• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Discussion On The ATI Radeon 5*** Series Before They Have Been Released Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
For anyone in San Francisco on the 10th :p

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1336000305

AMD's been cooking up some very cool stuff ... if you were at QuakeCon you might have already seen a sneak peek.

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but here goes ...

On the evening of September 10th in San Francisco, AMD would like to invite fans to join us for the unveiling of a new visual PC experience. Basically, I can't say exactly what you're going to see there, but I can tell you that we’ll be holding a big party with food, drink and tunes, very cool demos of unreleased games, incredible hardware set-ups you have to see to believe and a lot more.

Interested in joining us?? Send me an e-mail at [email protected] with the following details:

Name:
Forum name:
Blog/website (if you have one):

Apologies if this has been posted, think they did something similar for R600 launch IIRC.

Soldato
http://www.firingsquad.com.cn/fsnews/view_17787.html

Translation said:
It is reported, AMD last week, meeting with the graphics card makers revealed, will be launched in 2009 in the fourth quarter with two RV870 core, code-named R800 Hemlock high-end graphics cards.

Although AMD has not officially set a model name, but not unexpected, then this will make the legendary Radeon HD 5870 X2, 2 cores CrossFireX technology for collaborative computing and more efficient, although the specifications yet, but the known pairs of cards GT300 architecture is not as adversaries.

Radeon HD 5870 X2 price will be set at 599 U.S. dollars, while also continue to introduce a lower core frequency Radeon HD 5850 X2, priced at 499 U.S. dollars.

According to the latest planning AMD graphics cards, RV870 Radeon HD 5800 series will be in the fourth quarter (10 month) into the market, but the Radeon HD 4800/4700 family will stay, but transferred to the field of entry to the mainstream level until the first quarter of 2010 from the on RV870 mainstream-level version of the RV840 replaced by a new generation of entry-level chip RV830 and RV810 low-end chips will have to battle in the first quarter of 2010.

Associate
So far as the tech specs go, I've been reading a few forums speculating that the 5870 is a 256 bit part, but the 5870x2 and/or, the replacement later on (I assume, the 5890) are 384 bit cards.

Anyone heard anything along those lines? I thought they where all 1GB, 256 bit GDDR5 cards (per GPU atleast).

Associate
So far as the tech specs go, I've been reading a few forums speculating that the 5870 is a 256 bit part, but the 5870x2 and/or, the replacement later on (I assume, the 5890) are 384 bit cards.

Anyone heard anything along those lines? I thought they where all 1GB, 256 bit GDDR5 cards (per GPU atleast).
I heard that this time the X2 would actually have better specs than the standalone cards but can't remember the source of it.

Anyway, $600 for the 5870X2 works out at about £370 converted, so about £425 after the "reality tax" is added. That sounds alright to me... I just hope they're released in a sensible timeframe (hopefully at the same time as the other cards but preferably within a month). I just can't wait to play DiRT2 in all its glory (I'm a huge GRID fan), though I'm annoyed at Microsoft because the wireless 360 controller receiver broke within a couple of months - really shoddy.

Soldato
I heard that this time the X2 would actually have better specs than the standalone cards but can't remember the source of it.

Anyway, $600 for the 5870X2 works out at about £370 converted, so about £425 after the "reality tax" is added. That sounds alright to me... I just hope they're released in a sensible timeframe (hopefully at the same time as the other cards but preferably within a month). I just can't wait to play DiRT2 in all its glory (I'm a huge GRID fan), though I'm annoyed at Microsoft because the wireless 360 controller receiver broke within a couple of months - really shoddy.

Same, really want to see the pricing on the 5870x2 and also want it availiable for the end of the month when i get paid! :D

Soldato
well, from all the speculation ect ect, im hopeing the single 5870s are cheaper than the x2 versions becuse surely amd/ati cant charge people more money than what the x2 will sell at.

i know 2 boards ect ect but if the prices are anything to go by £420 for the x2 ect that would put the single 5870s at a £210 price point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom