Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (Square Enix Reveal new Deus Ex)

Bungah why u playing top pc games on basically a crappy speced xbox?

Eh? Not exactly... I don't see a 'crappy specced xbox' playing Witcher 3 at on mostly High (no hairworks/medium foliage distance) with HBAO+ at 45-60fps, or Fallout 4 High/Ultra (god rays on low) at 50-60fps. Also played Rise of the Tomb Raider on High no bother as well.

My comments about upgrading the whole system are because if I replace one bit, I'm gonna bottleneck another - it's not because it's poorly performing - far from it actually!

Eh? Not exactly... I don't see a 'crappy specced xbox' playing Witcher 3 at on mostly High (no hairworks/medium foliage distance) with HBAO+ at 45-60fps, or Fallout 4 High/Ultra (god rays on low) at 50-60fps. Also played Rise of the Tomb Raider on High no bother as well.

My comments about upgrading the whole system are because if I replace one bit, I'm gonna bottleneck another - it's not because it's poorly performing - far from it actually!

Increasing your ram surely wouldn't bottleneck your system? Assuming your mobo can handle greater than what you presently have and *if* you find you have any issues playing the game (which I doubt you will), just bung another stick in.

Increasing your ram surely wouldn't bottleneck your system? Assuming your mobo can handle greater than what you presently have and *if* you find you have any issues playing the game (which I doubt you will), just bung another stick in.

Sorry no, I wasn't referring to the RAM there. I've been contemplating a GPU upgrade but my CPU will bottleneck it almost certainly. My mobo does support more recent 6 core processors with a bios flash but only supports DDR3 RAM, which I'm sure is still good enough, but I'd probably be interested in DDR4. Also, one of my RAM slots is covered by my GPU for some reason!

Probably worded my initial post incorrectly - its not that I deem upgrades "necessary", it was more that further upgrades will be necessary if I upgrade one component - which I can't afford.

Last edited:
So, where's the very cheapest place to buy this? I can't seem to find it for less than £30

You missed the cheap boat by quite a few months, could have had it for about £20. But it can be still had for cheaper than £30 at CDKeys.com

Currently £27.99 - 5% if you bother going to their facebook page makes it £26.59 which is not bad :)

I picked up the Digital Deluxe Edition as I wanted to support the developers, as Deus Ex is one of my favourite game franchises. GMG were doing a 25% discount on pre-orders a few weeks back so £64.99 became £48.74 which is not bad for the game plus season pass. Good thing is that 25% means less profit for GMG, not the developers :D

Sorry no, I wasn't referring to the RAM there. I've been contemplating a GPU upgrade but my CPU will bottleneck it almost certainly. My mobo does support more recent 6 core processors with a bios flash but only supports DDR3 RAM, which I'm sure is still good enough, but I'd probably be interested in DDR4. Also, one of my RAM slots is covered by my GPU for some reason!

I would buy a single or two sticks of 8gb ram on the cheap and it may help extend your use for another year or so. But if you was looking forward to a system wide upgrade soon anyway, might as well wait and do it all in one go I suppose.

Is there actually much of a difference between DDR3 and 4 these days? I could upgrade my DDR3 RAM from 1866MHz to 2400MHz, but I don't think I would get any benefit at all. Bandwidth goes up, CAS timings get worse...

Last edited:
I would buy a single or two sticks of 8gb ram on the cheap and it may help extend your use for another year or so. But if you was looking forward to a system wide upgrade soon anyway, might as well wait and do it all in one go I suppose.

Is there actually much of a difference between DDR3 and 4 these days? I could upgrade my DDR3 RAM from 15866MHz to 2400MHz, but I don't think I would get any benefit at all. Bandwidth goes up, CAS timings get worse...

I would agree with this. I am still on DDR3. I have 24GB of it though and it's perfectly fine.

Is there actually much of a difference between DDR3 and 4 these days? I could upgrade my DDR3 RAM from 15866MHz to 2400MHz, but I don't think I would get any benefit at all. Bandwidth goes up, CAS timings get worse...

I may just do that thanks, especially if 8GB minimum specs keep becoming more regular occurences. That's the first time I've not met a minimum requirement since the PC was built in 2011 lol.

I may just do that thanks, especially if 8GB minimum specs keep becoming more regular occurences. That's the first time I've not met a minimum requirement since the PC was built in 2011 lol.

Haha, yeah. These days all you ever really need to upgrade for gaming is the graphics card. Like the system I have now, had it for 3 and half years and the only part that I keep upgrading is the GPU. I am confident I will use it for another 2-3 years before I upgrade the whole system :)

My next CPU needs to be at least 10nm and with 8 cores.

I remember the days where people would splash 1k every year or two to upgrade their PC's. Progress has slowed to a crawl. Moore's law is dead. Until we switch from silicon to something else, we likely won't be seeing big jumps any time soon :(

I am similar. Still on a 3570k @ 4.5Ghz with no reason at all to change that. I did change my graphics from s 7970 to a 390X though. I wonder if the 390X will handle 1440p @60fps. It's a slower paced game though so a few drops here and there won't be the end of the world.

I am similar. Still on a 3570k @ 4.5Ghz with no reason at all to change that. I did change my graphics from s 7970 to a 390X though. I wonder if the 390X will handle 1440p @60fps. It's a slower paced game though so a few drops here and there won't be the end of the world.

I think you will be fine. The game supports DX12 and will likely make good use of your cards Async :)

I'm on a i7 930 @ 3.6Ghz - for some reason any increase beyond 3.6 or increased voltages to get me to 3.8/4Ghz causes instability, very irritating considering it's a CPU well known for pushing to 4Ghz with relative ease! I'm by no means an expert in overclocking but I have painstakingly followed guides to safely bump things up gradually and at the 3.8Ghz mark or any changes whatsoever to voltages, it just goes :(

Anyway, rest of system is 6GB DDR3 and a GTX 770 (2GB). The only upgrade I've made to the system since I bought it was the 770 which replaced a very powerful for the time, but outrageously loud and power hungry GTX480!

I missed the boat on Windows 10 as well, so I won't be getting DX12 any time soon, though I don't know if that's really for cards as old as mine - you guys will know better.

I think you will be fine. The game supports DX12 and will likely make good use of your cards Async :)

Thanks, I was thinking that too. The 390X is a fine card for the money and DX12 always helps.

It's weird that the recommended specs state that a 480 is recommended along with a 970 though. in DX12 a 290, let alone a 480 will beat a 970.

I'm on a i7 930 @ 3.6Ghz - for some reason any increase beyond 3.6 or increased voltages to get me to 3.8/4Ghz causes instability, very irritating considering it's a CPU well known for pushing to 4Ghz with relative ease! I'm by no means an expert in overclocking but I have painstakingly followed guides to safely bump things up gradually and at the 3.8Ghz mark or any changes whatsoever to voltages, it just goes :(

Anyway, rest of system is 6GB DDR3 and a GTX 770 (2GB). The only upgrade I've made to the system since I bought it was the 770 which replaced a very powerful for the time, but outrageously loud and power hungry GTX480!

Depends what cooler you got. But could be you just got lost the silicon lottery and ended up with a poor clocking chip. I would say hold out for another year maybe if you can and build a whole system in that case to be honest. As new CPU's not only easily can get 4.5GHz, but 4.5GHz on the new architecture will be like probably be closer to 6GHz vs what you got.

Thanks, I was thinking that too. The 390X is a fine card for the money and DX12 always helps.

It's weird that the recommended specs state that a 480 is recommended along with a 970 though. in DX12 a 290, let alone a 480 will beat a 970.

Edit: Yeah, not sure why they did that.

Last edited:
Cooler is a Prolimatech Megahalems I think, long time ago now.

I believe I may have drawn the short straw yes. I bought this system from OCUK actually, and it was to come overclocked stable at 4Ghz, I had to downclock it myself after having all sorts of stability problems out of the box. I should really have complained but I was lazy and didn't want to go through the fuss of having to send parts back and forth!

Cooler is a Prolimatech Megahalems I think, long time ago now.

I believe I may have drawn the short straw yes. I bought this system from OCUK actually, and it was to come overclocked stable at 4Ghz, I had to downclock it myself after having all sorts of stability problems out of the box. I should really have complained but I was lazy and didn't want to go through the fuss of having to send parts back and forth!

From memory I would say that cooler is good enough, so definitely the CPU. Anyway, let's get this thread back on the rails before someone complains. lol :p

Deux Ex: Mankind Evolved - 11 more days to go!

adam-jensen-dance-o.gif

Will I lose much if I jump into this without playing Human Revolution?

I'm kinda ashamed to say this but I've never played a Deus Ex game in my life, even though I've always been intrigued by the franchise. All of it just slipped by for some reason, don't kill me;p

Back
Top Bottom