Divinity: Original Sin 2

Soldato
I take it plenty of people will have Fane along in their party? I'm finding him a bit difficult to be honest. He's hard to heal, if you stand him in poison or cast any of the poison spells on him to heal, the 1st thing that happens is that it's set on fire with him in it. does anyone have any tips for playing him effectively?

Soldato
I take it plenty of people will have Fane along in their party? I'm finding him a bit difficult to be honest. He's hard to heal, if you stand him in poison or cast any of the poison spells on him to heal, the 1st thing that happens is that it's set on fire with him in it. does anyone have any tips for playing him effectively?

Carry poison flasks to heal, equip him with a shield to become more tanky, have somebody else be geomanser to throw poison based spells at him, summon poisoned incarnate infused with farsighn, will be able to throw acid at fane. Fane dies all the time for everybody he is a tough guy to look after ;)

I just use him as summoner and then hide him away from battle / line of sight but he still dies all the time.

Soldato
Carry poison flasks to heal, equip him with a shield to become more tanky, have somebody else be geomanser to throw poison based spells at him, summon poisoned incarnate infused with farsighn, will be able to throw acid at fane. Fane dies all the time for everybody he is a tough guy to look after ;)

I just use him as summoner and then hide him away from battle / line of sight but he still dies all the time.

Bah, thought that might be the case lol, it's a shame, his back story is really interesting.

I've got him as a geomancer/pyro guy, & carries a poison & flame wand, Might respec him as a summoner though. Hmmm

Soldato
Bah, thought that might be the case lol, it's a shame, his back story is really interesting.

I've got him as a geomancer/pyro guy, & carries a poison & flame wand, Might respec him as a summoner though. Hmmm

Could also go for melee necromancer build which sounds quite fun, as long as he keeps out dishing out damage he will keep getting healed through necromancy.

Soldato
I use Fane as a Rogue with some huntsman\Hydo\Poly\Warfare skills using poisoned daggers. Incredible mobility due to the Scoundrel\Huntsman\Poly tree.

His abiltiies are

Huntsman
First Aid (To heal others, Damage undead or anyone that is decaying)
Tactical Retreat (Mobility and self haste buff)
Throwing Knife (Ranged Backstab)
Sawtooth blade (Direct damage bypassing armor and bleeding if they have no armor)
Cloak and Dagger (Mobility and can stay in stealth while using)
Rupture Tendons (Great against Melee units If you then teleport them away or against someone with chicken claw)

Scoundrel
Adrenaline (learnt by eating a corpse at the start(For that extra punch or to save yourself by getting out of dodgy)
Backlash (Mobility and damage)

Poly
Chameleon cloak (To hide and move around)
Chicken Claw (To soft CC someone)
Spread Wings ((Learnt by eating a corpse)Mobility)

Hydo
Restoration (To heal others, Damage undead or anyone that is decaying)

Warfare
Phoenix Dive (Mobility and some minor damage)
Battering ram (Mobility and Hard CC)
Battle Stomp (Hard CC)

If you teleport behind someone, Chicken claw them and then rupture tendons they run around like crazy damaging themselves then you play dead. For keeping him healed I have Irfan as a huntsman with a stock of poison arrows, Beast as a Cleric with some Geomancer skills for poison abilities and Red price as a front line tank doing very similar. I manage to keep him topped up but there have been a few hairy moments. Come back kid is absolutely essential in keeping him and Irfan alive but do not forget you can combine a poison barrel with ANY kind of food\healing potion to make it poisoned giving you a near unlimited stock of potions and food.

Associate
really want to like this game but struggling to win any fights! always my own team mates in the way of spells or monsters doing more damage than we do to start with..... I am currently in the main fort should I just be chatting to everyone ? not sure what I should be doing or who to add to my group ha.

Soldato
really want to like this game but struggling to win any fights! always my own team mates in the way of spells or monsters doing more damage than we do to start with..... I am currently in the main fort should I just be chatting to everyone ? not sure what I should be doing or who to add to my group ha.

Yeah, first couple of fights are the hardest as you will not have any spells or armor, both of which play huge role in this iteration. Make sure to do talking based quests and avoid the fights, gear up, talk and trade. If you want to win fights before that, you'd need to be quite creative with barrels, positioning, potions, grenades etc.

So chat and group up, you have the option to invite to your party your fellow boat prisoners, they will tell you their default class but give you the option to let them be anything you want, warrior, mage, rogue, it's up to you.

Soldato
Just completed this, wow what a game and what an experience, loved every minute of it and I feel I did every quest available (im sure i missed some though!). Easily my game of the year and feel a bit sad now its all over and finished. You've done well Larian! :D

Looking forward to my next play through

Soldato
Yeah, first couple of fights are the hardest as you will not have any spells or armor, both of which play huge role in this iteration. Make sure to do talking based quests and avoid the fights, gear up, talk and trade. If you want to win fights before that, you'd need to be quite creative with barrels, positioning, potions, grenades etc.

So chat and group up, you have the option to invite to your party your fellow boat prisoners, they will tell you their default class but give you the option to let them be anything you want, warrior, mage, rogue, it's up to you.

Or just pick a conjurer.

Soldato
Started playing this a couple of days ago. It's great so far. Really deep and complex. Have to say I haven't really known what I'm doing. Just been exploring everywhere, collecting everything, talking to everyone, killing all the enemies. Every so often I get experience for something. :)

Level 5 now. Really enjoying it, but I think I've badly messed up my party build.

I have a two-hander knight, a dual dagger rogue, a pure summoner and a cleric type support. I'm finding the cleric just doesn't have anything to do half the time, and is twiddling his thumbs, and the summoner just keeps popping down her totems and not much else once the incarnate is out. So I only have two characters and the summon really doing much. This game feels a lot less forgiving of sub-optimal builds than the first. I've got through some of the tougher fights by hilarious cheese tactics, mostly involving sneaking and teleport. But
Kniles the Flenster and his gank squad
absolutely kick my ass, wrap it up in a nice little bow and hand it back to me...

Already looking forward to when I can respec.

Thinking along these lines based on my experiences so far:

• (Beast) Two-hander with warfare & 2-h skill mainly with minimal side points in polymorph, necro and scoundrel. Bascially so I can abuse the rupture tendon --> chicken mechanic (which never gets old!)
  • (Sebille) Dual dagger scoundrel with points in warfare, two in poly (chicken and wings!) and a couple in huntsman for mobility.
  • (Lohse, MC) One-handed + shield wielding high armoured summoner with sides in pyro (one point for haste), hydro (couple of points for heals), aero (two for teleport), scoundrel (two) and poly (one - more ruptured chickens!)
  • (Red Prince) Bow or crossbow ranger/support with a points in huntsman and a few in each of geo and hydro, one in pyro, two in aero.

Does that sound a viable party? Thinking there's lots of physical damage there with everyone chipping in, some healing and buffs and CC options too.

Back to it!! :)

Soldato
Is no one still playing this? Surprised to see only 16 pages for such an epic and beautifully crafted RPG.

I've been developing my party in line with the above and things are going much smoother now. Not had any real problems since (though I still yearn to sort out a load of poorly-allocated skill points).

Just finished the first main act. Think I've done everything in this location, and tantalisingly close to level nine. I accidentally and amusingly completely cheesed the last fight the whole act had been building up to...

I spotted a load of tough-looking magisters inside the building, so decided to scout around, and then thought I'd get the drop on them by jumping my ranged guy to high ground before going in with my others to aggro everyone. Only the ranger accidentally aggroed a mage who was already up there and who I'd not noticed. I summoned my incarnate up there too and those two roflstomped the poor guy whilst the bishop ran outside on his own to find the rest of my guys just waiting there, so it was very simple to strip his armour and CC him to death too. Then the worm appears and starts attacking the magisters inside, but I'm outside with no one paying me any attention. So I just wait, and wait.... and wait. Eventually the magisters kill the worm, but they're pretty heavily trashed, so I could walk in and basically just blow on them to make them fall over.

It felt like a great gaming moment, because it was so unpredicable and so accidental. I love the flexibility of approach you get and the way you can twist the tactical combat to your advantage in unexpected ways. Really looking forward to the next act.

Soldato
well thats good because im enjoying the first :D

Yeah, I'd agree with Pighardia. I loved the first, but the second expands the scope quite a bit and polishes up lots of little aspects.

The mechanics are a bit different, though, which is what threw me with my first build. Basically, physical and magical armour are now treated completely separately for their respective damage types. This introduces some new tactical thinking, but I think it can also limit the range of effective builds a bit more. The classic RPG party of tank, ranged/melee dps, mage and healer/support doesn't really work very well here, whilst it was quite viable in the first one. There are also a few total junk skills and they've nerfed (overnerfed imho) some of my favourite skills from the first one (okay... maybe some of them did need nerfing... cough, sneak, cough... :) ).

That said, though, it's completely superb. I'm totally absorbed.

Just managed to respec my party and feeling good to have dumped some dead investments now and rounded everything out.

Back
Top Bottom