Disgusting display of Racism

Soldato
Why? Has the Yorkshire leadership all changed since he stopped playing (genuine question as I don’t know)

Some of it has and he is pushing for a clear out at the top. I could be wrong, but if I'm right expect to see Rafiq himself in a leadership role at the club within the next 24 months. This whole thing, when you take a step back and look again, really looks like a massive power play.

Soldato
Some of it has and he is pushing for a clear out at the top. I could be wrong, but if I'm right expect to see Rafiq himself in a leadership role at the club within the next 24 months. This whole thing, when you take a step back and look again, really looks like a massive power play.

Lmao hes a victim of racism at a very large scale and its a power play?

Soldato
Lmao hes a victim of racism at a very large scale and its a power play?

He is definitely a victim of racism. No argument from me there.

But it's interesting to watch where this is going and what is being done with that knowledge. There is definitely a change in power happening at the club - old leaders are being ousted and replaced, maybe with good reason. But watch who benefits from that.

Soldato

If it was the same leadership there, that oversaw his abuse and did nothing then I could understand why he wants a clear out. If some of them are new relative to when he was there, then I don’t really see why they need to go.

Soldato
That’s my feeling. Comes across like a disgruntled ex-employee throwing mud at their former company IMO.

If individuals have made offensive comments then they should be held to account for them.

However this whole “systemic and institutionalised” discrimination and calls for specific people to lose their jobs makes it sound like a politically charged witch hunt by Rafiq IMO.

Soldato
we're still waiting for other coloured cricketers to corroborate Rafiq's accusations/experience too, lone'ish voice

Adil Rashid has - Adil Rashid 'confirms Azeem Rafiq's recollection of Michael Vaughan's comments' - BBC Sport
Rana Naved-ul-Hasan has Former Yorkshire player Rana Naved-ul-Hasan says he heard Vaughan's racist comments (espncricinfo.com)

That is 3/4 about the 'your lot' comment

Tino Best has also had his say from his stint there in 2010 Azeem Rafiq: Tino Best says cricket needs to tackle drinking culture - BBC Sport

Here's Cheteshwar Pujara talking about the 'Steve' comments in 2018 - ESPNcricinfo on Twitter: "They call me Steve! Cheteshwar Pujara jokes about how his Yorkshire team-mates struggle to pronounce his real name https://t.co/X1EsxnqMiJ" / Twitter ; the fact he says he prefers to be called his name 3 times in 30 seconds says it all, really. He's too polite a player to kick up, but it's obvious he didn't like it.

I'm not going to say anymore on the matter because as a die-hard cricket fan this whole week has been nothing but awful, and the ECB need to get their house in order right from the top.

Caporegime
Pretty sure every race related argument comes back to this for you. Two totally different things happening here.

Aren't we talking about actions and consequences of racist abuse?

My point is when tens of thousands of young girls were groomed and raped, it was covered up, there was no witch hunt.

When a cricketer gets cops some racist abuse it triggers multiple job losses for those not directly involved and large financial implications.

Of course racist abuse is really bad, but I'm pretty sure we didn't see this amount of backlash to rape gangs and the businesses who's premises they used and so on.

Very odd.

Caporegime
Adil Rashid has - Adil Rashid 'confirms Azeem Rafiq's recollection of Michael Vaughan's comments' - BBC Sport
Rana Naved-ul-Hasan has Former Yorkshire player Rana Naved-ul-Hasan says he heard Vaughan's racist comments (espncricinfo.com)

Tino Best has also had his say from his stint there in 2010 Azeem Rafiq: Tino Best says cricket needs to tackle drinking culture - BBC Sport

Here's Cheteshwar Pujara talking about the 'Steve' comments in 2018 - ESPNcricinfo on Twitter: "They call me Steve! Cheteshwar Pujara jokes about how his Yorkshire team-mates struggle to pronounce his real name https://t.co/X1EsxnqMiJ" / Twitter ; the fact he says he prefers to be called his name 3 times in 30 seconds says it all, really. He's too polite a player to kick up, but it's obvious he didn't like it.

I'm not going to say anymore on the matter because as a die-hard cricket fan this whole week has been nothing but awful, and the ECB need to get their house in order right from the top.

Being upset for being called Steve seems...a bit wet. Most people get my name wrong and it's not even that difficult to pronounce. I don't cry about it. Its a name, it doesn't define who you are.

Soldato

even this comment could be a back-handed compliment - that many of the gifted players are from pakistan/jamaica/ etc. origins.
there is enough misinterpretation of similar comments between age demographics - ********** etc.
it depends if it was said with malice too, and if Vaughn said it wasn't that in his recollection - ok.

Rafiq's comments about drink culture - if he felt compelled to drink despite being Muslim - he should have stood up for himself.

Caporegime
Caporegime
My point is when tens of thousands of young girls were groomed and raped, it was covered up, there was no witch hunt.

It was an absolutely huge scandal, the police commissioner for South Yorks resigned along with a load of people from the council. The government got involved and replaced elected councillors with commissioners, official reports cited the whole council wasn't fit for purpose.

Plus they got someone on an internet forum using little white girls to build straw man arguments about anything and everything to do with race so there is that.

Being upset for being called Steve seems...a bit wet. Most people get my name wrong and it's not even that difficult to pronounce. I don't cry about it. Its a name, it doesn't define who you are.

It's deliberately disrespectful and I would lost my **** if someone did it at work on purpose. Getting a name wrong by mistake and calling someone 'Steve' despite them asking to be called by their name are totally different things.

Caporegime
It was an absolutely huge scandal, the police commissioner for South Yorks resigned along with a load of people from the council. The government got involved and replaced elected councillors with commissioners, official reports cited the whole council wasn't fit for purpose.

Plus they got someone on an internet forum using little white girls to build straw man arguments about anything and everything to do with race so there is that.

It's deliberately disrespectful and I would lost my **** if someone did it at work on purpose. Getting a name wrong by mistake and calling someone 'Steve' despite them asking to be called by their name are totally different things.

Such was the gang's hold over its victims, when one of the girls was left naked and abandoned after a gang rape, it was one of her abusers she phoned for help, not her social worker or the police.

Some of the girls contracted sexually transmitted infections and became pregnant - or both - with one 12-year-old girl, who was branded with the initial of a man who claimed to "own her", being made to have a back-room abortion.

10 years and it's still not fully resolved.

Associate
I'm against affirmative action, but this is not that, it's a private bank funding the education of students that already have a place at the uni, they can give money to whoever they like as far as I care and I don't see how it's racist, it's not disadvantaging other groups of students.

It discriminates based on race, which is the literal definition of racism.

Back
Top Bottom