Divinity: Original Sin 2

Soldato
Just about to start playing this any suggestion for starting class/race etc?

It doesn't really matter for your main character since you'll end up with a full party anyway, and you can select your companions' classes. I chose my main for RP reasons since I wanted to main a summoner.

One suggestion wold be to take persuasion and pet pal on your main.

But basically you can base your character decision on whose origin story you like most. I think you can technically create a slightly more optimal build with a custom character, but I like the origin stories here and there are some nice quest lines associated with them.

Soldato
I'm at Level3 on the island and really struggling with this on classic - not finding it fun at all. I had no issues playing games like Baldur's Gate 2 and Neverwinter Nights oddly enough. I was hoping to do Mage DPS + Mage CC/Support, Ranger and Rogue but I'm just getting wiped - even trying to use funnel points isn't working and some enemies have a huge movement range. Seems difficult to aggro a couple of enemies at a time.

Friendly fire also makes it tricky with limited AP so it seems the ideal situation is all physical or all magic group build? Also enemies just run through my status effects like it's nothing knocking out the strategic idea of making them move where I want.

I really didn't want to do what I see as a "cheese" run but I think I'm going to start again with a summoner. I was hoping it'd be possible to be smarter and not need a tank. Maybe I'm just crap but I think I'll go for Summoner/Warrior/Ranger/Healer-CC combo. :/

Thinking Lohse summoner, Red Prince Warrior, Ifan Ranger and Fane Support. Any reason why this'd be a bad idea? I also like the idea of Fane as a warrior given he can get healed by poison.

On another point, I like the idea that there is almost P&P level freedom but this game does a really bad job of explaining the mechanics early on. A tutorial would have been nice because I find myself constantly looking things up on the web or looking through the control options.

Last edited:
Associate
The first few levels before you get any gear are quite tough. I had to be very creative to win some of my early battles but the pay-off when you battle through is immense. Persevere & this game will reward you!

Associate
You're not alone... I feel similar. Kept getting my bum kicked early on and moved on to other things. I really do need to persevere though, I hope Docsonic is correct. Should return to it once I've stopped exploring VR with the Rift.

Associate
There's a couple of "strats" that cause Classic mode to actually feel like easy mode in the early game. Lone Wolf + 2 chars with summoning or the
overpowered crossbow obtained by following Ifan-Ben Mezd's quest line
are just 2 examples. If you choose both magic + physical damage you are gimping yourself for the entire game with the current armour system. People only combine them both if they want to give themselves an extra challenge, currently. Physical is stronger than magic in most cases, too, because enemies can have elemental resistances but none have physical resistance.
Some enemies have a high dodge chance, though.

It's looking increasingly likely that Larian won't give this game a much-needed balance pass until some sort of "Enhanced Edition" is released.

So, to beat act 1: create 2 summoner / warfare hybrid characters, get the talent Lone Wolf on them ASAP, level up summoning to 10 and warfare to 20. Summons aren't based on Intelligence, so put attribute points into Finesse and get them both decent crossbows,
including the one acquired in Act 1 by following Ifan-Ben Mezd's quest line
, at which point you'll be able to wreck face. You'll probably have to
escape Fort Joy
through one of the back doors, though. Oh, and it's still best to kite the enemies when you're using crossbows and haven't invested in any Constitution. Putting points in anything but the primary damage attribute essentially gimps your damage potential by 5% (10% for Lone Wolves) each time, unless you've reached the cap. However, it may be wise to invest in Wits for ONE of your characters, so you can stay just ahead of the enemies' initiative.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm at Level3 on the island and really struggling with this on classic - not finding it fun at all. I had no issues playing games like Baldur's Gate 2 and Neverwinter Nights oddly enough. I was hoping to do Mage DPS + Mage CC/Support, Ranger and Rogue but I'm just getting wiped - even trying to use funnel points isn't working and some enemies have a huge movement range. Seems difficult to aggro a couple of enemies at a time.

Friendly fire also makes it tricky with limited AP so it seems the ideal situation is all physical or all magic group build? Also enemies just run through my status effects like it's nothing knocking out the strategic idea of making them move where I want.

I really didn't want to do what I see as a "cheese" run but I think I'm going to start again with a summoner. I was hoping it'd be possible to be smarter and not need a tank. Maybe I'm just crap but I think I'll go for Summoner/Warrior/Ranger/Healer-CC combo. :/

Thinking Lohse summoner, Red Prince Warrior, Ifan Ranger and Fane Support. Any reason why this'd be a bad idea? I also like the idea of Fane as a warrior given he can get healed by poison.

On another point, I like the idea that there is almost P&P level freedom but this game does a really bad job of explaining the mechanics early on. A tutorial would have been nice because I find myself constantly looking things up on the web or looking through the control options.

Yes, this game has some annoying difficulty spikes at times. One level makes an awful lot of difference, and you also need to constantly make sure you're geared up appropriately for your level - even a legendary weapon is going to be outclassed by a normal weapon one level higher. It's something I wish they'd give more nuance to, really.

Also, it can be quite unforgiving of less-than-optimal party composition. There are again a few niggles here. One, as has been said, is that you don't really want to try to mix physical and magical damage. Armour is key in this game, and you can't use the all-important CC abilities until you've stripped either physical OR magical armour. I recommend focusing on physical since there are a good range of CC skills you can draw on, and you don't have to worry about resistances.

With this in mind, a pure "support" character isn't really ideal. You don't need a heavy skill investment to get your bread-and-butter heals and buffs, so I'd recommend spreading the support skills around a couple of characters without too much investment in them, and making their primary purpose damage-dealing and CC.

Mobility skills are also really useful (I'd say they're necessary, actually), so think about splashing a point or two to get things like teleport, phoenix dive, cloak and dagger, tactical retreat, nether swap, etc. You don't need all of these on all characters, but making sure everyone has at least one good mobility skill makes a lot of difference. One or two characters having teleport is incredibly useful (you can find gloves with skill early on to save you making the skill investment at the beginning).

Summoners are very useful, but you basically need to go all-in on the summoning skill, and level nothing else on that character until it's at 10 base. The incarnate becomes a real juggernaut at this point.

I had to revise my party ideas because I built a sub-optimal party at first by making Red Prince a pure support guy, which meant he didn't have anything to do most of the time. When I respecced him to be primarily a ranger with some healing and buffs as secondary, I found it much easier.

Two-handed warrior types will probably be your main damage output, and they have decent mobility (phoenix dive) and CC (battering ram, battle stomp). I also ran with a backstabbing rogue, summoner with one-hander and shield (bouncing shield is a good skill when not summoning), and a ranger with support skills/buffs/heals. When you can afford the point investment, chicken claw and ruptured tendons is a godly combination, but basically you want to focus on stripping physical armour and using your CC abilities to lock down the battlefield.

Soldato
i restarted this about 5 times before i was happy with my party the game really opens up in the second act but the last is a right slog.
I went lone wolf with a 2 hand character and a ranged bow character most fights end quickly.

Soldato
Yeah I restarted and I'm much happier now.

Summoner, Knight, Ranger/healer and Wizard is working much better for me now. Could do with some initiative shuffling but I'm actually having fun now :)

It's very easy to make a sub-optimal party if you're not careful. I've got the balance the way I want it but a bit sad that a Rogue didn't really fit in with what I was going for.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I'm done, finished at level 21, with 230 hours on Steam and about 130 hours for my play through. The difference between the 2 is where I'd tried something and it had gone wrong or I didn't like the outcome of certain choices I'd made so there was a lot of re-loading previous saves and re-doing parts. I started playing it on release day and have not played anything else, so due to the amount of time it takes for a play through I won't be re-playing it so wanted to get the outcome I was happy with.

I'd played the 1st one so knew how difficult Original Sin games are, but that been said it's still nails. I did find it overly complicated and pretty impenetrable at some point, and by about 2/3 of the way through I started to find it more of a slog, which took away from the story a bit, they've unashamedly made it so in depth and complicated in a way that we won't see again until they do a 3rd game. The combat is fun if you get the right classes, Summoner at lvl 10+ is amazing for example. One thing I never got the hang of though was balancing magic & physical armour, so often found my characters charmed, terrified or asleep when I needed them.

That been said it's a unique game, with (slog aside) an amazing main story and excellent storylines for your companions. I thought Fane's story was a bit 'meh' until near the end when it suddenly becomes clear. I would recommend this (with caveats) to anyone whose looking for an RPG to commit a considerable amount of time getting the hang of, let alone finishing.

Associate
Soldato
Should I play the first one or just skip right to the second?

Am I right in assuming the game plays a lot like the first Dragons Age?

(Baldurs Gate etc)

Cheapest place to buy it?

Last edited:
Soldato
I really need to finish this. I lost the will to carry on at Arx for some reason.

My Red Prince is an absolutely insane Geo/Pyro mage and can pretty much wipe out a decent size group on his own by jumping in with Phoenix Dive + Pyroclastic Eruption.

Soldato
I really need to finish this. I lost the will to carry on at Arx for some reason.

My Red Prince is an absolutely insane Geo/Pyro mage and can pretty much wipe out a decent size group on his own by jumping in with Phoenix Dive + Pyroclastic Eruption.

When the Enhanced Edition drops Arx will be almost completely rewritten by the looks of it. I think a lot of people felt it dropped off a bit at Arx.

Back
Top Bottom