Driveclub more details

Associate
While I tend to be quite cynical about this sort of thing, I don't actually think this is a ploy to get more full-sales.

The servers went down straight after the US launch, and they don't seem to be able to get them back up. At least if they remove the free option for now they have indicators as to the additional load they should expect from pre-orders over the next couple of days. Introducing the free version gives them no idea what the additional load will be, and thus making it more difficult to fix.

Soldato
Why the roll eyes? Can't I feel let down based on what I've read, seen in video reviews and read from other users who have played the game?

That's a breakdown list of the main low points from reviews, makes for some disappointment from some of them.

Makes you wonder what the game was like before the delay?!

Soldato
It baffles me as well. It's like they're sat there going "holy crap! People are actually playing our game!! Why did nobody tells us this would happen?!"

Throwing more capacity at it = more money. They maybe see what they can get away with, then fix it if needs be afterwards? Is the PS4 stuff hosted on Sony-run servers, or externally?

Soldato
Having fun play Forza Horizon 2 at the moment to worry about DriveClub, wasn't going to playa it till weather effects was patched in. Wish we had a real arcade racer like a new Namco Ridge Racer or Wipeout game, something actually worth getting your teeth into

Soldato
LMAO....like any of that really shows in the game, if it exists at all in any form.

I was more concerned that the car you drive is the single head light source, which looks less real considering your are surrounded by other racing cars with seemingly no headlights.

Soldato
*cough* Rockstar - GTA V *cough*

There was a 5 year gap between GTA4 and GTA5 and a massive investment to boot. It isn't even close to being the same thing. Incomparable.

Anyway back to DC. Still really looking forward to finding out for myself whether it's any good or not.

Last edited:
Soldato
LMAO....like any of that really shows in the game, if it exists at all in any form.

I was more concerned that the car you drive is the single head light source, which looks less real considering your are surrounded by other racing cars with seemingly no headlights.

Read the article? A lot of it is noticeable in game, including some poor anisotropic filtering. But for the most part, it looks leagues ahead of other PS4 games in terms of graphics.

smr

smr

Soldato
tbf I can't imagine many people not doing the same thing in charge of their own computer game. sales will be worse than expected so they need all the money they can get to keep going and make drive club 2 better.

Associate

Other cars headlights do create a light source. Even their brake lights do.

You can see their lights shining on the rear of your car in chase cam, and see their lights on your rear view mirror in cockpit view.

Look at this video, at around 14 seconds in you can even see the car infronts brake lights reflecting off your dash. If you watch the video you can then see other cars headlights providing an actual light source.

And at 44 seconds you see the car just to the sides headlights lighting up the interior and wing mirror.

Lastly at around 53 seconds you see the car behinds headlights lighting up the rear of the car.

One thing that can't be argued is the amount of detail they've put into this game, unfortunately I feel that may have been their downfall as it seems they prioritised little details.

My only worry is that they won't support the game the way they have said, but provided they stay true to their word on the weather patch etc I'll be happy.

Last edited:
Associate
So now no ps+ version as everyone cancelled pre-orders as its barely a polished turd? Wow money grabbing ****

...that's what you're taking out of this?

PS+ version delayed - not cancelled - as the servers are rammed and aren't working for a lot of people, so they did it to try alleviate some of the issues.

I'm not excusing the server problems as yes they should be working, but come on...

Soldato
Eurogamer's DF article has put a more positive spin on things, though still agrees with many of the common criticisms from the EG review and others. Still looking forward to trying it out. Hopefully the server issues don't delay the rollout of the PS+ edition too much.

Associate
I think where they're not going to do themselves any favours is providing India as the location in the free ps plus version.

It's apparently the worst looking location. I know some would argue that the game plays the same so you can get an idea of gameplay, but I reckon some nice fancy graphics would catch some people's attention.

Back
Top Bottom