• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Discussion On The ATI Radeon 5*** Series Before They Have Been Released Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, though I know ATi allow for different cards to be crossfired together i.e a 4890 and a 4870; I am in the belief that it hands out the work proportionally based on each cards speed such as a 60/40 ratio on the 4890/4870 respectively [I may be wrong though]

I figure even having a slightly older card like a 4890 would still throw a couple of extra fps into the mix for games, just a though though.
ATI's solution is that it clocks down the faster card to the slower card's speed.

How this is load balanced depends on the technique used, since there are lots of ways of doing multi-card rendering - AFR etc.

When Crossfire first arrived you had 'master' and 'slave' cards, but the whole thing was far too fiddly so they just made the whole thing homogenous.

ATI's solution is that it clocks down the faster card to the slower card's speed.

How this is load balanced depends on the technique used, since there are lots of ways of doing multi-card rendering - AFR etc.

When Crossfire first arrived you had 'master' and 'slave' cards, but the whole thing was far too fiddly so they just made the whole thing homogenous.

Ati cards do not clock down to the slower card in crossfire thats nvidia sli. In crossfire each card stays at there own core clocks.

I'm amazed that there havn't been any leaked benchmarks yet. Are reviews expected to be out on the 10th, or is ATi just releasing more card details then?

I dont think it will work, I remember last year when we where all getting excited about the 4800s a few of the guys where looking into the idea of pairing there 3800 series card to a 4800. I dont think AMD are up for mixing the series. Which to be fair, is understandable, I mean, if your current 4890 gave you the performance boost from say a 5850 to a 5870, thats $100 AMD has ''lost'' out on if you chose the 5850 for that reason.

Last edited:
I'll eat my hat if it is anywhere near 210

What sauce would you like to go with that? :D

Also, bearing in mind that I'm not talking about the rip-off prices that OcUK will inevitably charge.

Not every retailer does price gouge though, so there'll be a fair few with them priced correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom