Doctor Who

Soldato
I resent having to pay a TV licence to fund crap like this
can blame netflix too, they have crap like 'sex education' appealing to genx - so called actor rises to celebrity the rest is (hopefully) history;
yes jodie she was a product of the bbc crime show , but I think capaldi/eccleston/tenant have a more classical pedigree.

Caporegime
can blame netflix too, they have crap like 'sex education' appealing to genx - so called actor rises to celebrity the rest is (hopefully) history;
yes jodie she was a product of the bbc crime show , but I think capaldi/eccleston/tenant have a more classical pedigree.
Sex Education, one of the most popular and highly regarded programs on Netflix is crap or just not for you?

Back in my day :o

Soldato
I watched a YouTube video that broke down the plot of the space babies episode. Dear god, what a pile of old crap :p
It really was. I had actually given up on it after the Christmas episodes and removed it from my 'to record' on my DVR but I thought "just one more try". Really, REALLY wish I hadn't bothered. Both episodes were an absolute pile of **** without a single redeeming feature. I will definitely not be tempted back into watching it again, that's for sure!

Soldato
You think they had a better pedigree?

Tennent has done a lot of theatre including Shakespeare. Though his career spans many years with allsorts of TV films. Even playing a character called Davina on BBC Scotlands Rab C Nesbitt. Though lots of support roles, his TV career didn't really take off till 2005s Casanova written by Russell T Davis.

Eccleston started his career on stage also, his TV and film carreer started with guest spots on Inspector Morse, Poirot and a role in Cracker and some big shows in the 90s. Our Friends in the North, Hillsborough and, The Second Coming among many others. Movie wise was in Shallow Grave, 24hr Party People, quite a number of big Hollywood movies, like Existenz, Gone in 60 seconds and 28 Days Later.

Capaldi again started his long career on the stage before going in to TV and Movies.

Soldato
So Doctor Who is driving away their current audience and think they can fill the gap with the alphabet brigade, that's not going to end well.
And that’s what all these companies don’t understand. The people they’re pandering to don’t consume their product, so alienating 90% of their current consumers means 90% less revenue.

Unless the company is the BBC and funded by the State on pain of imprisonment.

Soldato
Sex Education, one of the most popular and highly regarded programs on Netflix is crap or just not for you?
just clever marketing fast food diet for genx - Elon Musk talks about unregretted use for twitter users I'd put SE in the negative category,
will people remember any plot elements from SE in the future, or rewatch it.
In the context of increased hours that people watch tv is the percentage of viewing time that genx watched SE greater or less than time spent on breaking bad when that was released,

You think they had a better pedigree?
inimitably ... but I can't tell if you agree or refute their talent ?
much though an actors plasticity is vaunted to mold to a directors demands - I'd suggest they can compliment and add to a performance, unlike the new guy.

Last edited:
Soldato
And that’s what all these companies don’t understand. The people they’re pandering to don’t consume their product, so alienating 90% of their current consumers means 90% less revenue.

Unless the company is the BBC and funded by the State on pain of imprisonment.

Who knows?

We don't know what the opinion of the masses is. Time will tell.

Personally, I think they have started to pitch the show way to much towards kids and are forgetting/failing the previous generations of kids who still watch it, and the casting has gone to Hell in a bucket, but who am I?

I doubt they would ever admit their mistake anyway. They will just axe the show and leave it for ten years before they pick it up again.

Caporegime
stop posting in this topic unless you plan to carry on watching the show. (aimed at no individual)

let the thread die already.

Ncuti or whatever his name is said for every doctor who fan who stops watching, 5 new viewers will come for the diversity and inclusivity :cry:

about 5% of the population is their target audience

Last edited:
Man of Honour
just clever marketing fast food diet for genx - Elon Musk talks about unregretted use for twitter users I'd put SE in the negative category,
will people remember any plot elements from SE in the future, or rewatch it.
In the context of increased hours that people watch tv is the percentage of viewing time that genx watched SE greater or less than time spent on breaking bad when that was released,

inimitably ... but I can't tell if you agree or refute their talent ?
much though an actors plasticity is vaunted to mold to a directors demands - I'd suggest they can compliment and add to a performance, unlike the new guy.
I'll have you know that Gen X'rs are one of the cool generations ! 1965 to 1980. You probably mean the Gen Z folks :)

Soldato
Watched Dr Who for the first time a few weeks ago. Didn’t understand it. Didn’t seem to make much sense. Don’t suppose it’s the type of programme you can just drop into. If he’s an alien why does he look like a Human and speak English, has that ever been explained?

the targis translates everything, spoken and written, when he speaks to an alien they think he is speaking their language

a quick google

the novel Lucifer Rising says morphic fields caused many species in the universe to look like Gallifreyans..., so he does not look human, we look Gallifreyan

Soldato
So Doctor Who is driving away their current audience and think they can fill the gap with the alphabet brigade, that's not going to end well.

jodie killed the show for me... the new diversity hire gives me no confidence they can make the show good again... maybe he is a great actor but i suspect he was one of the only "qualified" actors so was jsut given the job.. even if he is great he will struggle with the writing of the show

Soldato
Yes a tried and tested failed strategy, ask Disney and Marvel - oh it's Disney running it again... :D

Chubs and RTD have ruined Doctor Who.
Absolutely, the best strategy when you’re putting out low quality badly received content is to double down and blame the audience for not appreciating it. Then maybe accuse them of being racist, misogynistic and homophonic for good measure.

Far better doing that than acknowledging your scriptwriters and producers are actually incompetent / incapable and replacing them.

Last edited:
Associate
Absolutely, the best strategy when you’re putting out low quality badly received content is to double down and blame the audience for not appreciating it. Then maybe accuse them of being racist, misogynistic and homophonic for good measure.

Far better doing that than acknowledging your scriptwriters and producers are actually incompetent / incapable and replacing them.

Big companies now blame customers on a regular basis, such is the narcissism of the people who run them.

Back
Top Bottom