Doctor Who

Mobster
Soldato
As others have said, a marked improvement over what we had previously. I certainly liked this episode enough.

Only, there was one minor niggle that kept nagging at me: Wilf shooting moles? The man who never fired a gun? That seemed (to me) to be a disservice to Wilfs character. Whilst yes, things could have changed since we last saw them, that just seemed such an important defining characteristic of Wilf's character previously, to have been altered for "fun" in their old age. But, that's just me. I can accept it still, but it still nags at me.

I am not sure he was against firing a gun was he? He just never had been involved directly in any war.

If the whole period of 2012-2023 was a 2/10 this is like a 6/10, far better but still far off what we had in the peak of the RTD era. Still I will take it.

I think it's such a shame neither Smith nor Capaldi had RTD.

Associate
I am not sure he was against firing a gun was he? He just never had been involved directly in any war.

I'm fairly certain that Wilf was involved in one of the wars (given BC history too). But never fired a weapon despite being so. This was a very unique and distinct aspect of Wilf, so much so that he was called out on in Tennants previous last episode (and regenerated into Matt) and he defiantly expressed that it was nothing shameful about not firing a weapon despite being in war before.

:: edit ::

Yeah, a quick rummage of the Doctor Who wiki confirms Wilf was in WWII (Underage enlistment).

:: edit again ::

It's "taking a life" despite in war. And again, proud of not having done so. So old age Wilf shooting Moles (that would have died without The Doctor's extra Forcefields) seems off.

If the whole period of 2012-2023 was a 2/10 this is like a 6/10, far better but still far off what we had in the peak of the RTD era. Still I will take it.

I think it's such a shame neither Smith nor Capaldi had RTD.

Aye.

Last edited:
Soldato
The episode started off ok and then went downhill the longer it went on. I'll probably give the new doctor a couple of episodes but it's not looking good, he's going to be far too over the top isn't he.

Mmmmm, i thought the opposite, he seemed quite serious at times.

Thought it was an excellent episode and am pleased to report that NPH was quite awesome in this - i just remember him been dire in Matrix Resurrections.

Musical number: fabulous! Just like Buffy, Scrubs, Strange New Worlds, Doom Patrol etc and other shows that have done a musical episode - this fitted the moment and fitted the character of the Toy Maker. Although NPH can sing - dunno why they had him miming the fricking Spice Girls!

I thought Ncuti with the fairground hammer was brilliant, very clever, "You get a prize honey" - lol. We give DT the happiness he deserves and yes, it seems it isn't the last we'll see of him - yey!

I did roll my eyes at the wheelchair accessible TARDIS, but then thought, "Why not?" - makes sense in this day and age.

I thought we may have seen DT checking in on Rose Tyler, but that may have been too complicated and a final goodbye to DT, so i can see why that never happened, for now.

I hope Ncuti will be a good Doctor, although i did struggle with his accent a bit on some words. I liked his take on DT's "What?" to "What if?". And, The Master!!!

JRS

JRS

Soldato
As mentioned before it’s not the diversity it’s the associated preachy wokery.

Thing is, it's absolutely the diversity for some people.

The BBC received more than 100 complaints from Doctor Who viewers who argued that the inclusion of Yasmin Finney’s transgender character Rose was “inappropriate.”

The corporation has revealed it had 144 messages from disgruntled viewers in its fortnightly report on audience complaints. Some said Heartstopper star Finney’s character was “anti-male,” while others said it was an “inappropriate inclusion of [a] transgender character.”

'Anti-male'...rolled my eyes at that so hard it hurt...

Soldato
I thought the wokery was mocking, if anything - like last week - but good for the children

It's categorised as a childrens programme now - so if trans-actors are seen as unduly normalising transitioning that's a issue
social transitioning is a problem in the education system, if that incorrectly starts them on the 'pathway' -
don't know if disney already precludes some markets by it's choice - are trans presenters on cbbc now used.

Although the music from the musical/stageshow toymaker character was ok - the other mood music/muzak was a bit intrusive(Titanic'esque)

Soldato
Decent Episode I thought, the two doctor thing ruined it though, guarantee Tennant will be pulled back in when ratings dip.
Just read the spoiler - doesnt seem like they have much faith in the new doctor..

Judging by the Christmas trailer it does seem like they are aiming for a much younger audience.

Soldato
Just read the spoiler - doesnt seem like they have much faith in the new doctor..

Judging by the Christmas trailer it does seem like they are aiming for a much younger audience.
From all the comments I've seen recently it's mostly looking great. Hardly any negative comments and everyone saying they can't wait for Ncuti. They love him already after the short 10 mins we got last night.

Soldato
I thought the wokery was mocking, if anything - like last week - but good for the children

It's categorised as a childrens programme now - so if trans-actors are seen as unduly normalising transitioning that's a issue
social transitioning is a problem in the education system, if that incorrectly starts them on the 'pathway' -

don't know if disney already precludes some markets by it's choice - are trans presenters on cbbc now used.

Although the music from the musical/stageshow toymaker character was ok - the other mood music/muzak was a bit intrusive(Titanic'esque)
So you have issues with trans people then?

I enjoyed the music. Murray Gold have been on top form with these new episodes. The 15th adoctors theme sounds really epic. Big bold and brash. Much like the character will be.

Associate
the end music sounds fantastic on a good surround system.

Quite enjoyed that episode and the concept of multiple doctors and tardis' doing the rounds doesn't bother me, although these two are in the same timeline whereas IIRC in the five doctors the other ones were taken out of their own timeline. Not going to let it bother me either way. Will see what happens when they both work together in future episodes. Need to give the new doctor time as I wasn't sure about Matt Smith when he was announced but he was up there with the best.

Soldato
At this point I reckon the Xmas special will feature the return of the Toymaker as both Doctors Tennant and Ncuti join forces to fight him whilst rendering a duet of the Spice Girls hit "2 Become One".......

Given RTD scriptwriting ability I wouldn't expect much better plot wise judging by recent form!

Last edited:
Soldato
At this point I reckon the Xmas special will feature the return of the Toymaker as both Doctors Tennant and Ncuti join forces to fight him whilst rendering a duet of the Spice Girls hit "2 Become One".......

Given RTD scriptwriting ability I wouldn't expect much better plot wise judging by recent form!
Irs purely about the goblin King. Though there is a song as the goblins sing about the King I believe. Song gets released tomorrow apparently.

That enthusiasm will fade once he starts wearing trousers.
I highly doubt that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom