Doctor Who

Soldato
Well I just bought the (2005) S1 - S4 Blu-Ray box set which will do me nicely (I may get 5 - 7 as well) as I won't be watching any more New Who until they get some decent writers who actually put the focus into the storyline instead of ramming every inclusivity trope they can into an episode at the expense of the story.

Soldato
I'd have had no issue with the doctor being black, as at the end of the day he's a guy who regenerates and changes his appearance. But his sexuality change is just ridiculous. The show has never mentioned his sexuality, it's never been about that. But of course it's totally about that now.

His sexuality has never been part of the storyline, I would however, given his age, presume he was bi.

Soldato
His sexuality has never been part of the storyline, I would however, given his age, presume he was bi.
It certainly has been mentioned a number of times.

Jack certainly tried with him and the doctor flirted once or twice. There was also 11 and Craig, that joke about them being a couple in S6. Married to River. Various people trying it on with the Doctor.

Soldato
Being mentioned in passing vs having a whole episode based on how people are brave and strong and independent people are because of their sexuality is the difference I think most are getting at here.

But still, this thread is borderline getting off topic..

Soldato
And back on track...................

Ep 3, enjoyed that. Good Who and deffo a dig at Religion and War in the name of peace.

Ep 4, wtf? Spooky, but i'm confused:

I get it was Ruby, but why? Gwilliam was part of history as the Doctor said, so why did history need to change? What was the old lady saying that made people run away?

Same actress episodes - somethings brewing.

Children themed episodes - what do we think about this?

Soldato
Ruby thought getting rid of Mad Jack would fix everything. It didn't.

Ruby had a fear of being alone as was a foundling. Scared of not having anyone. So while well never know what was said it is likely that terrible it made them want to run away and not be near Ruby.
Ruby had to accept she was stronger and not having the doctor to sort it meant she had to face the issue and deal with it. Leading her to realise she was the old woman, there for sending her back to prompt Ruby and stop that future happening by preventing the Doctor from breaking the faerie circle.

But also could have something to do with who she is or where she came from

Soldato
I get it was Ruby, but why? Gwilliam was part of history as the Doctor said, so why did history need to change? What was the old lady saying that made people run away?
I wonder if it was the same thing everytime to everyone or something unique to the person? For UNIT and KLB was it something like, "She killed the Doctor." Something relevant to that person about something Ruby had done?

Soldato
Ruby thought getting rid of Mad Jack would fix everything. It didn't.

Ruby had a fear of being alone as was a foundling. Scared of not having anyone. So while well never know what was said it is likely that terrible it made them want to run away and not be near Ruby.
Ruby had to accept she was stronger and not having the doctor to sort it meant she had to face the issue and deal with it. Leading her to realise she was the old woman, there for sending her back to prompt Ruby and stop that future happening by preventing the Doctor from breaking the faerie circle.

But also could have something to do with who she is or where she came from

But at the end it seemed young Ruby had no knowledge of what happened, she stopped the Doctor from breaking the cotton, but it was the Doctor who told her not to read the messages.

Also, what were the hand signals/messages old Ruby kept repeating?

Last edited:
Soldato
Well that was a better episode the best one so far 4/5 the only thing letting it down was the ending which didn't really make any sense
How did old Ruby manage to get to all those places in space/time? What did she say to the people and why were they so affected? Where did the Dr disappear to anyhow? Other than some vague handwaving about the supernatural (fairy rings? Seriously?) it didn't coalesce at all. Oh and "yards" how many people of Ruby's age even have a clue what a yard is? A sop to the american audience and Disney presumably. Season One indeed. Pfft.
so knocked off a star for that.

Soldato
It's seems like a number of people have been left confused by this, some called it lazy writing because some bits were left ambiguous. That's how some of the greatest horrors of the past have done things and usually works better.

That fear of the unknown, not knowing when was said or what happened was more unsettling than having it all explained and broken down.

When the Doctor broke the faeriecircle it released the magic contained, causing the Doctor to cease to exist from that point on and why the TARDIS shutdown.
Future or ghost Ruby aas following Ruby a constant in her life, stsying close by and playing in to her fear of abandonment. What was said to those who ran away in fear wasn't all that important. Only that it made Ruby feel more alone, when Ruby was about to die she suddenly realised and had come to terms with being alone that it sent her back to become the very thing she was scared of.
73 Yards as a title sounds way better than the alternative in metres or feet lol.it was Russell that came up with the title and again no input from Disney.

I personally didn't have any difficulty in understanding what was happening, but it's possible there will be more we'll understand come the finale.
such as why Ruby can seemingly make it snow and also why it never snowed again.
Susan Twist again and Ruby seems to have noticed shes seen her before.
There was also the weird no intro and just straight into the story.
i think my theory on the Doctors story is being messed with and watched and that its the Toymakers legions that are doing so, might have something in it .

Last edited:
Soldato
Well it (4) was certainly a good episode, mainly because Ncuti was only in it for about 2 mins total. But the story didn't really feel Dr Whoish, more like something from Tales Of The Unexpected or similar.

There was a certain paradox in that back in the first episode (I think), the Doctor warned Ruby about the dangers of changing the future by the slightest mis-step yet in this episode not only did the Doctor place a great big clumsy step into the faerie ring, Ruby then used the knowledge of future events to
(character) assasinate a politician albeit presumably preventing a nuclear holocaust.

Which seems contrary to any sort of non interference poiicy the Time Lords exercise (Pompeii episode way back refers).

Last edited:
Soldato
Well it (4) was certainly a good episode, mainly because Ncuti was only in it for about 2 mins total. But the story didn't really feel Dr Whoish, more like something from Tales Of The Unexpected or similar.

There was a certain paradox in that back in the first episode (I think), the Doctor warned Ruby about the dangers of changing the future by the slightest mis-step yet in this episode not only did the Doctor place a great big clumsy step into the faerie ring, Ruby then used the knowledge of future events to
(character) assasinate a politician albeit presumably preventing a nuclear holocaust.

Which seems contrary to any sort of non interference poiicy the Time Lords exercise (Pompeii episode way back refers).

It didn't make enough sense to me. It could have been clever, but failed because there were some questions left unanswered at the end of it. So, no, big fail. That's only one success so far.

Back
Top Bottom