• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Discussion On The ATI Radeon 5*** Series Before They Have Been Released Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
yeah I would say this will be a paper launch. Retail availability possibly by early october on the mainstream card.

Expect enthusiast boards to come a month or two later when yields have improved. Remember X2 boards used twice as many chips :)

Caporegime
Tbh I'd expect a hard launch with some limitations on
quantity. Also nothing official, but
I'd expect the x2 variant to ship a couple of months later and just before
the gt300 to keep things 'fresh' in the minds of the consumers and to
be competative with nvidias top card

edit - posted from iPhone so forgive the spacing errors

Soldato
Tbh I'd expect a hard launch with some limitations on
quantity. Also nothing official, but
I'd expect the x2 variant to ship a couple of months later and just before
the gt300 to keep things 'fresh' in the minds of the consumers and to
be competative with nvidias top card

edit - posted from iPhone so forgive the spacing errors

That makes complete sense, keep something back to rain on Nvidias parade however I think ATI would want to take the performance crown while they can and I hope I am wrong but I doubt a single 5870 will beat a GTX295.

Associate
I'll be grabbing one of these at launch, providing they offer a decent enough performance increase - the 4870 512MB I have at the moment is decent but somewhat dated now. If Crossfire performance is impressive I may pick up a second, though I'd need a Firewire soundcard to free up my second PCIe slot. I already have Win7 preordered and am really looking forward to DiRT2 (I'm a huge fan of GRID) and its full DX11 support. I'd wait for an X2 but it will likely take a while, the price is an unknown and Crossfire still doesn't scale well beyond two cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom