dfi-rd580 crossfire due soon? (gibbo?)

300 1:1 has been achieved by some on both the Asus and DFI. The issue is that not everyone has been able to get to the same level, so it's a little down to knowledge, right components and luck, which is not really decisive enough to make a firm statement either way.

raja said:
300 1:1 has been achieved by some on both the Asus and DFI. The issue is that not everyone has been able to get to the same level, so it's a little down to knowledge, right components and luck, which is not really decisive enough to make a firm statement either way.

But is right for me to say that 1:1 is always the best performance no matter about latencies?

Mekrel said:
From reviews of the board I have seen, it is capable of that and more.

Can't remember which review I was reading, or the site infact but the board did impress me.

I didn't even get my DFI nForce4 board untill late in the day, 623 bios hab been releaded by then and most issues sorted and that bios rocked hard.

I'll google around for some reviews.

Ive tried to google for review of the cfx3200 but can get nowhere, imo no review sites have it, or they are taking theyre time (carefully reviewing it)

centy said:
really? it looks to me as if the CPU and PWMIC just got that bit harder to air cool.

It really depends on your setup if you have got psu that has a 120mm fan this can be significant for the ram and processor, but for the older layout on the likes of my aging av8 the ram doesnt get cooled (except that i have a fan above the ram)

PWM IC's are designed for high temperature, but i always like to have a fan above them

Last edited:
bmorgan98 said:
Ive tried to google for review of the cfx3200 but can get nowhere, imo no review sites have it, or they are taking theyre time (carefully reviewing it)

I think the review sites waited for end user results, the Asus board left a lot of sites with egg on their face.

I think that this board is merely running an immature bios...

Things will improve as better bios' become available, mine hasnt arrived yet, probably due to easter weekend, but I am hopeful that this board will solve my stability issues that I have had for so long...

Be nice to be able to run X64 again with no problems...

Raja, been very impressed by your balanced comments about this, and the Asus board... keep up the good work

:D

Whats the max temp the pwm ic should go to, since fitting my water block to the cpu the temp is as high as 57degrees on the pwm as it isnt getting any air from the cpu fan

andyr said:
Whats the max temp the pwm ic should go to, since fitting my water block to the cpu the temp is as high as 57degrees on the pwm as it isnt getting any air from the cpu fan

Pretty sure Jokester had his PWMIC chip running into the 90 degrees region when running his dual core setup which are known to make the PWMIC run hotter.

If you are concerned about its temperature, most manage to fit a fan blowing over the rough area either using their own mounting methods or via the use of the Zalman fan bracket. This seems to stop load going into the 60's.

Hi thanks for that i havn't seen it up as high as 60 yet but i will look into the zalman bracket option , i take it that the pwm ic is to the left of the cpu on this board , with the heat sinks mounted

Hi,

Will be an owner of this motherboard in a couple of days, I ordered mine today.

FWIW dunno yet if I made the right decision, as I'm getting never before overclocks with the new Asus bios. Gary Key hit 3.05 ghz on air with an Amd 4000+ using the Asus board (he provided me with the proof).

The Asus was sold, this is my last evening with the board, I had to make the sale, managed to claw back £95 (after paying the auction fees, sold for £100) so I could put it towards the DFI.

Raja

raja said:
Hi,

Will be an owner of this motherboard in a couple of days, I ordered mine today.

FWIW dunno yet if I made the right decision, as I'm getting never before overclocks with the new Asus bios. Gary Key hit 3.05 ghz on air with an Amd 4000+ using the Asus board (he provided me with the proof).

The Asus was sold, this is my last evening with the board, I had to make the sale, managed to claw back £95 (after paying the auction fees, sold for £100) so I could put it towards the DFI.

Raja

Nice work on the £100 . welcome to the dark side

I'm really undecided on what board to buy. I was going to get the DFI but I'm running an arctic cooler 64 pro and was wondering if the hot air going over the RAM might cause issues.

andyr said:
Nice work on the £100 . welcome to the dark side

the trick was to put it on reserve for £95, buy it now for £100 and auction for seven days starting at £70. It sold so fast, I searched for my listing after posting it and it would not show, I thought something was amiss, upon further investigation, I realised someone had taken the plunge in under 10 minutes!

bmorgan98 said:
But is right for me to say that 1:1 is always the best performance no matter about latencies?

I think it has been proven, that it can be difficult to claw back the bandwidth performance (in games) attained by lower latencies @ 1:1, versus using higher htt's, looser latencies and dividers. I think the trick is to find the sweet spot for the ram in question.

If you read the bottom of the page in this review, you can see how latencies can affect gaming performance (fps), which do not always reflect the outright cpu speed.

http://www.thetechzone.com/?m=show&id=512&page=5

edit: though I must confess, 6fps is not really a terrible loss from 115.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom