Disabled couple snooped on and accused of fraud by the DWP

Soldato
And when it comes to things more than a £25 PIP payment (which get used to show how 'so many people' are on benefits), the genuine often struggle to get the benefits they should probably be entitled to because they're having to jump through excessively stringent hoops in the name of stamping out the barely existent fraud that the Daily Mail like to throw about as a headline every now and then.

The UK benefits bill last year was nearly a quarter of a trillion pounds - thats not sustainable.

What cuts are you proposing to fund areas you think are more important?

Associate
Well then educate the people better. When I was on JSA they send me on a course that was ridiculous, and a complete waste of time.
When I was unemployed in the early 90's for 2.5 yrs I had to attend a few Skills Workshops to help me get a job, CV, interview technique etc. For the most part it was pretty basic advice.
The unemployment office were basically saying look at any job, yet I had only done welding. Go for an interview and they're not interested because you're over qualified or don't have the experience for a job you've never done.

Caporegime
Problem in this country there is no real support. Just time wasters in government positions.
There is but it's provided by people who aren't really qualified anymore

they got rid of social workers and community support teams for mental health.

they replaced everything with Social prescribing care workers, peoples only access to them is through a GP and no one seems to k now these people exist anyway.

Associate
And when it comes to things more than a £25 PIP payment (which get used to show how 'so many people' are on benefits), the genuine often struggle to get the benefits they should probably be entitled to because they're having to jump through excessively stringent hoops in the name of stamping out the barely existent fraud that the Daily Mail like to throw about as a headline every now and then.

Government just don't get it. If you do not have the right support and the right system in place to help people, you will accumulated more people into this system and none will exit.

I see the system keeping people in jobs but not really providing a service. There is too much bull and too many people that shouldn't be in their position as they offer no help..

Last edited:
Associate

they replaced everything with Social prescribing care workers, peoples only access to them is through a GP and no one seems to k now these people exist anyway.
Who are they then? Never heard of them

Associate

They don't really exist, you just keep going round and round.

Soldato
The UK benefits bill last year was nearly a quarter of a trillion pounds - thats not sustainable.

What cuts are you proposing to fund areas you think are more important?

The 'benefits bill' encompasses a vast array of things beyond those which we've been discussing, so no idea where you're going with this particular tangent or why you're asking me about cuts.

Caporegime
Who are they then? Never heard of them
oops I got their job title wrong

This includes connecting people to statutory services for example housing, financial and welfare advice.

Social prescribing works particularly well for people with low level mental health needs, who feel lonely or isolated, with long term conditions and complex social needs.

Social prescribing link workers work collaboratively across the health and care system, targeting populations with greatest need and risk of health inequalities. They collaborate with partners to identify gaps in provision and support community offers to be accessible and sustainable.

if your disabled and need help with fit work work assessments etc they will help you.

A local MP can also help with benefits, someone in my family (brothers partner) has some medical condition with they don't get rid of water like normal people do, so shes kinds massive but its not her fault.
My mum was telling me she got tons of help from her local MP, council fitted her a wet room etc :O

She needed one though, one time she got stuck in the bath naked obviously, and the fire service had to get her out :O

They don't really exist, you just keep going round and round.
Not true, I got help for my son from one,

He was on UC/PIP with his mum as his appointee.
His mum passed away the other month and hes only 19 with no clue.
He was due a phone assessment for UC 2 days after his mum passed, they said they would put it on hold for 3 months.
He doesn't get paid UC or pip for a month because they were being paid into his mums closed bank account.
HE never mentioned it to me, then finally he gets the login for his UC portal.
Finds out they want a fit note within 2 days..... (no mention of this when they rescheduled his assessment...
Benefits people refuse to speak to me or him, because his mum is his appointee....

I after google and it says he should have the exact same powers as the appointee.... so they should have spoken to him on the phone....

I give up trying and contact a link worker for him, she gets a 6 month fit note and sends me a photo of it, no way we could even have seen a GP in time to get one ourself...
We got to the meeting with her at the GP surgery. she already got the number for some manager level guy at the DWP so by passes all normal phone queues.
She gets everything sorted out within a 3 minute phone call, including updating his banking details.
She mentions that when he has a phone assessment she will do it with him, speaking on his behalf.
if he needs another sick note before then she can reissue another 6 months

We leave the meeting and she phones me 5 minutes later saying my son should be getting his missing benefit payments within the hour, 5 mins later hes got all his missing UC in his bank account.

Couldn't really have done more for him.

Last edited:
Soldato
The genuine can't get through because people like you call them scroungers so the government cracks down on everyone to score ideological points. Everyone is treated like a scrounger and has to fight tooth and nail for benefits which clogs the system up.

The government don't care. They are entirely money motivated. All they want to do is reduce costs, they really don't give a ***** how or how many starve in the process.

Associate
oops I got their job title wrong

if your disabled and need help with fit work work assessments etc they will help you.

A local MP can also help with benefits, someone in my family (brothers partner) has some medical condition with they don't get rid of water like normal people do, so shes kinds massive but its not her fault.
My mum was telling me she got tons of help from her local MP, council fitted her a wet room etc :O

She needed one though, one time she got stuck in the bath naked obviously, and the fire service had to get her out :O
Question who do you contact to get this, or is this another word fad.
Who is they?

Caporegime
Question who do you contact to get this, or is this another word fad.
Who is they?
Ask your GP reception, I'm not sure if a GP is supposed to refer you, or if you can just ask to see one.

The one at my local GP practice works from within that building with her own little room.

Associate
Soldato
Disabled people should move away from their GP and support group to please the sun reading, gb news watching *********?
I've literally just helped my autistic daughter move to a new area 50 miles away, she's moved GP and we've helped her find her local support groups, this was because she wanted to move jobs and that was the closest place with a suitable role.

I obviously don't need to point out that generalising all disabled people as if they are incapable messes is not very helpful..

Associate
Yes but we are not adding to the benefits bill so what is to be cut to fund the increased disability benefits bill?
Well then place more liability onto insurance companies, increase p.i compensation and give better access to legal for P.I . The Tories did the opposite, and we are in this position.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yes but we are not adding to the benefits bill so what is to be cut to fund the increased disability benefits bill?
cut housing benefits for people in work.
Cut benefits payments for people in work.

Stop subsidising big busisness and global corporations via the tax payer... They should be paying a real wage.... without tax payers topping it up.
These companies seem to get out of paying tax as it is.... having to negotiate taxes with Starbucks, google, amazon etc? what the.......

Wheres our countries balls? PAY THE SAME TAX AS EVERYONE ELSE..... NO SPECIAL DEALS

Last edited:
Associate
Ask your GP reception, I'm not sure if a GP is supposed to refer you, or if you can just ask to see one.

The one at my local GP practice works from within that building with her own little room.
So you call your GP and say I like to know more about social prescribing and would like to be referred to a social prescribing agent?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've literally just helped my autistic daughter move to a new area 50 miles away, she's moved GP and we've helped her find her local support groups, this was because she wanted to move jobs and that was the closest place with a suitable role.

I obviously don't need to point out that generalising all disabled people as if they are incapable messes is not very helpful..

Nor should we generalise disabilities like autism in the sense that just because your daughter can do it with what sounds like a lot of parental hand-holding, that everyone can. Just having a job puts her in the 20% of autistic people who are employed, so she's clearly at the high functioning end. The ableism I've seen around this condition is quite frightening, from people who don't even believe it exists to those who think it's just an excuse for being different and "we're all a bit autistic".

It's a spectrum and just one of many disabilities where the answer shouldn't just be to move and find a suitable job.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom