Doctor Who

Soldato
The Doctor is the trans character, it's a man turning into a woman!

(I don't have a problem with a woman playing the character, but the BBC diversity checkbox ticking is starting to get a bit old. Speaking of old I think a slightly older doctor would have been better as they can be more intimidating. Everyone was scared of the older teachers at school, not the younger ones.)

Soldato
Quite enjoyed it too but it seemed a tad contrived and aimless. What are the chances of some decent writing in the new series? Next to zero probably...

Don
Probably in the minority but really enjoyed the Christmas special. Not really seen much of the first doctor before, but felt the portrayal was good and worked well.

Whilst the episode didn't really go anywhere in terms of story, I thought it was a good blend of Doctor Who nostalgia with some serious history ref: World war 1, and the Christmas armistice.

Remains to be seen how good the new doctor is, but at least she's fairly pleasing to the eye
probably cant say that :)

Man of Honour
I've not been a massive Doctor Who fan recently but I really enojoyed that episode. I liked the revisiting of William Hartnell's Doctor but unfortunately I felt he was just used to show how times have changed in preparation for the female Doctor. A lot more could have been made of him.

...and liked the twist of the Brigadier's grandfather.

As I said, I'm not a regular viewer anymore. I'll probably watch one or two episodes with the new Doctor to give it a chance. But they will have to be good for me to return to regularly watching it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not bad :)
Makes a nice change to actually have an episode with plot for a Christmas special instead of the goofy nonsense they usually roll out.

Still, they seem to always suffer with dragging emotional farewells out until all emotion is destroyed and forgotten.
Hope they fix that for future regenerations.

Thought the ye olde timey 'glass women' joke and the modern reaction to it was pretty funny :D

Soldato
I really liked the episode but I felt the first Doctor was a little misused. Even he is supposed to be several hundred years old and from a super advanced civilization. I can understand him being patrician but why would he replicate the social attitudes of early 20th Century Earth he's a time traveller. That felt like a forced plot device cos you know woman timelord incoming. Also he is a thousand years younger than the twelfth Doctor, surely he should be the freer spirit the less burdened. What was nice about this episode was that it wasn't sorted by the power of hugs, kisses and positive thinking which has been the DW trope the last 10 years. I don't hold up much hope for the series this year I can't imagine the writers will be able to keep the politics out of plots, how many female super powers will we see? I'd just like some good old time stories where the Doctor isn't God and can't solve anything makes a few hard choices and is sometimes a victim of events.

Oh yeah and it was a shame this episode wasn't for 3 years ago, I thought the Christmas 1914 cease fire was really poignant for Xmas Day but hitting the 100th Anniversary would have been nailing it.

Back
Top Bottom