Driveclub more details

Soldato
DON'T PANIC

Dunn1.jpg

Associate
Officially it's because the servers could not cope with the U.S. launch and to free up bandwidth they have pulled the Ps+ version..

Unofficially yes more than likely :)

I very much doubt it - I wasn't able to connect to the servers at all last nigjt in about 4-5 hours worth of playing.

Soldato
Starting to be glad I pre-ordered this at £21 :p

If it is crap, and I hope it isn't, then I will just sell and carry on playing FH2!

Associate
This is worth reading for those that haven't seen it.

Digital foundry http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-driveclub

Here is their verdict

There was a lot pressure on Evolution Studios to deliver a state-of-the-art flagship title that defined the PS4's next-generation credentials - a racing game that blurs the line between arcade and simulation while boasting the latest graphical features only possible on higher-end hardware. Despite some teething problems earlier in development, this is a feat that DriveClub manages to accomplish. Indeed, the game has benefitted from a remarkable makeover: from scrappy contender to visually polished technological showcase for PlayStation 4 hardware. The attention to detail and complex effects work is undeniably superb, while the handling model delivers an experience to suit both casual players and the more hardcore driving fans looking for something different from the likes of Gran Turismo or Forza Motorsport.

For all its rendering accomplishments, DriveClub is actually best viewed more as an evolution of an old-school arcade racing game, as opposed to a state-of-the-art simulation. In gameplay terms, the lack of open world exploration and use of fixed tracks may seem a little behind the times, but the use of carefully designed point-to-point routes and traditional tracks suit the social aspect of the game, which revolves around challenging other players while winning events to increase status for yourself and your club.

In that sense, DriveClub comes across as an updated take on the classic arcade racer, played out at a global level, with both competitive and collaborative gameplay at the very heart of the experience. The handling model makes the game easy to pick up and play, while the relentless AI on higher difficulty settings keeps single-player races interesting as you constantly battle to stay in first place.

Of course, while the game is finally on retail shelves this week, development of DriveClub is an on-going process, and we are promised a range of features in the coming months via post-launch updates. The first of these adds dynamic weather to the game, adding another layer of uncertainty to driving conditions while no doubt showcasing even more of Evolution's tech - something we'll take a look at in the near future. Photo and replay modes are also on their way.

It's fair to say that we had more fun with the game than Mike did in the Eurogamer review, but there are areas where we agree that the game falls a little short: the penalties and driving restrictions can sap the fun out of the most intense moments, and perhaps there is a lack of soul and charisma at the heart of the game. But for us, the combination of the arcade-style handling and the often beautiful visuals delivers an experience well worth checking out.

Soldato
Why do I think this is a way to get more full game sales ? I'd love to see how many people will cancel their pre-order or just not bother downloading the PS Plus version when/if it comes out.

Surely they knew that their servers would be taking a beating during the first few weeks or so. Just like with GTV Online, these companys seem surprised when these things happen, why ? :rolleyes

Last edited:
Soldato
I am still looking forward to playing this on friday but i did not realise there would be no weather implementation on day of release :( its obviously still been rushed out and is still not fully ready.

Its a shame really:)

Back
Top Bottom