• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Discussion On The ATI Radeon 5*** Series Before They Have Been Released Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Agreed! Be warned that if you do it too much then you'll be blacklisted from purchasing from them ever again. They won't stand for people taking the $%^"

And lets face it, OcUK get some cracking deals!

See in my case I actually have a legitamate problem, but even then im not sure if its morally right to return the card to upgrade.

Caporegime
10th of september? :confused:

Thats not the launch date, thats the pre-launch press/partner briefing that isn't it (judging by the screenshot of the invite), and if so, then thats the date they will announce the launch date for the cards, and that could be weeks later (like the 2900's, as wasn't their pre-launch press/partner briefing sometime in April, when they then announced the cards were going to be launched sometime in May). :confused:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Earlier than i expected..

anybody think nvidia are going to be far ahead with their gt300? the time gap makes me think so..

then again who knows

No, the gt300 won't be leagues ahead for several reasons, the chip was designed to be released well, early this year, failed respins and crappy TSMC doesn't give them licence to change a core thats been in the works for likely between a 18-24months. You can't test it on the new 40nm when its finally out, find it doesn't work and add a massive number of shaders before trying again.

Thats the problem with late/non working cores you get them working you don't have time to change them. The 2900xt didn't have 50% shaders added because it was late and they were forced to move it back to 90nm.

Personally I'm thinking the speed increase from multithreading and the simple design of dx11 will lend itself to far more programability, which will lend itself to being better able to use the clusters of SP's on AMD cards better. Theres no efficiency to be gained by Nvidia's cards, theres 240 shaders, they can all basically work every time. AMD however have clusters, sometimes it can get the full power out, sometimes only 1/5, averages to somewhere in the middle because its hard to code for. IT should get easier and easier to code for as gaming and DX versions move towards more programability though.

Theres even the chance that the GT300 will not hit the clock speeds it needs, a la 2900xt, because the process simply isn't up to what it was designed to do. The higher shader clock on the Nvidia architechture is at a distinct disadvantage due to leaky power processes being worse the higher the speed.

Then again, that could hurt AMD just as easily, they may have wanted the core to come at at 1Ghz but the leakage might mean they can only get stability at 850Mhz. Theres a lot to be seen and no matter what both companies designed and expected to be ready, TSMC have had a big hand in changing their plans.

Last edited:
Soldato
10th for the press, doubt we'll see anything till october and even then it will be november before we see reasonable pricing. Look forward to some good MM market deals ;)

Soldato
10th for the press, doubt we'll see anything till october and even then it will be november before we see reasonable pricing. Look forward to some good MM market deals ;)

I don't see any benefit of them doing a 'paper launch' or even announcing these cards before they're ready to supply them, even in limited quantity...

They did it with the 2900 because the 8xxx series from nvidia was out so they needed to try to stop people going for nvidia, this time they're the first so they'd only get bad press if they do a paper launch...

Prices I agree with, but I'm planning to go triple monitor for iRacing in september, so need a bit of an upgrade to handle 5760x1200 with decent details/AA :p

Soldato
would be nice if 5850 would be faster then 285

Nooooo..I want to go Nvidia for my next GPU, just fancy a change as i have been ATI since 2005, and im hoping Nvidia will drop the prices on the top range cards to compete until their new range appear.

I dont want a faster ATI to tempt me away from a cheap 285.....:D

If they do, i might never escape ATI's embrace....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom