Dishonored - Thread

Soldato
gaming as Daud in the DLC is the best of Dishonored, Dishonored is my favourite game, the Whale Slaughterhouse is really good but a bit disturbing, mind you; it gives you a good excuse to kill them all i suppose :D !!!!

one problem......it's way too short, in fact; i dont know how they made the game so damn short, because that's a skill in itself !!!!

you need to understand what Daud is about, so you really do need the dlc,
i think Daud, if you kill him in the main game, meets his maker after the end of the dlc, you come along later, but i replayed the main game and let him live

Soldato
REally enjoyed the original and just played thru the DLC (KoD)
Bit of an abrupt ending tbh :( Shame I thought it would be longer, still enjoyed it tho, still think the game, skills and combat work really well with kbm.
Now to go back and find the few pickups I missed

it was obvious that the other person in the dlc was going to try and kill you soon, but as usual..... it's too damn short, so the ending came too quickly, it needed another level

also, the main game needed two additional levels

Can't type for toffee
Don
gaming as Daud in the DLC is the best of Dishonored, Dishonored is my favourite game, the Whale Slaughterhouse is really good but a bit disturbing, mind you; it gives you a good excuse to kill them all i suppose :D !!!!

one problem......it's way too short, in fact; i dont know how they made the game so damn short, because that's a skill in itself !!!!

you need to understand what Daud is about, so you really do need the dlc,
i think Daud, if you kill him in the main game, meets his maker after the end of the dlc, you come along later, but i replayed the main game and let him live

Electrocute the whale then pull its eye out :p
Yeah I caught that in one of the pics at the end.
Definatley too short so far, tried a clean run of the first level, looked fine, end results 3 kills :( :grr:

KoD is the first part of Dauds story, which is why the end seems a bit abrupt. The second part, The Bridgemore Witches, is out later in the year.

Certainly was wanting more lol
Got to that bit, ready for the next map...

END

:(

Soldato
that whale really disturbs me, but i still play that level all the time !!!!!!

the new DLC wont be long either...........because Dishonored dont do long, just short and sweet :cool:

Soldato
no the DLC has one ending only :eek: !!!!!!!!!!!!!

because if you die in that final fight, you have to keep replaying it until you win :D.... but i've never walked off and let the other person live after wounding him/her, because that person deffo deservs to die...so i suppose you could be right.

it's pretty obvious that the person is intending to kill you later on, because him/ her; asks you too many questions and challenges your reasoning once too often, even Daud mentions this !!!!

but the ending comes very quickly and leaves you little time to react, you need to be ready for the ending well in advance, even so; that is quite a good ending :cool:

I hate big boss fights, i prefer quick executions and that's it; game ends, it just seems so much more realistic.

but the trouble with Dishonored is that the endings seem so abrupt, simply because the game is so short.

remember killing Vass in FC3, that was just total rubbish, it should be a one on one shoot out, or a knife fight etc.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Just played thru the DLC again, theres definatley at least 2 different endings :p

I didn't get my complete knife of dunwall without killing anyone achievement tho :(
Even managed Ghost on first and third chapter

Soldato
oh ha ha !!!!!

i've never managed to win any fancy stealth achievements, because i just kill everyone i see, just like in any other shooter :D :D

i dont see the point in spending £30 on a game and letting them all live, after all, the fun is to kill them all isn't it; just like in Borderlands......i just make sure that i hide the bodies.

i'm really waiting for a 2nd game, much more so than that disaster called DOOM 4 !!!!

Dishonored must be close to the best game i've ever played, in fact i cant think of one that's better, only the same

Last edited:
Soldato
Dishonored must be close to the best game i've ever played, in fact i cant think of one that's better, only the same

I'd agree on those thoughts. :) I just completed the game this evening, I've had it installed for some time now but only managed to grab some brief playing moments on it until I had some free time last week. I started getting an hour or two on the trot here and there and it completely drew me in. It was a fantastic game, very atmospheric. Ran brilliantly on what is essentially a very modest and old tech system. I thought the music in particular was worth a specific mention, beautifully crafted and again, very atmospheric.

Awesome all round. I'd give it 9.5/10 only knocking off a tiny part of the score as I felt it was a little short and really didn't want it to end!!. So, DLC - Dunwall City Trials doesn't sound like it would float my boat but The Knife of Dunwall sounds interesting, is it worth grabbing?.

Soldato
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/02/mod-of-the-week-ultimate-difficulty-for-dishonored/

Interesting for people who found sneaking a bit easy/unsatisfying

So, you’ve played Dishonored a few times. You had a mostly (or entirely) non-lethal run, followed by a decidedly more lethal run (to see the game’s bummer ending), and maybe, for good measure, a combat run where you just got into deliberate, chaotic sword fights the whole time. Well, unfold your sword and clutch your weird mechanical heart, because it’s time for another trip through Dunwall with the Ultimate Difficulty Mod. The mod presents you with some new challenges by shaving down your leaning ability to a sliver and by vastly improving your enemies’ perceptions and combat prowess.

Soldato
I am playing Knife of dunwall now...I bought it on release day, but I got a ctd every time I tried to start the game, so I gave up and forgot about it. Anyway, it was a problem with Steam cloud sync. Got it working now!

The first level is epic!

I will probably play through the main game again after this, for the third time!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just beaten this, thoughts below:

+The graphical style is interesting; some sections, especially those on the boat, are very impressive. The general feel of a pestilent environment is done fairly well.
+Reasonable amount of diversity in how you approach objectives, perhaps not quite Deus Ex standard, but more than most
+Good dialogue for the most part
+Nice FPS/RPG hybrid character progression in terms of upgrades, runes etc
+Execution is pretty good i.e. the game pull off most of the concepts they tried to introduce
+Levels are generally well designed, there weren't many places where I got stuck or was stymied when attempting a creative approach
+Excellent performance 100fps+
+Good use of stealth gameplay i.e. doesn't ram it down your thoat with instant-fail rubbish, you can always fall back on your combat or fleeing skills if required

-A few loose ends e.g. I saved Slackjaw and never saw him again
-Ammo is perhaps too plentiful, I probably typically had around 20-45 kills per mission (excluding the Party) and never found myself running low
-I didn't really 'get' the final level i.e. why the protagonists had fallen out with each other (to be fair, I skim read some of the notes so may have missed something)
-Game pacing/scaling felt a bit off i.e. Emily kept getting captured and then rescued again every 5mins as if she was Kim Bauer or something. The scale of the game wasn't quite epic enough - in most games where you are wronged at the beginning you then have a mammoth sequence of quests to claw your way back and overcome your adversaries but here it felt like the status quo had been restored after only a few hours
-Graphics occasionally let it down, in particular some areas look very washed out
-Not enough different levels
-Boss fights seemed a bit easy

Overall I would rate it as a good game especially for those who enjoy hybrids like the Deus Ex / Bioshock series.

Soldato
20-45 kills per mission!... I killed one person on my first playthrough.

re the falling out of the conspirators... That was the whole point of the story! Power corrupts. And Emily was only really kidnapped once tbh

Man of Honour
Exactly - there is a blade hence I don't see why you need so much ammo. The majority of my kills with blade kills but I always had like 30 bullets, 40 bolts etc to fall back on, even if I went on a gun rampage I'd normally collect a reasonable amount of ammo back from my victims. There was rarely a point where I felt like I needed to worry about being overrun or think carefully about whether to use a ranged weapon (contrast with say, Metro 2033).

Not really a big criticism (there are worse flaws for a game to have) especially since you can approach objectives differently - maybe other players who did a lot more killing than me and/or favoured ranged combat might feel differently about the volume of ammo.

edit: I got the 'power corrupts' thing, but that becomes apparent around halfway through the game - it was more the final setting where you go to this island and there's 3 dudes randomly stood around shouting stuff but I never really understood like the guards and overseers in that area, shouldn't they have divided loyalties or something, why isn't there a massive fight going on, what's the beef, wouldn't it be better for all concerned if we just chilled out a bit.

As for number of kills one 'issue' I had with putting people unconcious was hiding the bodies was a chore, whereas if you killed them their corpses would turn to ash so less chance of discovery. So when being stealthy it actually made more sense to kill people (crossbow bolt to back of head or cut throat) than knock them out

Last edited:
Soldato
As for number of kills one 'issue' I had with putting people unconcious was hiding the bodies was a chore, whereas if you killed them their corpses would turn to ash so less chance of discovery. So when being stealthy it actually made more sense to kill people (crossbow bolt to back of head or cut throat) than knock them out

I never used that power tbh, in a way it felt like kind of a cheat(though bizarrely, it feels more natural when playing as Daud to me for some reason!). I focused more on 'regular' skills, like jumping higher and more health, and then upgrading blink....other than those, I didn't really use any of the powers. Though in one playthrough I used possession to good effect.

I think that my ideal game would have the following skills upgraded- Agility, Vitality, Blink, dark vision, and then one really outlandish one, probably windblast(fun when facing the Tallboys.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Your skills tree progressed fairly similar to mine then; I maxed health, agility and blink before putting into anything else :)

I maxed out devouring rats later on but kinda forgot to use it and the game ended before I got a chance to try it out.

Dark Vision I didn't bother with because most of the time I found you could identify guards anyway by sneaking around and using lean etc - maybe on higher difficulties it would come into its own I guess.

Overall what I tended to find was that even the missions I tried to go easy on the bloodshed I'd end up getting spotted and having to dispatch say half a dozen guards. The Weepers I always killed because I don't consider them to be real people anymore.

Soldato
The problem with trying to stealth the whole game, is that the combat is so satisfying once it starts!

I think what you say about higher difficulties is probably true...I didn't find a use for many of the skills, but only because I wasn't really having any difficulty.

Soldato
Well, I caved in and bought Knife of Dunwall and OMG.......!!!!. It's awesome so far. :)

I played through the main game just killing everyone and ended up with the crappy ending I think?. But this time through Knife of Dunwall I'm attempting complete stealth along with just knocking folk out or avoiding them where possible. I plan on playing through the main game once again using the same tactics.

Back
Top Bottom