Doctor Who

Soldato
Then why even bother commenting?

Seriously an Alien DR with 2 hearts that can regenerate upon death and you draw issue with the gender, despite DR being an androgynous term. It's not like they've cast pee wee Herman to play Mohamed Ali. Get a grip.

I wouldn't have a problem if I genuinely thought they picked her as she was the best choice for the role. But I seriously doubt that was the case.

Soldato
Have watched Doctor Who for many years now, earliest i remember is Jon Pertwee.

Will continue watching regardless. Even if it has bad acting, scripting or settings, as long as there is a Doctor in the house i'm happy.

Would have preferred a male Doctor as that is what i have grown up with, but if that's what they want to do with the show, so be it.

As long as they don't give her a totally dim witted male companion to really rub it in. (thinking Ghostbusters 2016 :D)

Caporegime
Its funny how those people labelling others internet morons, are too moronic themselves to understand the difference between "female timelords" and "female Dr Whos". I havent yet seen anyone complaining about the idea of female timelords, the ones who I have seen complain are complaining about a female Dr Who not a female timelord.

But then , seeing that distinction in peoples complaints wouldnt serve their agenda would it.

Which only goes to show exactly what the problem with our society is these days and how there is an increasingly large number pushing an agenda today.
Please do list your specific objections to why a unisex character (as per canon) cannot be portrayed by a woman, but must be portrayed by a man.

Did you poo the bed this much when Missy appeared?

J.T

J.T

Soldato
Like some others have said, I have no issue with the new Doctor being a woman the main reason this annoys me is that they have only done it to be "in" and "modern".

Now all we need is a wimpy male sidekick that can be put down each week for being a man (keep in mind all previous female sidekicks have been pretty strong and in no way damsels in distress!) and for the new Doctor to be a lesbian and bang, we have hit the quota for diversity tick boxes... progressive....

Why can't they make new Female lead programs, they had the perfect opportunity for this when Clara and Me went off in their own Tardis, that's a spin off show I would like to see...

Also why is it not ok for people to have an issue with this but it is ok for people to be damn right nasty towards those people who do have an issue with it, typical double standards.

Soldato
DE4BxjbXgAA0Hmc.jpg:small

Permabanned
The toxicity around this casting is pathetic. Most of the people have likely not seen the show in years. The way the media is bleeting on about it too, from the left and the right is doing no one any favours.

Associate
Like some others have said, I have no issue with the new Doctor being a woman the main reason this annoys me is that they have only done it to be "in" and "modern".

Now all we need is a wimpy male sidekick that can be put down each week for being a man (keep in mind all previous female sidekicks have been pretty strong and in no way damsels in distress!) and for the new Doctor to be a lesbian and bang, we have hit the quota for diversity tick boxes... progressive....

Why can't they make new Female lead programs, they had the perfect opportunity for this when Clara and Me went off in their own Tardis, that's a spin off show I would like to see...

Also why is it not ok for people to have an issue with this but it is ok for people to be damn right nasty towards those people who do have an issue with it, typical double standards.

I was pretty much about to type up something very similar.

I am surprised they went down this route and it does smack of agenda pushing to me. But it really does all depend on how the episodes play out really. If there are signs early on that it's basically gone full Doctor PC SJW then it'll be pretty short lived I would imagine and she'll be gone after one season.

On other hand, if it's basically just a female Doctor in great stories and the writing is good then it'll be different story entirely. I have little faith though myself, although am hoping it will deliver. I gave up with this recent Capaldi season. It was dreadful I felt but I'm told it has some good episodes. I might persevere with it.

Man of Honour
Please do list your specific objections to why a unisex character (as per canon) cannot be portrayed by a woman, but must be portrayed by a man.

Did you poo the bed this much when Missy appeared?

Sorry but no, I'm not going to list my objections, you know why? Because nobody has to justify their opinions to a stranger on an internet forum. My opinion is that a character like Dr Who should be a male, despite the ability to be female, just as its also my opinion that the lead character in an Aliens film should be a female, despite it being within the realms to be a male. Others opinions differ and thats up to them, but I am not going to justify my opinions to a person (no offence intended) who means nothing to me (nor would I expect them to justify their opinion on something to me)

Caporegime

Really? It's been canon for decades that the doctor is unisex. Surely it's positively well overdue, and therefore completely and totally not modern for the 13th Doctor to be the first to be female..

Caporegime
Sorry but no, I'm not going to list my objections, you know why? Because ( and indeed nobody else ) has to justify their opinions to a stranger on an internet forum. My opinion is that a character like Dr Who should be a male, despite the ability to be female, just as its also my opinion that the lead character in an Aliens film should be a female, despite it being within the realms to be a male. Others opinions differ and thats up to them, but I am not going to justify my opinions to a person (no offence intended) who means nothing to me (nor would I expect them to justify their opinion on something to me)
Oh right, you're not going to list any objections but you are going to put the spotlight on anyone pointing out your misogyny.

Oh and all offense intended, don't bother pretending it isn't.

Permabanned
Really? It's been canon for decades that the doctor is unisex. Surely it's positively well overdue, and therefore completely and totally not modern for the 13th Doctor to be the first to be female..

My lady friend said this yesterday (she's no feminist btw, just in case anyone wants to use that against her, she's just NUTS about the show). Said she didn't really give a damn either way. Said the casting has never really been an issue in the more recent seasons, the writing and pacing has been the problem.

Soldato

Spot on

Man of Honour
Oh right, you're not going to list any objections but you are going to put the spotlight on anyone pointing out your misogyny.

Oh and all offense intended, don't bother pretending it isn't.

Actually Im afraid you are being over defensive, I was 100% sincere when I said no offence intended, however if you wish to take offence where none was, thats your choice.

I wasnt aware that I had put the spotlight on anyone.

And no, as I say, I am not going to justify my opinions (on any subject) to someone I dont know in the slightest and am hugely likely to never meet or have a life relationship with, in an internet forum. Nor would I expect anyone on here to justify themselves to me

Back
Top Bottom