• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Discussion On The ATI Radeon 5*** Series Before They Have Been Released Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
those prices better not be real becuse if thats the case i will be getting 2x4890s.

how can ATI/AMD sell 5870 single cards for 399 usd = £240 then the shop adds money on makeing £270 per card

double that | £510 ?????? but it says 599usd for the x2 version so that would make it £360 now how can that be right ???? and thats without adding 15% shop tax, so how can amd/ati sell single cards at way over the price of a x2 wich is basicly 2 of those cards on 1 pcb ??????

i dont get the priceing, should the 2x single cards = the amount or be £20 over the amount of a x2 price ???

well if these prices are correct i dont know what i will do lol this is gonna suck hard on the 10th.

How do you mean DX10 was butchered

From what l remember Nvidia wasn't able to implement all the proposed DX10 features and Microsoft was forced not to implement them in DX10 because they weren't compatible with Nvidia hardware.

Lets hope DX11 brings new and exciting tools to developers to play with.

The basic story goes that DX10.1 is what DX10 pretty much should have been, but was neutered as Nvidia couldnt fit all the tech onto the 8800 silicon in time and get it all working; so stuff like native tesselation, and some of the programmable shader etc stuff was removed [ironically Nvidia said this was all useless; yet its all now part of DX11, and also Nv released some low end DX10.1 mobile parts recently...if so unimportant why bother], whilst DX11 incorporates all of what made DX10.1 good and builds on it. How true it is I dont know; but again with Nvidias marketting clout I could believe it, especially where money is involved, and Nvidia have plenty of that.

Due to a lot of (arguably silly) naysaying of Vista as well, DX10 was always going to find take up a little so so anyway, as you required Vista to use the new WDDM and DX model; with W7 and Vista both supporting DX11, and the initial feedback from 7 being very promising, the take up for users and developers should be a lot higher.

Last edited:
Price difference between 4890 -> 5850 £30 more? leads me to believe that it's not going to be much more powerful, as for the 5870 at £70 more who knows..

and they arent going to drop price much more on 4890's so i hope the price isn't going to mean only a tad better performance.

Price is irrelevant when it comes to how their cards perform, otherwise we would have see 4850s for £250+ considering they performed on par of not better than a 3870X2.

In reality, they were £120

The new cards replace the old, and similar price points.

You have to also bare in mind that the 4800s are getting replaced with DX11 parts too, they will perform similar, but be the middle end 5 series.

Care to give an explanation as to why?

DX10 was never really picked up because it was butchered, DX11 (assuming it isn't, we hope) is solid software, there is no reason on earth developers would not start using it.

He's just demonstrated the lengths he'll go to as a fanboy.

He's only slating DX11 because he must assume it's an ATi thing and he isn't aware that nVidia are having to follow suit.

As soon as we hear more info on NV's DX11 cards and he'll most probably be all over DX11.

Last edited:
those prices better not be real becuse if thats the case i will be getting 2x4890s.

how can ATI/AMD sell 5870 single cards for 399 usd = £240 then the shop adds money on makeing £270 per card

double that | £510 ?????? but it says 599usd for the x2 version so that would make it £360 now how can that be right ???? and thats without adding 15% shop tax, so how can amd/ati sell single cards at way over the price of a x2 wich is basicly 2 of those cards on 1 pcb ??????

i dont get the priceing, should the 2x single cards = the amount or be £20 over the amount of a x2 price ???

well if these prices are correct i dont know what i will do lol this is gonna suck hard on the 10th.

You don't get the pricing because it's fake information.

There's no chance that 2 5850s is going to cost the same amount as a 5870X2 and there's no chance 2 5870s are going to cost $200 more than a 5870X2.

Couple that with powercolour's 'leak' of $299 for the highend DX11 GPU, which will be the 5870, and we've got pretty solid reasoning to think the 5870 will be £210 and the 5850 will be £140.

Also, you have to bare in mind that ATi don't sell their cards for $399, or $299, the price listed is what they set the standard price at.

What retailers will pay will be a lot less.

Say a 5850 is £140, about £20 of that is VAT, so that's £120. I'd expect the price from the warehouse including shipping costs would be around £80-90, just for example, as I'm not sure what the real purchase price is.

But anyway, the $199 and $299 prices are end user prices, what you'd expect to pay the shop for the product.

I'm just worried about the prices of these cards. We have been, for lack of a better word, "spoilt" by the recent pricing scheme employed by ATI/Nvidia. Ati's aggressive pricing of the 4890 has forced Nvidia to lower the prices of virtually all it's high end cards (barring the gtx295) and the price war combined with the recession has produced stonking cards in the form of the 4890 and GTX275 for peanuts. However, with ATI taking the crown with this new generation they will have the run of things for a few months at least, I'm guessing they might take the opportunity to move the price points up a bit, I know I would =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom