Doctor Who

Soldato
Good episode - Capaldi is getting better scripts, just a shame it is too late.

I don't mind the new companion, asking questions that could easily be skimmed over ie black woman in 1800 London.

Boo to the haters as this is what Doctor Who is about - aliens, suspense, twists and turns and a man who races around time and space helping - it is also a children's program which people seem to forget.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
Good episode - Capaldi is getting better scripts, just a shame it is too late.

I don't mind the new companion, asking questions that could easily be skimmed over ie black woman in 1800 London.

Boo to the haters as this is what Doctor Who is about - aliens, suspense, twists and turns and a man who races around time and space helping - it is also a children's program which people seem to forget.

Better episode as it showed a bit more conviction in its story telling this week.

It was nice to see the Doctor sticking up for himself, when the companion usually get stuck into him he doesn't put up much defence. Over all I liked the episode, a good setting and a bad guy you instantly dislike. Its a pity it went back to the monsters that not the real monster cliché the show seems to have development over the last few years (I mean they done it last week).

Also I would say its a family program not a children's program. Which to me means you can have a mixture of episodes from Dark and gritty to light hearted.

That said Matt Lucas is not getting any better.

Soldato
in this (post?) politically correct environment should the BBC be exposing a less intelligent black female character (role model) to family viewing ?
the Doctor was patronizing no ? effectively laughing at her (eg. you decide what mankind wants),
and even though her sensitive remarks did expose an empathetic human,
at the first level, I am not sure it was a good take-away for younger viewers.

As per the recent Oscars/Hollywood (did Bafta join in?) ackowledgment/casting of coloured roles needs 'attention' and there seems to be too many frivolous
coloured roles (thinking Denise/sister in Eastenders, coloured actor in bbc3 Bubblegum, even Sophie Okenado Undercover)

Soldato
Alice Hewkin
2yw96x1.gif

Ummmm...... averagely 'meh' episode tho !!
At least next week's looks a bit exciting even though I'm sensing rehashed ideas.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Companion is occasionally good but mostly annoying. The writing is what has been letting doctor who down for years now. Good concepts ruined by half arsing the story lines or simply making a mess of a good idea.

Robots one could have been good but it has to be cool and relevant so they speak "emoji". Ending was entirely stupid and deciding that the robots killed people to solve sadness was straight up retarded.

Frozen Thames, perhaps spend a little time on the actual plot instead of vaguely addressing racial issues.

Last episode could have been better but trying too hard to be cool and down with the kids so most of the episode is wasted on annoying Uni students and again avoids any depth of explanation on the "enemy".

I really like Capaldi as the doctor. I've liked all the doctors to be fair. Almost all the criticism for them can be put down to poor writing and plots that always fall short of their potential. Stuff about time lords and gallifrey, lets just give them a taste but pretty much ignore it. So frustrating.

Soldato
well viewing figures lie (sic - maybe fake)
Episode 1 of the new series received a consolidated average rating of 6.7 million – an increase of over 2 million viewers on its initial overnight rating, in its first seven days.
The episode saw Capaldi’s Doctor and his sidekick Bill, played by Pearl Mackie, travel to 1814 London where they tackled racism and child slavery.

compared to older episodes
http://www.themindrobber.co.uk/ratings.html

.. despite resurgence of viewing programs direct, for folks/children who want to discuss on social media ?
(although antisocial media seems up and coming amongst hipsters)
for me it is no longer a must view where you know you will get a decent hours entertainment -
the old addage "Why Don't You Just Switch Off Your Television Set And Go Out And Do Something Less Boring Instead" unfortunately comes to mind.

Soldato
interesting analysis

The Doctor’s Selection Process

The Doctor does, on the majority of occasions, select companions who have the right stuff. All of his companions tend to be independent and expressive with a strong work ethic. However, the Doctor’s selection process is quite messy. What other factors does he take into account?

The Doctor often selects companions who have either medical or academic qualifications. For example, both Martha Jones (who is a medical student when she first meets the Doctor) and Harry Sullivan (a lieutenant surgeon in the Royal Navy) are medically trained. In fact, one of the Doctor’s companions, Dr. Grace Holloway, is an accomplished cardiologist who actually triggers the Doctor’s regeneration after subjecting him to an ill-judged heart operation.9

Perhaps the Doctor is selecting companions on the basis of their intelligence quotient (IQ). IQ is determined by a set of tests that are designed to measure human intelligence. High IQ levels are thought to be associated with occupations such as medicine and academic jobs. It is likely that if River Song (a.k.a. Melody Pond) with her doctorate in archaeology, Zoe Heriot the astrophysicist, and Dr. Elizabeth Shaw the UNIT science officer recruited from Cambridge University took an IQ test, they would score highly. However, psychologists are starting to think that IQ alone is not the best predictor of success in occupations such as medicine. Recent research suggests that traits of self-discipline and motivation are also important.10 In fact, not all of the Doctor’s companions would have scored well on traditional IQ tests. Jo Grant, for example, who is hired by UNIT to be the Doctor’s lab assistant, says she actually failed her science exams.11 Many of the Doctor’s companions have not had high-powered jobs, with Ace working as a waitress, Rose Tyler working in a department store, and Donna Noble working as a temp. Indeed, when Romana boasts to the Doctor that she graduated from the Time Lord Academy on Gallifrey with top honors, the Doctor is not impressed.12 He points out that she lacks experience. Therefore, it is clear that the Doctor, like occupational psychologists, knows that academic smarts do not automatically mean that someone is the right fit for a job role.

but I think they missed "select a companion who could equally compete in Britains got talent or the X factor"

Back
Top Bottom