• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Discussion On The ATI Radeon 5*** Series Before They Have Been Released Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
cheaper the better, but, probably closer to £200 if not more to start, just wait till after xmas and/or when nvidea come out with their new stuff prices will plumet

Can some kind soul point me to a place where these new cards are compared to the current crop - I'm hovering over the buy button for a 4890

Fanx

Can some kind soul point me to a place where these new cards are compared to the current crop - I'm hovering over the buy button for a 4890

Fanx

That's what we're all waiting for. From what Tom said, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw leaks tomorrow, but if not we'll get the info we want on the 10th.

Be patient and wait until the tenth even if it's just to see how they are.

the only game that will test even a current gen is crysis and that not worth the hundreds outlay for a few fps.

mw2 will be like cod mw or near enough there arnt any games to stress anything at mo .

hopefully they get the cooling right on these new cards cause thats the only thing i didnt like on the 4XXX series as they were too hot.

the only game that will test even a current gen is crysis and that not worth the hundreds outlay for a few fps.

mw2 will be like cod mw or near enough there arnt any games to stress anything at mo .

hopefully they get the cooling right on these new cards cause thats the only thing i didnt like on the 4XXX series as they were too hot.

Did the temperature have a detrimental effect on the card or your PC? If not, then there's no reason to complain about it.

They're able to withstand their high operating temperatures as it's within their thermal threshold.

yes it makes my pc work harder to control the extra heat = more noise .

also dont like the heat being 100c 24/7 yes that within the threshold but its way to hot for my liking. yes i could by a custom cooler but they should have just put decent cooling on the cards in the first place.

also dont like the heat being 100c 24/7 yes that within the threshold but its way to hot for my liking. yes i could by a custom cooler but they should have just put decent cooling on the cards in the first place.

If the card was 100 degrees at idle there was something seriousely wrong with your card or your case, most cards idle at 50-60 degrees, 100 should be at the top end of it heat level after hours of gaming or stress testing.

Decent cooling is entirely subjective to you.

If they've designed it to be fine at such temperatures, it's not actually 'too hot' with rubbish cooling except to your liking.

You may not like the heat they put out, but that's due to you being used to cards that aren't as hot so therefore it seems abnormal.

If it's heating the rest of your system up, that's another issue, but rear exhaust cards should be fine for heat, what the core is is irrelevant as long as it's within its operating temps.

To me, it's like saying the PS3 gets too hot because the PS2 ran a lot cooler.

oh look the overclockers good side comes out to prove you wrong :(

look how many threads are on the cooling subject on 4xxx series cards.

did i say it was a 100 at idle ?

it would have cost them a little more to put better coolers on the cards . which they did do near the end of the 4xxx series end. why do you think they did that out of love :D

there arnt any if a handful of games that stress the current gen. there wont be any either unless you on a 30 inch monitor playing crysis until the next big engine comes out.

where ruled by consoles so basically they push bigger screens down your throat to get the new cards sold.

"What about ArmA II and Clear Sky? The are plenty of games that will benefit from the performance, particularly if you game at higher resolutions."

exactly how many do game at 30 or above? you mention clear sky which basically no one plays or not masses play. crysis is just a benchmark game .who do you know who plays every day on crysis? nonone.

majority are playing cod 4 , wow, counterstrike or some other game which will run flawlessly on current cards.

i look forward to the new cards and will probably get one myself to go with my new phenom 2 rig but its not out of need to.

Last edited:
oh look the overclockers good side comes out to prove you wrong :(

look how many threads are on the cooling subject on 4xxx series cards.

did i say it was a 100 at idle ?

it would have cost them a little more to put better coolers on the cards . which they did do near the end of the 4xxx series end. why do you think they did that out of love :D

there arnt any if a handful of games that stress the current gen. there wont be any either unless you on a 30 inch monitor playing crysis until the next big engine comes out.

where ruled by consoles so basically they push bigger screens down your throat to get the new cards sold.

"What about ArmA II and Clear Sky? The are plenty of games that will benefit from the performance, particularly if you game at higher resolutions."

exactly how many do game at 30 or above? you mention clear sky which basically no one plays or not masses play. crysis is just a benchmark game .who do you know who plays every day on crysis? nonone.

majority are playing cod 4 , wow, counterstrike or some other game which will run flawlessly on current cards.

i look forward to the new cards and will probably get one myself to go with my new phenom 2 rig but its not out of need to.

A lot of assumptions there.

Also, you didn't say 100c at idle, but you did say 100c 24/7, so what do you expect people to conclude?

You don't have a clue how many people do or don't play crysis/clearsky/Arma II every day, you know you don't, but you don't know the habits of everyone else.

There are a lot of people who mod crysis, technically they're not playing 'crysis' but they're running the cryengine, so arguably, they're running a 'game' that needs the same power as crysis.

How about people gaming across multiple screens? You may argue 'there's not many' but there's quite a large forum dedicated to such a set up.

We're also no 'ruled' by consoles, and we're not being forced to buy monitors, I know I haven't been forced by anyone into buying a monitor I didn't want.

If some one was trying to shove a monitor down my throat I'd be fighting them off to be honest, the throat isn't a particularly ideal place for a monitor.

The 5870 is going to be a beast in Clearsky, Arma 2 and the upcoming Operation Flashpoint 2. The latter two already run better on ATi hardware and I predict OFP2 will run better on ATi, since it's based on the same engine GRID uses (which runs better on ATi).

Just for those reasons, I'd get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom