• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Discussion On The ATI Radeon 5*** Series Before They Have Been Released Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope it's not true about the 40% performance increase, i thought we were expecting about 60% at least.
From that link, needs more than +40% to put it near a 295.
AlienBabelTech is proud to be the first with a photo of the not-yet-released, under-NDA, HD 5870 here this morning

According to our own sources, the new HD 5870 offers over 1600 Stream processors. Amazingly AMD doubled the number of SIMD units from 10 to 20. Since every SIMD unit contains 16 5-D units and a Quad-TMU overall, that means we count 1600 stream processors and 80 TMUs. We are talking about a new videocard whose core speed is at 850 MHz and whose 256-bit GDDR5 runs at 1200 MHz – all for the suggested retail of $399! AMD is expecting HD 5870 to come close to the performance of a HD 4870-X2 or GTX 295.

There is a new feature that is called “eyefinity” which means that 3 LCDs can be simultaneously supported at 2560×1600, with options for future cards to support up to six LCDS!!

The HD 5870 die size is slightly over 330 MM2 and packed with over 2 billion transistors. This translates into one beast of a card with just over 150 GB/second bandwidth. It is very likely that the 8X + 8X PCIe CrossFire slots of the new p55 motherboards for Core i5 will become saturated with two of them.

What is outstanding is that we are hearing that the HD 5870 will perform at just over 26 watts at idle and peak below 190 watts maximum!! That is quite a challenge for Nvidia to meet or beat in their own upcoming GT 300 series as the performance to watt ratio is outstanding.

What is also new to watch for in HD 58X0 series besides DX11 capability is that there is a new AA/AF algorithm, where everything on the render back end has been doubled. As a benefit for gamers, that means much less of a performance hit when going from no AA to 4xAA or perhaps even from 4xAA to 8xAA.

The new HD 5850 will launch on September 23 also. We hear it is priced below $299. HD 5850 will sport 1440 stream processors and it will have lower clockspeeds than it’s big brother. We are hearing somewhere around 700/1000 MHz and it can also display simultaneously on 3 LCDs at up to 2560×1600 resolution.

Finally, you can expect the HD 5870-X2 to be released in the second half of October.

You heard it here at AlienBabelTech first. And we also think that you may be pleasantly surprised when you actually get your hands on one.

Mark Poppin

ABT Senior Editor

Last edited:
Going by the prices the HD5870 lowest price will be £220 on launch day and the HD5850 will be around £140 I'm thinking when its launched....

Fancy myself a HD5870 :D

Going by the prices the HD5870 lowest price will be £220 on launch day and the HD5850 will be around £140 I'm thinking when its launched....

Fancy myself a HD5870 :D

If it's got the same performance as a 295GTX and is selling for £220, Nvidia are going to throw some toys out of the pram, big time :o

If it's got the same performance as a 295GTX and is selling for £220, Nvidia are going to throw some toys out of the pram, big time :o

ATI did the same with the HD4870 & HD4850 with performance compared to Nvidia's cards at the price point they had them at and gave them a big shock.

Hopefully this will do the same aswell. No doubt Nvidia will try to spoil the party though.

Going to be a fun few days. :D

What is also new to watch for in HD 58X0 series besides DX11 capability is that there is a new AA/AF algorithm, where everything on the render back end has been doubled. As a benefit for gamers, that means much less of a performance hit when going from no AA to 4xAA or perhaps even from 4xAA to 8xAA.
Interesting!

20090819123358634.jpg

thats from that german site, does anyone think benchies will be released before approx 2-3.00?

thats from that german site, does anyone think benchies will be released before approx 2-3.00?

Basically from ATI we will get a load of slides showing architecture structure, card design, models, performance increases (no specific numbers like fps in games just % increases), power and noise values, pricing and availability.

And then hopefully some "leaked" benchies showing in game and real world performance. :)

Dumb question but why should I buy a 5870 if the 4870 X2 is the better card?

Cheaper, less power consumption, DX11, cooler, quiter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom