• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Discussion On The ATI Radeon 5*** Series Before They Have Been Released Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cant see the 5870 at £210 but we all wish

Maybe you can't, but I got ragged on for saying the same thing about the 4800s.

It's not wishful thinking, more common sense. There's a lot of reasons to suggest such pricing for 5800s.

Until we hear anything else official from ATi, there's no reason to beleive they'll price their cards at anything other than:

$199/£140

and

$299/£210.

Aw, come on, with that stuff eating your hat isn't even much of a gamble. It's much like saying, 'if the card is priced this much, I will sit down to a damned enjoyable meal'. :p

I would thinking the same thing, except I've never tried it, but I've heard it's supposed to be a good sauce. :D

I think if these cards are going to be as gd as ppl say then i think amd/ati might try for a slightly higher price seeing as though nvidia wont be releasing any competition for a while , then drop there prices when nvidia do decide to release another bank breaker

ATI's solution is that it clocks down the faster card to the slower card's speed.

How this is load balanced depends on the technique used, since there are lots of ways of doing multi-card rendering - AFR etc.

When Crossfire first arrived you had 'master' and 'slave' cards, but the whole thing was far too fiddly so they just made the whole thing homogenous.

It doesn't clock the faster cards speed down, the faster card just keeps stopping and waiting for the slower, as they have to run in sync, so you are basically running 2x exact same cards, i.e if you had 2x 4830's in xfire, they would be running exactly the same as a 4830 paired with a 4870 (as the 4870 wiould be running as a 4830 due to having to stop and wait for it all the time), and you can't pair different series cards, so a 5800 series won't pair with a 4800, only another 5800.

Nvidai's SLi does the syncing different, it automatically matches the clock speeds by over/underclocking cards, so doesn't have to do stopping and waiting. :)

Last edited:
There was a review posted before that tested different speed cards in Xfire, and they showed that the faster card was stopping all the time to keep it in sync with the slower instead of reducing its clocks to match it, or overclocking the slower card to match, which is what SLi does to sync.

Last edited:
Based on the time it took for the 4870x2 to be released after the 48xx release, can anyone estimate how long it will take for the 5870x2 to come out? I'm tempted to get one of those if they are around the £350-400 mark.

Also, what's the performance increase from 4850 to 4870, and is the same expected?

I know there is no conclusive evidence, but surely someone can... guesstimate? ;)

I'd be inclined to say about 2 months after the initial 58xx line come out. I figure ATi will use the 5870x2 and/or 5850x2 as a means to combat any powerhouse 3xx series gpu's that nvidia launch in response the 58xx line. That price point sounds about right, who knows the nvidia competition might even knock a few £££ off of a price like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom