Driveclub more details

Soldato
So what's really outstanding or new about Driveclub? I was initially excited when I thought we got a decent chunk of the game free but for £50 It'll have to be more than just a pretty racer with a slick online mode. What sets it apart from other games? Surely something like The Crew is a bigger step forward for online driving games.

Associate
For starters - it's a looker. Some gorgeous visuals from what I've seen so far.

Surprised no one has brought this up - Eurogamer news item - Microtransations - only there for convenience - honest, guv.

Which set my alarm bells ringing. Despite what some claim, micro-transactions nearly always affect the design mechanics of a game and are not simply added to the game for the convenience.

On top of the full PS+ full upgrade u-turn, vagueness and mis-communication of what's in PS+ version and posts being deleted from NeoGaf by the studio head, this latest news just leaves me with an ill feeling about the game.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Micro transaction in a full priced game are usually just shortcuts tbh.

If they gave the game away for free then sometimes but not always they are needed if you want to play on a level field.

War Thunder is an example of this, it's free to play and not pay to win but pay to advance quicker.

Not all companies set the game up so you have to pay to play basically. EA are ones who are going in that direction though especially with FIFA, you get 500 coins per (18 minutes in real time) match and yet the top players can cost several million coins.

Therefore you can see how it's impossible really to get the top players without paying for them using cash.

Associate
Micro transaction in a full priced game are usually just shortcuts tbh.

If they gave the game away for free then sometimes but not always they are needed if you want to play on a level field.

War Thunder is an example of this, it's free to play and not pay to win but pay to advance quicker.

Not all companies set the game up so you have to pay to play basically. EA are ones who are going in that direction though especially with FIFA, you get 500 coins per (18 minutes in real time) match and yet the top players can cost several million coins.

Therefore you can see how it's impossible really to get the top players without paying for them using cash.

Personally think that microtransations in full price games are anything other than shortcuts. Shortcuts for the player maybe but ones where developers have changed or compromised the design of the game in some way to bring in more revenue.

Recent games like Forza 5 and Fifa prove that (although at least with Fifa it's a whole different mode).

There's a good article here that touches the main points of MT's in recent full-price releases: http://www.edge-online.com/features/the-next-gen-cash-grab-why-paymium-fundamentally-compromises-console-game-design/.

A fitting quote as to why the publisher have likely chosen to add MT's:
A better defence for Turn 10 and other developers is the sheer brutal cost of game development. With each new technological advance, the costs of triple-A development are increasing, but sales from retail games remain relatively static. EA’s Jorgensen has forecasted a five to ten per cent rise in development costs on eighth-gen platforms. Passing that cost on to players, they might argue, is the only way to support the failing development model.

Apologies as this risks going off topic, but there is no need for these to be there. A more honest payment method is preferable in my eyes.

Last edited:
Soldato
for anyone wondering about details and compressions of the game compared to the youtube clip and all the others this is a pretty good read neogaf

1ahhkcf.gif

Soldato
I have to say, Driveclub is looking a lot better than Forza 5. I got bored of Forza really quick as the tracks are so boring, they are mostly flat race circuits and not tracks on roads with hills etc.

This on the other hand looks pretty tasty...

Soldato
I have to say, Driveclub is looking a lot better than Forza 5. I got bored of Forza really quick as the tracks are so boring, they are mostly flat race circuits and not tracks on roads with hills etc.

This on the other hand looks pretty tasty...

That is really impressive, the amount of details is crazy... maybe the wait has been worth it :)

Soldato
What's the deal with only being able to turn the wheel 90 degrees in each direction? Why do most if not all driving games do this?

As for the GT comparison. I don't think the two should be compared (in terms of gameplay). GT is a "SIM" whereas driveclub is clearly an arcade game.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
What's the deal with only being able to turn the wheel 90 degrees in each direction? Why do most if not all driving games do this?

As for the GT comparison. I don't think the two should be compared (in terms of gameplay). GT is a "SIM" whereas driveclub is clearly an arcade game.

Do you plan on turning around much in this?

:p

Back
Top Bottom