Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (Square Enix Reveal new Deus Ex)

Caporegime
In its own right its not incomparable to a slightly more dated version of mass effect but coming from the original its pretty badly dumbed down.

Yeah, as said by someone else, the loading screens dragged on a bit, and personally I didn't think 'that' much of the overall aesthetics, but in terms of actual content, I found it to be pretty decent.

That said, no protagonist for me, before or since, has been as mysterious, engaging or appealing as JC was in the first game.

I particularly liked the conversations between the protagonist and JC near the end of the second title. I find that kind of thought / depth of analysis fascinating. Almost spiritually evolving.

Last edited:
Caporegime
To be fair I was 9 when it came out lol. Don't think I even had a pc in those days.

Tempted to aquire a copy and have a play.

Seems people rate it higher that invisible war which I absolutly loved.

Modded or not, I think you should get a good deal of enjoyment out of it. I guess it depends if you're the sort of person that can play very old titles or not. Sometimes I can, sometimes not; e.g. I love the idea of the first System Shock title, but... :)

Soldato
Deus Ex: Invisible War was a terrible Deus Ex sequel (in that it dumbed down many aspects of what made the first game great), but generally as a game, it wasn't that bad. I actually enjoyed it to a certain extent, as long as I stopped comparing it to the first game. I accepted it was what it was, and with that I did find there were certain aspects to it that were actually still quite fun and interesting.

In a way, I suppose you could say that Human Revolution was probably the sort of game they were trying to make with Invisible War, especially in trying to appeal to the mass console gaming market, but it really did not work as they hoped.

Man of Honour
The great thing about the game is how much they've taken into account i.e. you might bypass a section by somehow managing to get into an area of a level that the developer never really envisaged anyone managing to reach but the story continues if you somehow managed to do it.

EDIT: Made me think of another thing - in some parts of the game you can bypass the normal game flow via cheats i.e. no clipping or breaking the game physics, etc. and it triggers an alternative dialogue from characters due to events not happening as intended alluding to deus ex machina (i.e. a contrived solution to something).

Deus Ex has extremely good continuity considering how (relatively) non-linear it is for a FPS game. I'm sure there are a few paradox/bloopers but it is the sort of game that makes you smile when going 'off-piste' has been catered for.

As for IW I played it first so did not go into it with any preconceptions and thought it was a good game when judged on merit. Being worse than Deus Ex is nothing to be ashamed of; it is just a fact of life for all games.

Associate
RE not killing anyone: I don't remember how I got past Anna Navara but I remember I did do it.

I've tried on a number of occasions playing Invisible war, but every time I give up in the first level – I guess I'm not giving the story much time to get going, but the UI was rubbish.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I quite enjoyed invisible war. Would pick it over any COD game any day. Lol.

Only reason people say it is crap is because it is not as good as the original game. But that is fine, the original was a great game. Also when many people say the same thing, people just get brain washed and agree rather than making their own decision.

I actually installed invisible war yesterday with a mod which improve graphics a lot, together with playing it at 3840x2160 it looks really good for a 12 year old game. The UI scales very well at 4k too. Some games that are 2 years old I played, even one I tried that was released a few days ago still don't have scaling UI!

Soldato
Yaaaaah! Love Deus Ex games (even the buggy travesty that was Invisible War! - actually I liked the game but the loading screens and poor optimisation were terrabad :p ).

Pretty sure this will be on my shopping list :D

DX1 was epic, and still is in my book. Plug in some of the 3rd party hi res texture packs and it is still an enjoyable play.

Pretty stoked for this - I just hope they don't console nerf it :(

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yaaaaah! Love Deus Ex games (even the buggy travesty that was Invisible War! - actually I liked the game but the loading screens and poor optimisation were terrabad :p ).

Pretty sure this will be on my shopping list :D

DX1 was epic, and still is in my book. Plug in some of the 3rd party hi res texture packs and it is still an enjoyable play.

Pretty stoked for this - I just hope they don't console nerf it :(

Yeah, so far only thing I find annoying is the constant loading screens. Apart from that no bugs or anything wrong.

Soldato
Yeah, so far only thing I find annoying is the constant loading screens. Apart from that no bugs or anything wrong.

When it first came out, I was playing it on a PC that should have stomped it, but I was getting 12 FPS :D

I can't remember how I got it working in the end, but I seem to remember the game was pretty good.

I believe the PC version was more or less a straight port of the xbox version hence the loading screens because the console was not capable of running larger worlds. I also seem to remember getting xbox pad hints for activating buttons and using lifts and stuff too :p

Caporegime
i liked HR but the "ending machine 3000" was a bit ****.

would like it if they actually just had made the ending donethrough actual choices rather than pic a button.

Soldato
It's unlikely to happen officially, but I'd love to see someone in the modding community remake Deus Ex 1 in the Unreal 4 engine. It probably is a huge task, but if it was done like Black Mesa source I think it would be amazing. I believe someone attempted a remake with the UT2004 engine, but the project fizzled out sadly.

Soldato
It's unlikely to happen officially, but I'd love to see someone in the modding community remake Deus Ex 1 in the Unreal 4 engine. It probably is a huge task, but if it was done like Black Mesa source I think it would be amazing. I believe someone attempted a remake with the UT2004 engine, but the project fizzled out sadly.

It is amazing what can be created in modern engines. The shareware of Doom was remade in the Doom 3 engine. Wow, what an awesome conversion. Totally blew me away and I still play it even now.

Such a shame they couldn't do the entire game :(

I am a huge advocate for modern remakes. I would love to see DX1 remade, as well as DX2. I'd love a modern remake of Flashback as well as games like Chaos Engine, Syndicate Wars (I have high hopes for Satellite Reign), Quake/Doom games and last but not least - Command and Conquer :)

Back
Top Bottom