Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (Square Enix Reveal new Deus Ex)

Caporegime
DX 12 once again is providing a nice little boost for my PC:

yGRqv8G.png

hGoWsQt.png

wNMyRgo.png

Mvf6i0N.png

Turned off contact hardening shadows and FPS increased by 7-9 FPS, no idea why that is even an option, it looks terrible and false imo...

Man of Honour
Contact hardening shadows seems to be a bit broken - looks like its rendering the shadows in the wrong order for the bit where they are supposed to merge resulting in a weird melted look along the insider shadow border instead. A lot of the game just doesn't have the type of scenes that kind of shadow rendering is particularly useful for either.

Man of Honour
Just beaten this, thoughts below:

+More Deus Ex \o/
+Harvester side missions are awesome, some of the best in the franchise (and better than the main questline IMO). Up there with Vampire Bloodlines quests. If they could make DLC of that quality I might consider buying it.
+General game mechanics are fairly sound, felt like I had a few decent options most of the time (combat, stealth, hacking, dialogue, running etc)
+First game I've ever played to use the phrase "you ****ing *******", kudos for that :)
+Generally looks and performs OK
+Decent game length, lasted around 30hrs

-Long unskippable end credits
-Game world is pretty small, aside from Prague and possibly Golem the other areas are fairly generic mostly linear levels rather than open world
-Dull opening to the game, didn't really feel like I was getting into it properly until I found TF29 HQ
-Very demanding on CPU, I think you really need a 5ghz+ hex core or better to get the best out of it
-Steam cloud sync takes an absolute age after quitting the game, it seems to upload hundreds of megabytes so you have to manually go and delete lots of old saves to keep it down to a reasonable level
-Ending is a bit abrupt, the very final thing in my playthrough is the news anchor talking about the boring Neon subplot
-Main plotline is fairly weak, I didn't really feel like I'd have much opportunity to build up any sort of relationship with the main adversary (I had more attachment to some 'lesser' NPCs I encountered in side missions). I was kind of expecting a more 'deus exy' finale in terms of making some sort of choice will a clear grand scale influence
-Got a bit dull solo'ing nearly all the time, felt like a missed opportunity for some AI backup
-Tutorial mission at the start is a bit pointless in that it trains you in using augs that you may not actually have for the rest of the game (e.g. I never got the vision enhancement upgrade)
-Miller voice acting is terrible for one of the biggest NPC parts in the game

Interestingly over the course of the game my playstyle developed a bit; to begin with I was very focused on hacking but went full rambo mode for GARM / curfew / London.
Overall despite coming up with more negatives than positives, I enjoyed the game

Caporegime
I haven't found the game demanding at all once msaa is turned off as well as volumetric lighting turned down one notch, I maintain 60fps lock 90% of the time and this is with an i5 750 @ 4GHz, although I am using DX 12 which provides a big boost over Dx 11

Soldato
I've gotta be honest, I'm finding it a bit....meh, if I'm honest.

I'm at the part where I stole the data disk from the train station so not very far in. I don't think comparing it, but the last big game I sank any time into was The Witcher 3 & DLCs & obviously it's a different game, but it's not really grabbing me.

Man of Honour
I haven't found the game demanding at all once msaa is turned off as well as volumetric lighting turned down one notch, I maintain 60fps lock 90% of the time and this is with an i5 750 @ 4GHz, although I am using DX 12 which provides a big boost over Dx 11

I'm running a 3570k at 4.3ghz, 1080p DX12, I have most of the settings turned down (MSAA, volumetric lighting, cloth physics, tessellation, ambient occulusion, screenspace reflections etc all switched off), but it still hits 100% cpu usage on all 4 cores at times (I've hardly ever seen that on any game, usually a subset of threads are the bottleneck), and often high usage on all cores. In essence I think the game is well optimised for multiple threads so something like Ryzen should be good in this.

Caporegime
I'm running a 3570k at 4.3ghz, 1080p DX12, I have most of the settings turned down (MSAA, volumetric lighting, cloth physics, tessellation, ambient occulusion, screenspace reflections etc all switched off), but it still hits 100% cpu usage on all 4 cores at times (I've hardly ever seen that on any game, usually a subset of threads are the bottleneck), and often high usage on all cores. In essence I think the game is well optimised for multiple threads so something like Ryzen should be good in this.
You shouldn't need to turn off all those settings like cloth physics etc. unless you are using a GPU weaker than a 290. Mine is running great with all those settings turned on, on my 290.

Haven't looked at my CPU usage since moving to the more populated areas (you can see my CPU usage in the screens at the top of this thread for the first mission though) but can't say I'm surprised, generally games like this where you have open populated areas etc. are quite CPU hungry. DX 12 will also be helping to make use of the CPU more, at least if you have an AMD GPU anyway.

Only game where I have seen 100% across all 4 cores is in the division with dx 12 (drastically improved FPS over dx 11). I rather see 100% across all 4 cores than having the CPU hovering around 40-60% though! :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
DX12 was horrendously stuttery when I last played the DLC even though the framerate reported in the 70+ range.

DX11 was smooth

Titan X Maxwell.
And that will be why :p

There is no point using dx 12 on nvidia hardware especially if you have a good CPU, it doesn't seem to bring any improvements and if the FPS does improve, I only ever see people reporting stuttering. Besides there isn't much need since nvidia have nailed dx 11 for getting the very best from it.

Man of Honour
You shouldn't need to turn off all those settings like cloth physics etc. unless you are using a GPU weaker than a 290. Mine is running great with all those settings turned on, on my 290.

I have RX480 8GB. Cloth physics is supposed to be cpu intensive hence it is turned off. Performance isn't bad per se generally around 75-120fps but if you start a massive firefight in the streets I've seen it drop down into the 50s. I have no problem with 100% cpu usage if the framerate is high enough - hence I think this could really benefit from a monster cpu.

edit: should also add I'm running max FOV, which probably increases the load compared to default.

Caporegime
I have RX480 8GB. Cloth physics is supposed to be cpu intensive hence it is turned off. Performance isn't bad per se generally around 75-120fps but if you start a massive firefight in the streets I've seen it drop down into the 50s. I have no problem with 100% cpu usage if the framerate is high enough - hence I think this could really benefit from a monster cpu.

edit: should also add I'm running max FOV, which probably increases the load compared to default.
That might be why I haven't had any issues with performance/FPS drops, I haven't started any firefights and the only gun I use is the stun gun... :p The lowest I have seen my FPS go is about 45-50fps but most of the time, it is locked to 60fps.

Can't remember what FOV setting I'm using although I'm on a 21.9 monitor so the FOV is wider by default and yes a wider FOV should have some impact on FPS but it shouldn't be that much, at least from my experience with FOV sliders in other games.

One thing that I had to do to get a nice smooth experience was to lock the FPS to 60 via rivatuner, although if you have a 100+HZ refresh monitor, you will need to change this value to something else and if your monitor is freesync then you won't need to bother with a fps lock.

Man of Honour
Just give it a go after saving the game (so you don't mess up your normal playstyle), grab a proper gun and start executing people in the street provoking the police / robots, throw some grenades and run around a bit making sure you are in the more open areas, trigger some car alarms etc. I cap fps at 120 but due to cpu limitations it can't sustain solid 120fps.

There was a couple of other places where I noticed slowdown to sub 75fps without fighting, can't really remember but I think somewhere in Golem city markets with lots of NPCs around and much later in Prague when you return at night time.

Caporegime
Had a quick go but didn't see any big drops tbh although since my build is geared towards stealth etc. I didn't last very long! :p

Tried it in these 2 areas:

jKNddaF.png

sb8mGkk.png

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
So does wide screen work properly natively now? Or did you have to get a work around? I remember all the people bitching when the game came out as there was no wide screen support :p

Caporegime
So does wide screen work properly natively now? Or did you have to get a work around? I remember all the people bitching when the game came out as there was no wide screen support :p
Surprisingly I didn't have to do anything! I didn't even need to go into the settings to change HUD placement etc. :D Definitely one of the better games for 21.9 i.e. EVERYTHING (cut scenes, UI, menus, HUD etc.) is supported out the gate.

IIRC, when it was released, was there not just issues with cut scenes and the UI for 21.9?

Back
Top Bottom