• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Discussion On The ATI Radeon 5*** Series Before They Have Been Released Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
PhysX is awesome and I think these new ATI cards will fail because the dirvers will be as rubbish as ever, all show no go.

Heh.

I have as many issues with my Nvidia cards as I do my ATI ones, both companies are as bad as each other in this respect.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The idle power consumption alone would save me a pretty penny each month as my comp is idle 24/7 (never gets turned off as I access it from work).

Absolutely amazing stuff.

Associate
all for under $400.

nvidia are gonna need something special up there sleeve to come even close to these

They will. Quadruple the cost of the 5870 and one will be yours :D

Can't wait for this card, was going to get a 5850 but I'm definitely going for the 5870 now.

And a new 23" monitor and Coolermaster 932. Looks like I'll be back on the dog food for a few months :(

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
What's the base wattage draw of the system then?

No idea, I just googled it.

My PC uses 268watts being idle according to a PSU calc online, that does not account for the gfx card going into idle mode or the lower fan speeds I have + the sub 10% power usage it sits at most of the day so that 268 is probably 100watts less.

I guess I should buy a meter to calculate a day's idleness usage and then again when the 5870 arrives :p

Soldato
ATI 5870
Idle: 27w
Max: 188w

Edit*

*Snip (Picture)*

Puts things into perspective :p

I'm afraid that isn't really a fair comparison since that chart shows the wattage rating of the entire system as opposed to those screen shots which show the wattage of the actual card itself. Regardless of that though, the ATI Radeon 5870 power consumption is still better than the ATI Radeon 4870 which consumes around 90 watts when idle and the ATI Radeon 4890 which consumes about 60 watts when idle.

Sapphire Toxic HD 4890 Vapor-X review - Page 2: AMD's Radeon series 4890 RV790 ASIC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom