• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Discussion On The ATI Radeon 5*** Series Before They Have Been Released Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
He said 1.6x the performance though, that makes it slower doesn't it, so its not as fast as the 4870, its only 1.6 of it, either that or ive had to much to drink tonight :p

1 = the base line. So 1 = the 4870. any number above 1 = the percentage difference.

1.1 = 10% faster, 1.2 = 20% faster and so on.

Permabanned
Im well confused, if its only 1.6 the performance of a 4870 as he said, its slower, its not as fast, its only as fast as 1.6 of it. :confused:

Take any number and multiply it in a calculator by 1.6. You'll then see how multiplying something by 1.6 results in a larger number.

1.6 is the decimal way of writing 60% extra.

a 50% increase in speed is 1.5x a 100% increase in speed is written as 2x.

Check it with a calculator.

Last edited:
Associate
Im well confused, if its only 1.6 the performance of a 4870 as he said, its slower, its not as fast, its only as fast as 1.6 of it. :confused:

lol it took me a while to get my head around it. i deffos have a mental block for this 1.6xfaster thing.....it was doing my head in so much that i tried to think of it in a new way, like a car is travelling at 100mph and another car is traveling 1.6xfaster....so how fast is the other car.....and i still havent worked it out lol.

kylie has made me see the light now....what did it for me is when he said 1x is the base line, so we are only arsed about the 6. like if they said it was 2xfaster that would mean double the performance of the 4870 but as they are saying 1.6x that means the performance is 1=a whole 4870 and the 6=6 parts of a 4870, so we obviously know the 5870 is going to perform as good as a 4870(which is the 1) but we wanna know how much more it will spank it by which is what the 6 represents and 6 is just over half way mark(5)60% lol ive confused you more right

Associate
1.6 X FASTER = 60% FASTER

I can't beleive there has been nearly a page dedicated to people not getting that, I mean my GOD people it is basic maths.

what about basic manners??? what are you trying to say that me and others are thick?? so what if theres 10 pages dedicated to helping people get something they dont....to me thats something to get happy about its awesome its called helping others, its nothing to get all capital large letters and god its basic maths about....

Permabanned
lol it took me a while to get my head around it. i deffos have a mental block for this 1.6xfaster thing.....it was doing my head in so much that i tried to think of it in a new way, like a car is travelling at 100mph and another car is traveling 1.6xfaster....so how fast is the other car.....and i still havent worked it out lol.

kylie has made me see the light now....what did it for me is when he said 1x is the base line, so we are only arsed about the 6. like if they said it was 2xfaster that would mean double the performance of the 4870 but as they are saying 1.6x that means the performance is 1=a whole 4870 and the 6=6 parts of a 4870, so we obviously know the 5870 is going to perform as good as a 4870(which is the 1) but we wanna know how much more it will spank it by which is what the 6 represents and 6 is just over half way mark(5)60% lol ive confused you more right

Kylie? :mad:

Except for that, I would say you've pretty much described it perfectly.

Whilst I don't understand the difficulty in understand it, I can at least appreciate that you do find it difficult. Percentages is my maths strong point, where as I've never been able to get my head around algebra.

What does frustrate me is when people have apostrophe over-use syndrome or don't-know-how-to-use-apostrophes-so-I'll-make-it-up-itis. :mad:

Associate
i bought 2x4890 last week :( i havent used them at all yet and wont be using until beginning of october... is there any chance of me returning them to OcUK ? :D

Soldato

1.6 is the same as 160%

% of course meaning "per cent", or per hundred.

So 160% is the same as the fraction 160/100, which is 1.6.

Soldato
Student with no job ;)

Should be picking up a job within the next couple of months for sure once I settle into college, but the £125 is all I really have until then for a new card.

Eh, we have some bad news for you about the economy . . . actually never mind that, think of that 5xxx as an investment for the future :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom