monitor just seems to have so much wroung with it, tint, dirty whites, blured text, grainy contrats and this is a £450 monitor is there anything in the same price point that is as good or does it look like a tn panel would be better ?
If you get a screen free of tint gradation issues then, current Adobe/sRGB bug aside (which is supposedly going to be fixed with the next firmware revision) the U2410's are nice screens, and pretty damned nice for gaming, if a bit expensive in the UK compared to other countries. Unfortunately these gradation problems add an additional issue, and are enough of a worry that I'd say perhaps look elsewhere for now. It'll be nice when we can get back to only worrying about dead pixels ;)

I can not beleave that I am finding it hard to spend my cash and I need a new monitor to replace my 21" CRT as it's starting to act up.
The U2410 is a viable alternative for sure - its just a real lottery whether you get a good one, and it's now iffy how Dell will react if you complain about a screen with noticeable tint. At the same time, if all you'll do is game or play videos the tint may be a complete non-issue.. It's only very noticeable on white and grey backgrounds. Unfortunately for computer users that happens to mean a lot of webpages and applications :)

Associate
I was wondering if any of you have gotten some decent settings in Custom Color that resembles sRGB? Would be very nice if you could share them! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom