• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Discussion On The ATI Radeon 5*** Series Before They Have Been Released Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I think Crysis was overrated but still a great game nonetheless.

Certainly not worth upgrading a system for this one game though.

Kind of my feelings too. Some games like this or Doom3 (when it first came out - no one or very few could run it at full pelt) tend to be more technical achievements for current / future projects than game achievements for that particular one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Borrowed from 'neliz', looks very similar to a 1GB 4770.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/388/171061.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6195/171062.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2080/171063.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Still using the 3870 stock cooler it seems. Cheers for the pics anyway. Looks a pretty solid card.

[QUOTE]No indication it is 'the' high end. Rumours put the 180mm^2 chip we've seen maybe one step below, something like HD4870 performance. Iirc AMD said something about 4 DX11 GPUs this year. We'll see.[/QUOTE]

The PCB is black, which means unless that's temporary, this is definitely a high end offering. Who can say at this point though; there's no pressure on AMD to launch an all-conquering behemoth so I wouldn't be surprised if they launch a lesser product first as you say.

Soldato
You can't really draw conclusions from an ES, the pcb colour and cooler may change.

Yeah, the card maybe the smaller Juniper 180mm^2 chip RV840?, and be launched first with its bigger brother(s) later.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-dx11-rv8xx-card-exposed/7154.html?doc=7154
There is a DX11 gaming system lurking deep in Computex but we managed to hunt it down as usual. We can't provide you a close up right now but judging from the looks of it, the card is about 8.5" long, dual slot and requires a 6-pin power. This card probably belongs to the mainstream segment (RV840), part of the AMD's DX11 Evergreen family. The silicon is at A10 revision right now and we can expect another spin before it enters mass production. Targeted launch of the first DX11 part is in September before the Windows 7 hits the market on October 22nd. Some benchmarks later...
According to Charlie
So, what are those code names? They are Cypress and Juniper. Cypress is the big chip, and Juniper is the mid-range part. ATI strongly hinted at the conference that the wafer was a Cypress, but I don't recall if a chip code name was explicitly stated. It it was Cypress, die size estimates in the 180mm^2 range should make Nvidia very nervous. If the wafer was a Juniper, Nvidia should be far more nervous.

There is talk of a Redwood gpu and another called Cypress. As a Redwood is a big Cypress, maybe the flagship X2 variant is made from 2x Redwood. Lol, or is it 2x Cypress? There is talk of a 300mm^2 40nm chip and pics of big cooler.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, the card maybe the smaller Juniper 180mm^2 chip RV840?, and be launched first with its bigger brother(s) later.

There is talk of a Redwood gpu and another called Cypress. As a Redwood is a Cypress, maybe the flagship X2 variant is made from 2x Redwood. Or is it 2x Cypress?

TOO MANY CODE NAMES ARGHGHGFARGLBLARGLBA

Soldato
TOO MANY CODE NAMES ARGHGHGFARGLBLARGLBA

Hey guys I FLAAHGGBGBHGLLGLGLGLGLG

anlj4z.jpg

Soldato
I hope Sapphire dont fanny about & just release a Vapor-X cooler edition straight away, they would sell like hotdogs.

If it is a paper launch by AMD/ATI, how long did they take to do a hard launch last time they did that? Not something I checked up on.

Last edited:
Caporegime
295 GTX 1790 MB card is £365. The high end ATi offering is £190 or around £220 for a 4870 Crossfire offering which still does not offer as high a performance as NVidia do.

Do this new card from Ati will probably only match the 295 for performance and will cost a little less and offer you non existant DX11.

Its not as if ATi are already the fastest and are going to offer something mind blowing now is it. There again Nvidia in some benchmarks have some kind of software advantage such as Crysis Warhead so the card is a limiting factor when games companies write for the card. Crysis Warhead is so much faster on Nv cards.

FANBOY ALERT!!! :eek:

:D

Associate
:rolleyes: I think you mean a recession. Credit crunch is just some stupid phrase they came up with to try and sensationalise the recession.

Credit crunch = increase in difficulty in getting loans and things on credit, not actually anything to do with a recession directly anyway.

/pedantic

You sound a lot of fun:rolleyes:

Soldato
UNLESS YOU'RE PLAYING ULTRA-HIGH RESOLUTIONS WHY WOULD YOU NEED NEW CARDS?

What games are over-taxing current cards at lower resolutions like 1920x1080?

:D

Pong, Digger, Pac-Man, not to mention ARMA 2, Warhead and Stalker:CS, even that old 2007 game - the one with the magic suit and jungles and beaches and aliens and things, you know the one ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom