• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Discussion On The ATI Radeon 5*** Series Before They Have Been Released Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Really!? Even more awesome! It's only got about 256mb ram :) I'll only be using it for desktop use and some photo/video editing initially. Correct me if i'm wrong but they are not graphically intensive tasks like gaming is right?

Yep, that's right.

Your old x850 will be just fine for desktop work etc. As long as you don't try gaming with it, you shouldn't have any problems.

Associate
I was explaining that there isn't a game out there now (bar Crysis) that will put a dent your performance, so buying on that reason doesn't make sense.
That's nonsense. There are plenty of games that don't run flawlessly on my 4870 - ArmA II, STALKER: Clear Sky, Crysis, Far Cry 2 (in DX10 mode), etc. Not only that but I'm looking to upgrade to a 26" monitor and the higher resolution will place even more of a burden on the graphics. And then there are upcoming games like STALKER: Call Of Pripyat and the DX11 enhanced DiRT2.

It all depends on what you're upgrading from. My single 4870 512MB just isn't that impressive anymore and to me the next-gen DX11 cards offer a compelling reason to upgrade. As for the price:performance ratio that still remains an unknown but ATi has been decent in the past. Sure I could wait for prices to drop but I could keep doing that indefinitely. It's like the Core i7 - I could have kept my C2D but I wanted something more powerful and had the money.

Soldato
I laughed :(

I want more details damn it :( (not of ATI being hit with a torpedo but their card).

Same here, also i wish they would release the X2 card at the same time as all the others for a change.

Depending how the early benchmarks pan out i may still wait to see what Nvidia does, will be disappointing to buy a card then have Nvidia completely outclass it.. well we will see :)

AMG

AMG

Soldato
out classes it on price, however I wanna try nvida this time, I m getting board of ATI :( but we will see, if they are stupidly expensive again, and ATI is like 5% slower on thier flagship card than I ll have the ATI thank you very much, but we shell see

Associate
I hope the 5870x2 is twice the performance of a 295gtx.

We may finally get some cards than can max out games @ 2560x1600!

Associate

Now that would be awesome! :)
What I want to read about now are crossfire reviews on these cards.
Hope it'll run more smoothly than the GTX295's in quad.

Last edited:
Soldato

if a single 5870 is going to be the same performance as a 4870x2 that aint gonna happen, if it's a little better though then the 5870x2 should be 2x of a gtx 295, i think it will be a bit under personally possibly by 10-20%.

Permabanned
if a single 5870 is going to be the same performance as a 4870x2 that aint gonna happen, if it's a little better though then the 5870x2 should be 2x of a gtx 295, i think it will be a bit under personally possibly by 10-20%.
I think it's realistic to assume it may be 2x the performance or there about. Bearing in mind that the 4870X2 can match and beat a GTX 295. Then take in to account the difference in overheads with using dual GPUs to do the rendering.

Last edited:
Associate
Wow that link showing the demonstration from the OP of the new DX11 features is really awesome... I'm especially interested in the tessellation functionality that looks brilliant, finally smooth complex 3D forms.

Interesting times ahead chaps, hopefully we will start seeing some real classics appear again. Saying that Mass Effect is really good imo. I don't think I'll be selling my 4890s though sure I might get crysis on 'Very High' but I think Christmas 2010 will be a good window as i'm not really interested in 'Dirt 2'.

Can't wait to see what ATi have created though, let the Next Generation graphics technology begin.

Cheers
XD-3

: Now where did I put that ECH ... Yes that's Emergency Command Hologram ... Random I no [Coat?]

Soldato

I could max almost everything with one 295, fallout ran at a minimum of 55 fps, dow 2 ran a little slowly with a min of around 15(while looking at explosions and zoomed in so the particles fill the screen) avg. of 40ish though. Crysis ran "ok" on one, without aa, although I still cant run it with AA. Havent found anything else that really challanges (running sub 60) the two of them.

Now that would be awesome! :)
What I want to read about now are crossfire reviews on these cards.
Hope it'll run more smoothly than the GTX295's in quad.

When i first got mine, they were a bit annoying, especially in COD. Now I have had them and played around with settings etc they run everything smooth as butter, no micro stutter etc that i can notice/remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom