Do you take any supplements?

The only "supplement" I take is the soluble Vitamin C + Zinc tablets you get (like 1000% RDA of VitC). I only take them when I feel a cold coming on for about 3-4 days (slightly sore throat about 2 days before cold starts) and it seems to either shorten the cold down by a few days or even stops it completely - YMMV of course.

I dont take any regular supplements though

If you look at the places where people have the longest life expectancy they are not on supplements. It is all evolution from hundreds of years and certain diets.

I do wish there would be more focus on educating people on how bad processed food is for them however.
Bearing in mind "blue zones" are bollards it seems.

"This year, Dr Saul Justin Newman at the Centre for Longitudinal Studies, UCL, won the first-ever Ig Nobel award for Demography for his work on data about the world’s oldest people. According to his findings, patterns concerning extremely old age and supercentenarians (people of 110 years of age or older) are likely the result of poor record-keeping, clerical errors, and pension fraud."

Ultra Process food is absolutely awful. There's no need to eat it if you can avoid it, but avoiding it in this day and age is nigh on impossible. We just can't produce enough food. Arguably things like supplements are processed especially protein powders, but they're effectively a bi-product so instead of it going to waste why not enjoy it? And they're not as bad.

Unfortunately you can't compare long life expectancy with supplements really as it's not really a measurable or studied thing. What is evident though is diet and activity but also the quality of healthcare. Physical activity and environmental factors can't be ignored either.

Those countries do supplement but they also have higher quality standards for things like supplements. In fact the top 10 life expectancy countries have multi £bn supplements industry. Sure that doesn't mean it's correlated but to ignore the industry completely would be naïve.

Maybe I just go from what I see with people. Generally as I approach 40 I see friends with issues just like their parents had even though they eat healthy and are reasonably fit etc.

I have a family friend who has been a serial alcoholic for most of his life (thankfully now not so), still smokes but is 70+ and strong as an Ox. I am actually overwhelmingly surprised he is still alive. Both of his parents are still alive and nearly 100 and are not in a home. I always joke to my mother that he will outlive her. I call him the Terminator.

My main qualm is that the human body has evolved over thousands of years and is very good at regulating itself perfectly well as proven by my grandparents and their extended family living off basic food. Problem for me is there is very little actual viable research as to whether supplements help or whether they actually hinder you and that information will not be available until either me or you are basically dead anyway. When you get to 90+ your body is buggered regardless. Making that last longer doesn't really interest me.

It also wouldn't surprise me if average life expectancy goes backwards in real terms in the future. I think a lot of unnecessary deaths say 60-70 years ago was due to medical care whereas now medical care is better than ever but diet is absolutely atrocious. You only have to look at America vs somewhere like Japan.

I read some research recently that seems to show that life expectancy is slowing down. Many theories about it most of them are way beyond my knowledge but it's fascinating nonetheless.

Bearing in mind "blue zones" are bollards it seems.

"This year, Dr Saul Justin Newman at the Centre for Longitudinal Studies, UCL, won the first-ever Ig Nobel award for Demography for his work on data about the world’s oldest people. According to his findings, patterns concerning extremely old age and supercentenarians (people of 110 years of age or older) are likely the result of poor record-keeping, clerical errors, and pension fraud."
That's a really interesting, and makes a lot of sense. Thank you for sharing.

Regardless of the blue zones you can link UPF with lower life expectancy pretty easily, even just with the causation of cardiovascular disease and diabetes. The Marshall Islands would be a great example of the opposite of what we think of as a blue zone.

Last edited:
I read some research recently that seems to show that life expectancy is slowing down. Many theories about it most of them are way beyond my knowledge but it's fascinating nonetheless.

It truly is as medical care is keeping people alive longer than they might have been 50-60 years ago but processed food and sugar is killing off people prematurely too so it is hard to gauge what a true life expectancy should be. American life expectancy is rubbish compared to most of the west but if you have the money you have access to the most advanced medical care in the world. It makes it very difficult to judge what is good and what isn't!

It truly is as medical care is keeping people alive longer than they might have been 50-60 years ago but processed food and sugar is killing off people prematurely too so it is hard to gauge what a true life expectancy should be. American life expectancy is rubbish compared to most of the west but if you have the money you have access to the most advanced medical care in the world. It makes it very difficult to judge what is good and what isn't!

Yes that was one of the elements of the research. It does add a lot of extra nuance to this whole thing.

Multi vits & minerals
Calcium
Folic Acid not I'm not a woman nor am I preggers, apparently I don't eat enough greens.

It truly is as medical care is keeping people alive longer than they might have been 50-60 years ago
yea people living until 80-110 is kinda survivor bias, not everyone from those generations lived so long.

people eat way more crap now though... stuff you wouldn't dream of putting in your bodies on it's own is in food... all stuff your body likely treats as toxins.

No doubt after a heavily processed supermarket meal your kidneys are working overtime, they probably do the same from supplements though.

Last edited:
I like how studies keep coming out telling us about wonderful supplements we can take for performance or longevity like creatine, taurine, omega3 etc... then when you look it up all these things are in beef, but we're told beef is bad for you.

No I don't take any supplements, not even vitamin D, my blood tests show I don't need any.

I do eat beef though, preferably grass fed.

I like how studies keep coming out telling us about wonderful supplements we can take for performance or longevity like creatine, taurine, omega3 etc... then when you look it up all these things are in beef, but we're told beef is bad for you.

No I don't take any supplements, not even vitamin D, my blood tests show I don't need any.

I do eat beef though, preferably grass fed.

What study says creatine supplements are good for long life? Please show me. I'd love to know how taking a supplement that causes the body to hold a excess water can be good for long life, and is also known to put strain on the kidneys

As for red meat, idc, I still eat it. Red meat is a high fat meat, meats high in fat can lead to higher cholesterol and put strain on the heart, there is also some link between high red meat consumption and stomach cancer, but idc about that either as the last 3 generations of my family on both sides have no history of cancer or heart problems - strong genes FTW

Last edited:
An A to Z multi-vitamin - just in case (can't hurt) but don't feel any different whether I take it or not TBH.

Cod Liver Oil 1000mg - for joint care after 15 years of Rugby plus getting old and fat means my knees need all the extra help they can get and (psychosomatic or not) my knees feel more sore after hikes etc if I don't take these two (inc below)

Combined Glucosamine, MSM & Turmeric - as above

Vitamin B12 - a blood test back in 2020 showed I had almost zero so I've had to take these ever since

Last edited:
Doctor put me on 3 months of vitamin D3, 2x 800 IU, after blood test (FBC) showed mine was lower than normal. I'm going to take them through the winter months going forward.

Vitamin B12 - a blood test back in 2020 showed I had almost zero so I've had to take these ever since
My dad had pernicious anemia, he had to have B12 injections every 3 months for his entire life >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pernicious_anemia

Last edited:
What study says creatine supplements are good for long life? Please show me. I'd love to know how taking a supplement that causes the body to hold a excess water can be good for long life, and is also known to put strain on the kidneys

As for red meat, idc, I still eat it. Red meat is a high fat meat, meats high in fat can lead to higher cholesterol and put strain on the heart, there is also some link between high red meat consumption and stomach cancer, but idc about that either as the last 3 generations of my family on both sides have no history of cancer or heart problems - strong genes FTW
Your taking about this bit, but crucially miss out an important bit.

"Although an older case study suggested that creatine might worsen kidney dysfunction in people with kidney disorders, creatine doesn't appear to affect kidney function in healthy people."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom