Delvis: weight lifting log - time to conquer

Caporegime
OP
Thursday 17th January: Shoulders
  • Mobility: dislocations, rolling, front/side/rear raises with 1.25kg, other stuff
  • OHP: barx10, 25kgx5.
  • OHP WS: 5x5x35kg
  • Arnold Press: 17.5's+bar: 2 LOLphaggot. 15's+bar: 5x5.
  • EZ-Bar front raise: 3x20x5kg (mega burn, felt amazing)
  • Side raise: 3x20x5kg plate (burrrrn again)

AWESOME shoulder pump today. Pleased with the 35kg OHP, felt nice in the end. Arnold presses made me lol, 17.5s didn't want to do much, 15's felt much nicer, although on the final rep of the last set I stalled for about 5 seconds half way up, pushed through though YEAH.

I think I'm becoming a shoulder day convert, the pump today was sweet.

Caporegime
OP
Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng! Today was a new beginning, a new path, a new time to conquer. Today, was Pure Gym day!

Day of events, alarm clock: 5:30am fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Tea (need coffee dammit!)
Whey shake (now got some instant oats)
Gym O_o

Friday January 18th: Back
  • Mobility: dislocations and stuff, RDL with the bar many times.
  • Deadlifts: 10x70kg, 2x90kg, 1x120kg.
  • Deadlifts WS: 4x3x137.5kg hnnnnnnnnng forms breaking
  • BORs: 4x40kg, 10x60kg. 5x5x70kg
  • Neutral chins: 6, 5, 4.
  • Lat pull down: 8x32kg, 2x8x39kg. 8x45kg, 8x52kg.
  • Seated row: 6x39kg, 3x6x45kg, 8x52kg.

I LOVE CABLE MACHINES WEEEEEEEEE! :D

First morning session, time wise I was okay, and back days usually take the longest I think. Might drop the deads down again and hit 5's, not sure yet.

BOR's I might drop the weight a touch to concentrate on getting the right muscles engaged, I just keep forgetting to not do over 5 reps :o

Also, deadlift vid:

Caporegime
OP
I'll sort that in a sec :) Parallel? No idea, they aren't pendlay rows that's for sure, it will probably attack my lower back too much, either way it seems to be working well :)

Soldato
Yeah form is definitely going on your deads, only one or two reps with a straight back in there. And one for ice or similar to answer, but I really don't like the complete lack of negative. The weight is pulling your upper back completely bent over as it slams down and your arms turn to jelly - this surely can not be good for your back, shoulders or elbows?

Also, get straps for BORs.

Caporegime
OP
Coupled with my first morning session it probably doesn't help matters.

Yeah form is definitely going on your deads, only one or two reps with a straight back in there. And one for ice or similar to answer, but I really don't like the complete lack of negative. The weight is pulling your upper back completely bent over as it slams down and your arms turn to jelly - this surely can not be good for your back, shoulders or elbows?

Also, get straps for BORs.

Can't really see much problem with not doing a slow negative personally? my arms 'turn to jelly' because I don't want to hold the weight on to the floor, that would be even more daft surely?

I also figured in certain cases upper back bend isn't actually as bad as it sounds? :) Would like some further info on it really so I'm all ears.

I've been debating straps, may invest in some at the end of the month. Next plan might be to drop the weight again and work on 5's as I said, can anyone suggest this wouldn't be a good idea or are there any other suggestions?

EDIT: that first line probably came across more negative than intended! :D <3

Soldato
Get straps then reassess. You might find more back activation at the same weight when using straps.

upper back bend when pulling isn't that bad, can't imagine it being good when it's the weight yanking it back on the 'negative'.

No your arms turn to jelly because you're not in control of the weight, it's just crashing back down. However because your still gripping the bar, I'm thinking it's going to be pulling your shoulder around in the socket and I worry for the elbow too. I don't know enough about joints to know if these are valid concerns though - hence why I'm posting for ice's attention. It just doesn't look healthy to me.

Also when you say "not doing a slow negative", there's three stages in my opinion:
Slow negative, normal negative, no negative :p

My problem with your lack of negative, is that your back is not moving back down to the starting position as fast as the weight is, you're being dragged.

Edit: I'm not having a go or anything, just don't want your fragile shoulders getting ripped out the socket :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Get straps then reassess. You might find more back activation at the same weight when using straps.

upper back bend when pulling isn't that bad, can't imagine it being good when it's the weight yanking it back on the 'negative'.

No your arms turn to jelly because you're not in control of the weight, it's just crashing back down. However because your still gripping the bar, I'm thinking it's going to be pulling your shoulder around in the socket and I worry for the elbow too. I don't know enough about joints to know if these are valid concerns though - hence why I'm posting for ice's attention. It just doesn't look healthy to me.

Also when you say "not doing a slow negative", there's three stages in my opinion:
Slow negative, normal negative, no negative :p

My problem with your lack of negative, is that your back is not moving back down to the starting position as fast as the weight is, you're being dragged.

Edit: I'm not having a go or anything, just don't want your fragile shoulders getting ripped out the socket :)

I know you're not having a go mate, I appreciate the feedback, it's why I post the videos :) So thank you

All valid points really. As I said last week, doing negatives (as I have been doing at the work gym) tend to aggravate my back a lot more, doing them as I have been doing them now (as above and at the meet) puts less pressure on my lower back. Now, this might be me being a spazz and not doing the negative correctly, but it's something I'll look in to for sure.

I'll try and be more conscious of my lowering myself with the weight more while keeping my shoulders back, so it doesn't pull me down as you've mentioned. I can honestly say though, it doesn't feel like it's pulling me down...

Can you link to any straps at all mate? I know people just say any old straps will do, but I prefer to know who's used what and atleast that they are half decent :p

Last edited:
Soldato
might want an edit on your first line lol

as for the deadlift negative i think i pretty much do the same, and i feel no tension etc in my back, and no adverse pulling on my shoulders, but Monkee may have a point.

Re straps, get some for things like RDL's and BOR's i am going to and i agree that for a few select exercises, grip should not be the limiting factor and you might not realise it is until you strap away.

Your welcome to try mine out when i get some if you want.

Soldato
Mine are some cheapies from bodybuildingwarehouse.com or sommat, was given them by a friend.

Syla5, you might return to position a bit quicker, I'd have to watch your video again.

Delvo, it might just be the case of the dreaded back pump. Doing negatives slow will give you a much bigger pump. Taurine can help and is dead cheap.

Caporegime
OP
might want an edit on your first line lol

as for the deadlift negative i think i pretty much do the same, and i feel no tension etc in my back, and no adverse pulling on my shoulders, but Monkee may have a point.

Re straps, get some for things like RDL's and BOR's i am going to and i agree that for a few select exercises, grip should not be the limiting factor and you might not realise it is until you strap away.

Your welcome to try mine out when i get some if you want.

Edit? What line?

Cool, will see how much they are, may just get some anyway :)

Mine are some cheapies from bodybuildingwarehouse.com or sommat, was given them by a friend.

Syla5, you might return to position a bit quicker, I'd have to watch your video again.

Delvo, it might just be the case of the dreaded back pump. Doing negatives slow will give you a much bigger pump. Taurine can help and is dead cheap.

Ahh okay, cheers mate will have a look.

It pretty much is my dreaded back pump that stops me from doing slow negs, as said, if I can be taught how to do them properly without hurting my back, I'll do it as it will benefit me presumably. Taurine eh? Might do mate, my supps list keeps growing and growing :o Whey, dextrose, casein, now instant oats...Possibly taurine!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Delvis, to me it looks like your not always that tight on the bar. You really need to be ultra tight before initiating the movement, otherwise slack will be taken up in bad ways.

Back
Top Bottom