• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Discussion On The ATI Radeon 5*** Series Before They Have Been Released Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Dirt 2 is going to be first and the last DX11 game." LOOOOOOL thanks for your input in this now if you don't mind the rest of us will continue to discuss the real world. There will be a good take up of dx11 it seems as developers seem to be already warming to it no doubt due to the good reception of win7.

The basic story goes that DX10.1 is what DX10 pretty much should have been, but was neutered as Nvidia couldnt fit all the tech onto the 8800 silicon in time and get it all working; so stuff like native tesselation, and some of the programmable shader etc stuff was removed [ironically Nvidia said this was all useless; yet its all now part of DX11, and also Nv released some low end DX10.1 mobile parts recently...if so unimportant why bother], whilst DX11 incorporates all of what made DX10.1 good and builds on it. How true it is I dont know; but again with Nvidias marketting clout I could believe it, especially where money is involved, and Nvidia have plenty of that.
NVAPI supports many of the DX10.1 features before they ever became features of DX10.1. Thus DX10 nvidia cards actually support many of the advanced AA features of DX10.1.

The more extensive version of NVAPI requires you to be a "special" developer though - http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nvapi.html

I think this became fairly known when FarCry 2 came out - as it was the first game to take advantage of these features.

I thought the conference was today? Day before the launch? :p

As far as pricing goes, i'd put good money on £150 for the 5850 and £250 for the 5870.

NVAPI supports many of the DX10.1 features before they ever became features of DX10.1. Thus DX10 nvidia cards actually support many of the advanced AA features of DX10.1.

The more extensive version of NVAPI requires you to be a "special" developer though - http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nvapi.html

I think this became fairly known when FarCry 2 came out - as it was the first game to take advantage of these features.

The simple fact is many features were meant to be part of dx10, however they couldnt complete the suite. That you have to use a vendor specific API to access what should have been available for general access is laughable, and further points to the fact they tried to get all of DX10.1 working but failed so settled on an amended spec meanwhile the complete reference spec was dubbed 10.1 later on so that devs could use if they wish, with NV offering partial compatability to the tune of parts they had managed to implement.

The question I want answered is will the 5870 series will finally nail Crysis at 60 fps running native 24" res running with all its features.

I will be buying the 5870x2 around Christmas time, as thats when I'll be buying a new rig. I am really looking forward to seeing these things in action.

He's just demonstrated the lengths he'll go to as a fanboy.

He's only slating DX11 because he must assume it's an ATi thing and he isn't aware that nVidia are having to follow suit.

As soon as we hear more info on NV's DX11 cards and he'll most probably be all over DX11.

Agreed, theres just loads of two faced people on here, just look at all those who were slating PhysX months ago, remember, everytime Pottsey posted they were all in there ruining his threads, slagging it to death, taking **** out of him to, then Nvidia announced they were going to disable it when they detect an ATi card, and the exact same people are up in arms, you couldn't make it up, i mean if if its as useless and pointless as you were constantly saying back then, and it will never be used as its just a gimmick, why are you bothered, and why now is it going to change the face of gaming, which it must be going to do now, as your all crying over it being disabled.

Tesselation, ATi had it since the 1k series, all them years ago they were getting slagged to death, tesselation, utterly useless, it'll never be used pmsl blah, blah, blah, same goes for Dx10.1, but now look, Nvidia's doing Dx10.1 and tesselation, and what a surprise, not one single post from those people giving them a right slagging off, who'd have thought it ey, they change their faces like the ******* weather :D

EDIT: Heres another one, hotfix drivers, someone starts a thread about an ATi hotfix driver, the usuals go in ruining it, taking the **** etc..., but when Nvidia release a hotfix driver, the exact same people are in those threads posting, ahh cheers for the heads up, downloading now etc....

Last edited:
EDIT: Heres another one, hotfix drivers, someone starts a thread about an ATi hotfix driver, the usuals go in ruining it, taking the **** etc..., but when Nvidia release a hotfix driver, the exact same people are in those threads posting, ahh cheers for the heads up, downloading now etc....

Because ATI Drivers are ALL BAD m'kay?

The question I want answered is will the 5870 series will finally nail Crysis at 60 fps running native 24" res running with all its features.

The question I want answered is "Who cares"?

I'd be more interested in how it runs good games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom