Do Paedos Really Get Beat Up In Jail?

Soldato
Exposed paedos get beaten in civi street so why would they not get beaten up in prison, nothing special about it except less places to run to and more hard men with self control problems and an approving peer group.

Soldato
The sooner we move away from instead of automatically hating criminals & instead moving towards hating the actions they do, we can start to look at undesirable behaviour the same way we do any other public health issue.

The person and their actions are inextricably linked. I don't murder and rape because it is not part of my person to do so. If that is within another person, why shouldn't we ostracise them? Clearly they have undesirable traits.

People are very keen these days to categorise all deviant and criminal behaviour as a mental health issue. It's bizarre.

Soldato
The person and their actions are inextricably linked. I don't murder and rape because it is not part of my person to do so. If that is within another person, why shouldn't we ostracise them? Clearly they have undesirable traits.
Hating the person isn't useful is the point, it goes from a useful assessment of how to handle undesirable behaviour & crosses into justification for revenge/other forms of punishment that exasperate criminality & prevent rehabilitation.

People are very keen these days to categorise all deviant and criminal behaviour as a mental health issue. It's bizarre.
I find the desire to simplify complex systems into easy to understand & ultimately incorrect views equally bizarre.

Soldato
I'm listening. I assume you don't have children also?

If you did you would know each child from the day they are born have their own unique personalities and traits.

Also you should know that people are heavily effected by environmental factor.s So what am I missing here?

I do have children. I have 5 and I fail to see how it changes the argument.

You've said nature vs nurture. That's a simplistic way of looking at it and not correct. Nature and nurture both effect each other to create an end result.

A child born with a genetic potential of athletic build can be starved. They will then become underweight, their genes then recognise that and shape metabolic pathways that cause other genes to build different proteins that tell the body to store any excess food where possible, when food intake increases when they are older, those pathways that wouldn't be present without that environmental starvation are still active so the tendency to store food as fat is there. Our now genetic athletic kid has grown into an obese adult who dies early of cardiovascular disease. All of that is mutable along the way. There was not 'nature vs nurture' here is wasn't adversarial it was complimentary one feeding back into the other.

We have to remember selection and consequences are measured at the phenotype. The phenotype is a symbiosis of both (in the main with the odd exception). Saying 'nature vs nurture' is like saying 'survival of the fittest'. It's not correct. It's a hangover to stupid arguments last century where both side wanted exclusive rights on the destiny of men.

Soldato

Mental relates to the mind.
Health is an absence of disease or injury.
Diseases are disorders in structure/function that cause specific symptoms.

Therefore something that causes specific symptoms, that are not found in large proportion of the population, is a disease and when that disease is associated with the mind then I think it's fair to label it as a mental health issue by pure definition.

Associate
I remember watching a program a long time ago about brothels and prostitues general sex trade etc in London and a famous, well used brothel had there "best" prostitute who was 13 or 14 at the time with men coming from all over to see her.

It also explained about how that was seen as normal at the time and this was early 1900's so not even 2 or 3 generations old. Its just that todays society has seen it as wrong for that early teen age.

im guessing tho that infants and even babies was seen as wrong in those times? hopefully anyway

Man of Honour

Bro, do you even phrenology?

What proportion of murders and rapists would you guess have mental health issues? Isn't there a value in understanding and addressing that as both prevention and rehabilitation?

Soldato
Might be opening a whole nasty tin of worms here but here goes.

Isn't paedophilia considered a mental problem and/or addiction? The fact that they often reoffend even after being released from prison would certainly suggest it, in which case shouldnt offenders be treated rather than just punished?

I am in no way condoning his actions and feel imprisonment is justified but it opens up yet another debate of people with drug addictions who are jailed and stigmatised for something, which in their mind, is out of their control.

As far as I know, there are no "rehabs" for such a crime which continues down this countries line of punishment over trying to actually fix the problem, which they never will with the current approach because of the sheer tabboo over the subject.

Because lets face it, if you felt these dark feelings, would you go public with them to try and get help after looking at the above comments? Hell no, you'd probably get lynched by the doctor first!

There is no treatment, that is like suggesting you could "cure" homosexuality.

I don't believe in the death penalty, but I think they should all be locked up for life. They are such abhorrent crimes which tend to have incredibly damaging life long impacts on the victims.

Caporegime

Perhaps we should think about helping them rather than giving them nowhere to turn before they commit a crime?

If someone admitted to being attracted to kids, but not acted on it (ie never committed a crime) the police would probably be notified, family and friends find out, they would probably be fired from their job, even if they were never charged. Why instead can't they go and get help without that over their heads?

As for why we are now categorising more and more deviant and criminal behaviour as mental health issues, it's because we are understanding the brain more, we are starting to see more and more how genetics, health and nurture affect people's behaviour. The more we research the more we realise that some (but probably not all) can, or could have been, helped before they committed crimes.
It goes back to Elmarkos retribution vs rehabilitation post further up.

Edit: interestingly the article/study pointed out the psychopath "gene" is probably quite an important one. They were probably the people more likely to be going to battle...

I'll see if I can find the articles tonight as The data is at the back of my mind right now, I could be wrong about bits and I don't remember the numbers.

Last edited:
Associate
Most go to a separate wing but they are not even safe there as there are lots of reasons people are there (in debt with prisoners, convicted rape etc). The ones who did go in with the general population got beaten up and moved quickly.

Soldato
Mental relates to the mind.
Health is an absence of disease or injury.
Diseases are disorders in structure/function that cause specific symptoms.

Therefore something that causes specific symptoms, that are not found in large proportion of the population, is a disease and when that disease is associated with the mind then I think it's fair to label it as a mental health issue by pure definition.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also recall one element of a mental health disorder is when the condition impends on ones ability to function within society (in one form or another).

Acting in ways which causes direct harm to others & results in imprisonment are perfect examples of this.

Bro, do you even phrenology?

What proportion of murders and rapists would you guess have mental health issues? Isn't there a value in understanding and addressing that as both prevention and rehabilitation?
Indeed, the data surrounding the history of most abusers & murders is one of victim-hood if you go far back enough. It's sad but people confuse wanting to understand the underline causes (and therefore wanting to prevent) as being akin to wanting to let rapists & murderers run riot.

Soldato
I do have children. I have 5 and I fail to see how it changes the argument.

You've said nature vs nurture. That's a simplistic way of looking at it and not correct. Nature and nurture both effect each other to create an end result.

A child born with a genetic potential of athletic build can be starved. They will then become underweight, their genes then recognise that and shape metabolic pathways that cause other genes to build different proteins that tell the body to store any excess food where possible, when food intake increases when they are older, those pathways that wouldn't be present without that environmental starvation are still active so the tendency to store food as fat is there. Our now genetic athletic kid has grown into an obese adult who dies early of cardiovascular disease. All of that is mutable along the way. There was not 'nature vs nurture' here is wasn't adversarial it was complimentary one feeding back into the other.

We have to remember selection and consequences are measured at the phenotype. The phenotype is a symbiosis of both (in the main with the odd exception). Saying 'nature vs nurture' is like saying 'survival of the fittest'. It's not correct. It's a hangover to stupid arguments last century where both side wanted exclusive rights on the destiny of men.

Interesting. Your saying that both nature and nurture both mutually existst to effect the outcome. If so how can you come to such a conclusion, some would regard that theory as quite divine.

Soldato
Interesting. Your saying that both nature and nurture both mutually existst to effect the outcome. If so how can you come to such a conclusion, some would regard that theory as quite divine.

Then those some would be tremendously stupid when simple evolution will do.

Associate
Do Paedos Really Get Beat Up In Jail?

Well they certainly should do!

does he even mix with regular prisoners? he's probably in a special paedo wing for mps where they all tell stories about children whilst watching reruns of blue peter

I've often thought about how sex offenders/killers like Huntley, West, Brady etc interact with each other in prison. And I wonder if it is a bit like some old soldier ending up at the Chelsea Pensioners and talking "WhenEye" at every opportunity, with every guy in the discussion trying to outdo each other? "You should have heard her scream when I put xxxxx in her mouth and she cried for her mummy"...... "That's nothing, when I got hold of those two, I made one of them watch whilst I sodomised the other, you should have seen the look on her face, ha, ha, ha."...... "When I was in Gloucester, I used to make them scream by removing their kneecaps, it was so funny, the Missus used to......................."

I don't believe in the death penalty, but I think they should all be locked up for life. They are such abhorrent crimes which tend to have incredibly damaging life long impacts on the victims.

I do believe in the death penalty and if I had my way we would have retrospective hanging. Pass a law bringing back the death penalty then look at all those in prison who committed such crimes which in the future would be punished by the death penalty and hang them by the end of the week.

I do understand that in some instances these people can't be cured. I wouldn't bother trying to cure them, just hang them by the end of the week.

The only way I'd accept life in prison was if it was on Devil's Island in solitary confinement, but even then I'd be considering dragging them out during their sentence and hanging them.

Can anyone imagine what it must be like every day of the week being a parent of those children who were murdered? And what about the shame that shadows people throughout the whole of their lives who were abused by adults when they were children?

I very much doubt if parents or the abused would loose much sleep thinking that the perpetrators had been hanged (just make sure that it happened soon after the trial) but I bet they loose plenty of sleep thinking about them being in prison, where they might be released, watching Sky Sports, talking over old times with their mates........

Soldato
There is a logical way of looking at it.

We lock people up because we deem them to be a danger to society or if the time in prison would aid rehabilitation. We ensure the prison isn't barbaric & we tailor it to rehabilitate those who we are able to, or leave those we are not for the good of everybody else.

The sooner we move away from instead of automatically hating criminals & instead moving towards hating the actions they do, we can start to look at undesirable behaviour the same way we do any other public health issue.

What should matter is prevention & protecting the public - everything else is pretty meaningless & downright irresponsible if it endangers more people in the long term.

I can't take credit for not being a psychopath, neither can I take credit for being attracted to adult women as opposed to children - I didn't pick either of these things. I highly doubt anybody picks who they are attracted to, that sadly includes paedophiles.

One could argue we should stop our hysteria regarding the hatred of them - as we are essentially preventing people from seeking help (who may want to control the urges but fear repercussions/violence from declaring it).

I have no idea what the populations are regarding this, but there will be a number - I recall reading about a number requesting chemical castration (as they know the thoughts they have are wrong, but also know they can't control their urges).

Can one actually successfully change this behavioural thought process in a paedophile?

They get released at the end of their sentence whether rehabilitated or not, in most cases, unless an indeterminate sentence has been applied, and that doesn't happen as often as it might.

Back
Top Bottom