*** Dell UltraSharp U2410 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor @ £447.99 inc VAT ***

Associate
how have you set yours up without the dell profile mate? mines gone wobbly in windows 7, seems to be a known bug. just looking for a stop gap until they sort it out.

Associate
From a previous post:

i upgraded my graphics drivers (ati 4870) and now photoshop CS4 reports "Monitor Profile 'Dell U2410' appears to be defective". I can either ignore or use anyway.

When viewing in windows photo viewer the colours are now all messed up and its got a green tint to the entire screen.

Got 2 of them and its the same with both. Had them pretty much since they were released from here and not had any issues.

Any ideas on how to fix the profile thing? Much appreciated

At the moment in stuck with the colour messed up on my monitors a bit, wondered what people had done for a work around. ie what profile to set it to :)

Associate
Can anyone else confirm that the dithering fix for A00 monitors destroys the quality of analogue inputs (ie composite)? Someone else mentioned it and i'm concerned as I use the composite input for my old skool consoles and freeview box.

I am in the process of attempting to get dell to replace under warranty for the dithering issue but they are saying they can only replace an A00 monitor with an A00 monitor and they tell me the firmware fix will not be applied.

This seems a tad unfair as they see the dithering as such a defect that they made a revision but i'm supposed to put up with it!

Not good!

Associate
Alfie: I have read on the DELL forums, (http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19307543.aspx?PageIndex=26) that in effect there are 2 revision A01 of this monitor.

A) A00 hardware with A01 firmware in which some of the video processing has been disabled in order to eliminate the dithering problem. These units are generally still marked as A00 on the box, even though the firmware is A01.

B) A01 hardware revision with A01 firmware which has just started to appear on the American market (hardOcp forum source) in the new hardware revision whatever processing unit was disabled at software level in A has now been moved from the logic board to the panel logic which supposedly improves the video quality.

as said previously on this forum I have received 2 units 3 weeks ago, fresh from production (Jan10) and they both showed heavy green to pink, had to send them back.

If I remember right you have a panel without any tinting, just keep it, don't try your luck.

Associate
Without tinting yes, but with dithering and a broken power LED. Don't worry though, I wont be doing a straight swap so I can compare and keep the old one if I need to.

Interesting stuff about a dithering fix at the expense of some video processing. I guess this does affect analogue inputs so i'm going to steer well clear!

Associate
Ok just got my 2410 today Rev A00 factory menu gives me M1F190 (bit upset as where I bought it from told me it was an A01) no tinting or dithering as far as I can tell although with the dithering issue I am not really sure what I am looking for.

Out of the box all I have done so far is changed the brightness to 30 and switched it to sRGB but I have 2 questions

1) should I upgrade the firmware anyway

2) Is it worth buying a calibration tool, if the answer is yes which should I go for

Thanks

Caporegime
my u2410 [jan 10] is A00 hardware with A01 fw

i have a slight yellow band at the bottom of the screen [which the girlfriend cant see] but no pink or anything else, no dead pixels either

i can deal with the yellow as its only a tad off white and i can only notice it on really white backgrounds [ie not a hint on OC forum as its blue

im happy,i glad i didnt go any bigger, this fills my whole vision

Associate
Can anyone else confirm that the dithering fix for A00 monitors destroys the quality of analogue inputs (ie composite)? Someone else mentioned it and i'm concerned as I use the composite input for my old skool consoles and freeview box.

I am in the process of attempting to get dell to replace under warranty for the dithering issue but they are saying they can only replace an A00 monitor with an A00 monitor and they tell me the firmware fix will not be applied.

This seems a tad unfair as they see the dithering as such a defect that they made a revision but i'm supposed to put up with it!

Not good!

Yep I can confirm this is the case with mine :(. The Wii isn't the best looking console anyway but after flashing to A01 it looks completely awful, I need to set the sharpness down to 0 just to stop the weird wavy lines that go across it (component cable).

The annoying thing is I didn't even have the dithering problem but I thought what harm can it do, yeeaaaaaa... mistake.

Soldato
Yep I can confirm this is the case with mine :(. The Wii isn't the best looking console anyway but after flashing to A01 it looks completely awful, I need to set the sharpness down to 0 just to stop the weird wavy lines that go across it (component cable).

The annoying thing is I didn't even have the dithering problem but I thought what harm can it do, yeeaaaaaa... mistake.
The wii has always looked absolutely dreadful through the component cable on dell 24" screens. It looked like crap on my 2407 and still does on my u2410, no change there. Perfectly fine on my hdtv component input, however.

Associate
The wii has always looked absolutely dreadful through the component cable on dell 24" screens. It looked like crap on my 2407 and still does on my u2410, no change there. Perfectly fine on my hdtv component input, however.

I played it on A00 before flashing and you're right it still looked crap, but now there are wavy lines that shoot across the screen like it's not tuned in correctly and looks much much worse (so I'm sure you can imagin), making it basically unplayable. If I get time I'll make a video of it but it looks absolutely dreadful, turning sharpness down to 0 helps with the wavy lines but still awful.

Associate
So has any one got a A01 hardware version? That is with A01 on the box. I hear that the issues have been fixed and I am thinking of picking up one (February UK stock)

Associate
So has any one got a A01 hardware version? That is with A01 on the box. I hear that the issues have been fixed and I am thinking of picking up one (February UK stock)

Does the A01 hardware revision fix the tinting issue? I was going to get the HP LP2474W or the Dell U2410 until I heard about the tinting issue which put me off. I then decided to try for the HP ZR24W but that might be coming out in March/April and I dont think I can wait that long.

If the Hardware revision for the dell solves its tinting issue then I think I might just bite the bullet and get myself the U2410 since Im sitting here with a 17" (non widescreen) monitor and Im itching for something bigger and better.

Associate
Ah! I cant wait that long. Anyone know if the tinting issue has been solved in the most recent screens from dell/hp (u2410/lp2475w)?

I think there will always be some risk of tinting - I am hoping the A01 hardware revisions have reduced that risk suffieciently to enter the Dell panel lottery

The Dell and HP use the same LG panel
The HP seems expensive - though I see OCUK have sold 3 of them in the past 2 days (yes I am sad enough and desparate for new monitor)

Last edited:
Associate
Ive been on the dell forums in regards to the dell u2410...it wasnt very promising. Dells stance is that the tinting isnt a defect so they wont replace it though they will offer a refund or maybe a replacement with a REFURBISHED model... not promising at all.

I dont know if I can deal with the "dell lottery" system. Im hoping they have just about resolved the tinting issue since you dont have problems like this with cheaper TN monitors and the like.

I just want a IPS panel monitor that wont cost the earth and works like a normal monitor should (without major defects affecting the whole production line)

Back
Top Bottom