• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Discussion On The ATI Radeon 5*** Series Before They Have Been Released Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Man, I need to see some leaked screens of this baby. My GTX 275 is barely 3 days old. That said, I do kinda want it to play Batman AA. I wonder if I should just keep it and sell it on for a small loss later, or return it back to OcUK and wait it out.

Hmmm...decisions decisions...

Soldato
Nice timing to sell my GTX295 on a famous auction site a few days ago while price is good, will use a really low rating/cheap card for a few weeks no big deal.

/Grumpy mode on....

Bet their all reference cooler releases :(

*Prays for some nice cooling on the new releases*

Soldato
Maybe the accelero coolers for 4870's will fit on these new cards.

Anybody think my psu might be enough for 2? apparently the new ones use hardly any more power.. unless its wise to wait for the x2 but months later.

Associate
Very good news, and surprising. Looks like those rumours of a Septemeber release was correct, and so many doubted them;)

Probably put off getting my rig till end of October, hopefully then any problems sorted out and prices don't kill me.

Hopefully Overclockers get a prebuilt system with a Core I7 with one of these new Gpu's and is nicely priced around £1000-£1100:)

Soldato
They havn't announced a launch date yet. :confused:

10th of september? :confused:

"The word is finally out. AMD will launch it’s much anticipated next generation graphics processors code name “Evergreen” on September 10th; ahead of Windows 7’s launch in late October.."

I didn't mean in shops but they wouldn't be showcasing it either if it had problems with the 40nm fabrication were significant.

Last edited:
Associate
Does anyone know how much these cards are likely to cost? I'm after a 4890 at the moment but if there's a (for example) 5890 that's a similar price next month then I'll be waiting for that. If I'm not going to be able to get a similar dx11 card without spending £100 more then I'll just get a 4890 and upgrade in a year or so.

Man of Honour
Does anyone know how much these cards are likely to cost? I'm after a 4890 at the moment but if there's a (for example) 5890 that's a similar price next month then I'll be waiting for that. If I'm not going to be able to get a similar dx11 card without spending £100 more then I'll just get a 4890 and upgrade in a year or so.

5890 wont follow til a few months after. Same with the X2.

Man of Honour
The prior generation of ATI cards was such high performance and so cheap that they forced Nvidia to hastily put together competitive video cards.

Seems to be written from a slightly biased viewpoint, don't forget that the GTX2x0 series launched before the HD48x0 series. The only thing Nvidia did really from a 'haste' perspective was to cut prices, their product was already out there.

Associate
Seems to be written from a slightly biased viewpoint, don't forget that the GTX2x0 series launched before the HD48x0 series. The only thing Nvidia did really from a 'haste' perspective was to cut prices, their product was already out there.

Well they did rush out the 260-216 when it was apparent that the 1GB 4870 was more than a match for the original.

Soldato
Well they did rush out the 260-216 when it was apparent that the 1GB 4870 was more than a match for the original.

Not really, the GTX260 and the 512mb 4870 were pretty much on par apart from cost and both decided to up the game to out perform each other. So we ended up with the 260-216 and the 1gb 4870 in a the same time frame.

Although ATI were probably going to release a 1gb version regardless and Nvidia had to up the specs to compete.

Associate
Not really, the GTX260 and the 512mb 4870 were pretty much on par apart from cost and both decided to up the game to out perform each other. So we ended up with the 260-216 and the 1gb 4870 in a the same time frame.

Although ATI were probably going to release a 1gb version regardless and Nvidia had to up the specs to compete.

I would guarantee that without the 4870 we would not have seen the 216 shader part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom