Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (Square Enix Reveal new Deus Ex)

Man of Honour
The way they did them is the problem.

Dues Ex remake - Fight in a locked room until one of you drops dead.

Dues Ex - Battle over the entire level, or use kill phrase, or simply run away and fight another day.

I really do miss the original Dues Ex. Wish I could wipe my memory because these remakes are nothing in comparison. Not saying they're bad, just no where near as good.

Great thing about the original as well when it came to bosses - you could do all kinds of things that aren't entirely intended i.e. I've managed to complete the game and leave walton simons alive which actually isn't that easy as if you try and evade him he will keep reappearing infront of you.

Its one of the interesting things about the original game as well in that not everyone is black and white - from one perspective Walton Simons is quite a hateable character from another you can even pity him and potentially see him as a reflection of yourself as manipulated by Icarus.

Soldato
The way they did them is the problem.

Dues Ex remake - Fight in a locked room until one of you drops dead.

Dues Ex - Battle over the entire level, or use kill phrase, or simply run away and fight another day.

I really do miss the original Dues Ex. Wish I could wipe my memory because these remakes are nothing in comparison. Not saying they're bad, just no where near as good.

The boss fights were actually done by a different studio, whose lead designer admitted he had never even played a Deus Ex game before. Why they decided to contract out the boss fights to another company, much less one so lacking in experience of that sort of game, is a source of mystery to this day.

The director's cut version did improve the boss fights a bit, by adding more stuff and more hiding places to the level. It's still fundamentally a locked room where two men enter, one man leaves. But at least you have a few more options to deal with it.

Original Deus Ex didn't really do boss fights, and it was all the better for it. It just had named characters that you occasionally had to fight. Walton Simons, you can just run straight past him, turn around, pull out your GEP gun, and murder him in the face before he has a chance to talk to you and turn hostile. Maggie Chow could be sniped from a walkway. Anna and Gunther you could bypass entirely by learning their kill-phrases. Or killing Anna on Lebedev's jet earlier in the game. I loved that the game allowed you to do that.

Speaking of mech augs having kill-phrases, does Jensen have one? :eek:

Permabanned
I've managed to complete the game and leave walton simons alive which actually isn't that easy as if you try and evade him he will keep reappearing infront of you.

Lol, does he follow you into the facility? Spamming his plasma rifle everywhere you go speed aug would be handy :p

I get what you mean though. There's a bit where he interrogates some NFS prisoners you probably know. If you're quick you can get in before the cell door shuts and he's like "Get out of here Denton!" "This is none of your business!" :)

He winds up executing them but you can do that yourself before he's finished talking, just to pee him off some more lol.

It's just such amazing freedom of choice as you're not really expected to follow him as the player. He takes forever and mostly keeps telling you to bugger off. :(

Original Deus Ex didn't really do boss fights, and it was all the better for it.
It just had named characters that you occasionally had to fight. Walton Simons, you can just run straight past him, turn around, pull out your GEP gun, and murder him in the face before he has a chance to talk to you and turn hostile. Maggie Chow could be sniped from a walkway. Anna and Gunther you could bypass entirely by learning their kill-phrases. Or killing Anna on Lebedev's jet earlier in the game. I loved that the game allowed you to do that.

So true. Remember the apartment with your brother and the MIB are about to storm in? Fight or flee? Your choice.

No way you remembered how to spell Lebedev btw, must be google ;)).

I fired a LAW on Lebedev's jet killing them both expecting one of them to be hardcoded to survive or something. I was blown away when Alex pops up saying he'll erase the footage lol. And then back at HQ Manderley goes mad at me "What the **** happened in there." :D

I miss stuff like this not in the new games. Like being able to, you know, scuttle a super-freighter. Or mutiny against my superiors and shoot up a whole office full of armed guards. I want to travel continents and experience sexy french accents and cool Chinese people like Tracer Tong, and that Chinese kid everyone blew up with a rocket.

I don't even remember much about DXHR... It looked nice and played well on PC, but kinda looked the same everywhere I went...Shiny. The melee stuff was cool but nothing memorable. Nothing like any of the aforementioned stuff.

Maybe this game was a fluke and its mastery can never be recreated, so instead they make flash trailers, dazzle us with fancy graphics and cool melee action moves ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
It's getting much easier now, all you need is the 10mm Auto handgun with silencer and armour piercing bullet and they go down straight away; from one or two head shots, even the heavies, but when i first played it you had to blast away like crazy before they dropped !!!!!!!!........... (but you must target the head only)

the AI in this game are really dumb, they take a few seconds to detect you even if you're right in front of them in semi cover, allowing you to rip off two head shots one after the other.

or and this is really easy...........cloak yourself, walk right up to a heavy and give him two head shots from point blank range :D:D

the boss fights ? just use the rocket launcher on them after throwing an EMP grenade.

it's a great game after playing DOOM, it just takes getting used to, this next game should be brilliant

Man of Honour
Lol, does he follow you into the facility? Spamming his plasma rifle everywhere you go speed aug would be handy :p

I get what you mean though. There's a bit where he interrogates some NFS prisoners you probably know. If you're quick you can get in before the cell door shuts and he's like "Get out of here Denton!" "This is none of your business!" :)

He winds up executing them but you can do that yourself before he's finished talking, just to pee him off some more lol.

It's just such amazing freedom of choice as you're not really expected to follow him as the player. He takes forever and mostly keeps telling you to bugger off. :(

If you get it just right you can trap him with some boxes and then he doesn't confront you again at the next bit if you try and skip killing him near the end. Really hard to do though as he tends to either knock them out the way or teleport through them.

I seem to remember there is a way to prevent him executing the prisoner as well but I might be mistaken - I seem to remember a way to block a door and him getting very angry with me.

So true. Remember the apartment with your brother and the MIB are about to storm in? Fight or flee? Your choice.

I like the fact that has consequences for Paul's survival, etc.

I fired a LAW on Lebedev's jet killing them both expecting one of them to be hardcoded to survive or something. I was blown away when Alex pops up saying he'll erase the footage lol. And then back at HQ Manderley goes mad at me "What the **** happened in there." :D

The level of thought that must have gone into the game is insane - if you use cheats to bypass certain sections you'll even get NPCs breaking the fourth wall in dialogue you'd not normally encounter and I suspect some of the bugs that can be used to bypass inventory stuff and hacking/lock picking aren't entirely by accident but someone realising that with future progress in games they'd become outdated mechanics people didn't want to bother with.

Caporegime

That is just the standard response for killing Anna :p

Soldato
great ending to Deux Ex, unfortunately it looks like Mankind didn't learn it's lesson, because now we've got a new game :cool:

this game is brilliant i cant wait for the next one, half of the stuff i didn't use, i.e Typhoon and many of the later guns because i didn't need to.

Permabanned
I like the fact that has consequences for Paul's survival, etc.

I legged it the first time. I thought I was supposed to :confused:

Felt bad next time I saw him :(

That is just the standard response for killing Anna :p

But if you don't kill Anna, and just kill Lebedev, what does he say then? And when/where do you fight her later other than the kill phrase?

Oh dear I might have to reinstall.

Associate
Loved HR, very excited for Mankind Divided. I get very invested in these games and can't wait! Making me want to do that final playthrough now :D

Soldato
No way you remembered how to spell Lebedev btw, must be google ;)).

I didn't google Lebedev's name. It's spelt the same way it's pronounced. I did have to google Maggie Chow's name though. I couldn't remember whether it was Chow or Chen.

Reinstalled the game last night. Died on Liberty Island, and then I remembered why I haven't played it for a while. No autosave. I've been spoiled by modern games with their frequent autosave points, and so forgot to create save points for this game. Have to start over from the beginning. Ugh.

Soldato
I didn't google Lebedev's name. It's spelt the same way it's pronounced. I did have to google Maggie Chow's name though. I couldn't remember whether it was Chow or Chen.

Reinstalled the game last night. Died on Liberty Island, and then I remembered why I haven't played it for a while. No autosave. I've been spoiled by modern games with their frequent autosave points, and so forgot to create save points for this game. Have to start over from the beginning. Ugh.

Haha, I remember ragequitting that game so many times because I'd just completely forget to save it I was so used to certain parts of it. Like I'd clear out the entire of the Liberty Island mission, spending a couple of hours doing it carefully, then do something totally stupid like blow up an explosive container sneaking into the rear entrance of the Fort in Battery Park and kill myself and realise I hadn't saved it all game.

Last edited:
Soldato
the ``Missing Link`` DLC is brilliant, i chose to save the prisoners because i found it quite disturbing, esp the young girl in the prison cell.
i think Deux Ex even though it's not perfect, is still the best game i've ever played.

it never felt as good as this when i originally played it............most odd.:eek:

Soldato
I've tried going back to the original Deus Ex, but it just looks awful now, even worse than it did originally as modern gfx cards do not support the shaders of the past OpenGL games :( For example, the stun gun with its constant flickering mini-lightning looks very poor on todays hardware, explosions look worse etc etc. The "Revision" version has altered design of many characters and locations so I do not like it for that.
The story and the execution of "free choice" is unrivalled though, there is no other game like it.
Having said that, DeusEx:HR was pretty good, hope the new one will not disappoint.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's getting much easier now, all you need is the 10mm Auto handgun with silencer and armour piercing bullet and they go down straight away; from one or two head shots, even the heavies, but when i first played it you had to blast away like crazy before they dropped !!!!!!!!........... (but you must target the head only)

the AI in this game are really dumb, they take a few seconds to detect you even if you're right in front of them in semi cover, allowing you to rip off two head shots one after the other.

or and this is really easy...........cloak yourself, walk right up to a heavy and give him two head shots from point blank range :D:D

the boss fights ? just use the rocket launcher on them after throwing an EMP grenade.

it's a great game after playing DOOM, it just takes getting used to, this next game should be brilliant

Try completing it without killing anyone (other than the 3x boss fights) and without setting off any alarms...

Suspended
Try completing it without killing anyone (other than the 3x boss fights) and without setting off any alarms...

I played HR all stealth and didn't feel satisfied about it at the end. I managed to kill one person when they fell down a lift shaft whilst unconscious so didn't even get the achievement. :(

Next game I'm going badass, all guns blazing.

Back
Top Bottom