Drones over gatwick..

one person who's skilled, organised and staying very well hidden whilst swapping battery packs and/or using multiple drones.

Clyde Shelton (Gerard Butler) is an honorable family man, until the day his wife and daughter are murdered in a home invasion. He hopes for justice, but a rising prosecutor named Nick Rice (Jamie Foxx) cuts a deal with one of the killers in exchange for testimony. Ten years later, that man is found dead and Shelton coolly admits his guilt. Then he hands Rice an ultimatum: Fix the broken legal system or suffer the consequences.

:D

We should be worried that an Airport in the capital can be brought down for 24 hours by one guy and a drone for such a length of time. Pretty surprised so many of you seem to find this acceptable? O_o
I don't think we exactly find it acceptable, but I suspect we're may be more aware of the problems with things like
Firing randomly in a built up area, let alone an airport where a missed round could potentially damage an aircraft and not be spotted.
Blocking radio frequencies needed for aircraft.
The effective range of various options vs the size of the airport and speed of the drone if you say a shot gun has X range, and a good shooter has a response time of Y then you can get an idea of how many people with guns (in an area where they don't like people with guns unless they've been carefully vetted) you would need to get enough coverage to shoot a drone down, or at least have a chance of doing so.
Ditto for any automated counter measures.
How well a drone will show up on Radar - probably not well for the sort of radar that is used in airports given whilst they may have active ground control radar, that usually covers the taxiways and runways, and will likely be tuned to ignore anything under X size.

The manpower required to cover all of the above.

There will be literally nothing they can deploy that will stop a drone with a suitable autopilot system that won't also affect things like airport ops, even something using "EMP" to try and crash the drone's controls would have to be very carefully used because there are a lot of things that will be far more susceptible to being damaged/crashed by it than the drone itself.

Even if they deploy GPS jamming, if you plan ahead with the design you can potentially get around it (possibly inertial guidence or even simple reverse course based on how long it's spent on each direction with an instruction to continue in X direction at the end until control or GPS is reacquired) until it's outside the range of the jamming. Also GPS jamming would likely require permission and co-operation of the government and CAA as you risk it affecting things far outside of the area it's intended for.

True, I'm agreeing with you that automation makes it difficult but I wouldn't say impossible. The thing is with this area the tech currently used generally isn't in the public domain for obvious reasons.

GPS can be spoofed not just jammed, the Russians already make use of this, sometimes mucking about with shipping, but yeah that goes a bit beyond perhaps what someone initially responding to a drone might be feasibly able to do.

I suspect that most potential drone incursions can likely be dealt with via readily available countermeasures to jam a whole range of frequencies from the usual drone frequency ranges through to mobile phone signals. But I guess other measures are perhaps needed too, including perhaps the ability to physically intercept a drone with another drone!

Never seen Gatwick looking like this before

jXZTn1f.png

Heathrow on the other hand is mentally busy.

I agree. I'd like to see an army of security drones searching for the perpetrators drones, but realistically it's unlikely.

Well West Mids Police have 3 themselves. I'm sure the Met would have a few, surrounding forces will have at least one each. Fire Services even have them.

20 v 1 handicap. It'll be like Rambo but in the sky.

An anti-air missile would be safer than using bullets around there. It can't miss and fly off who knows where. Get the army in with a SAM, job done.

Well West Mids Police have 3 themselves. I'm sure the Met would have a few, surrounding forces will have at least one each. Fire Services even have them.

20 v 1 handicap. It'll be like Rambo but in the sky.

And I guess if it is not being controlled remotely (and therefore susceptible to the obvious countermeasures) then some drone following a pre-set flightpath would perhaps be easier to intercept, not likely going to react when approached/attacked by some drone(s) deployed by the police.

Why can’t they just follow it? I assume it’s stopping to change batteries/recharge?
Failing that, why not just ram it with another drone?

Uhhh, yeeeesss . . . the tech savvy Geriatricograph . . .
Tokyo's police force has introduced an elite fleet of interceptor drones designed to chase and catch suspicious-looking drones in nets flying over sensitive locations amid concerns for the prime minister's safety.
Sounds kinda "static" to me.
Those controlling the force drone will first warn the suspicious drone's operator to cease the flight, before pursuing them.
Oh, no! If only the Police could find the drone operator and "warn" her/him to cease the flight.

I suspect that the Police are far more interested in locating, arresting and questioning the drone operator than playing hide and seek with him.

And I guess if it is not being controlled remotely (and therefore susceptible to the obvious countermeasures) then some drone following a pre-set flightpath would perhaps be easier to intercept, not likely going to react when approached/attacked by some drone(s) deployed by the police.

Unless of course, programmed with a rough Crazy Ivan routine along the way on each route. Which makes it just as tough in that case if I'm not mistaken.

From what I hear, since the military have setup their kit, the Drone has only appeared once but for a very short time.

I can see this drone not coming back for a few days. The risk of getting caught is too great now.

The Romans were way advanced for their time with their anti drone weaponry

IO0kEpB.jpg

It's a shame we have forgotten their advanced weaponry techniques

Uhhh, yeeeesss . . . the tech savvy Geriatricograph . . .
Sounds kinda "static" to me.Oh, no! If only the Police could find the drone operator and "warn" her/him to cease the flight.

I suspect that the Police are far more interested in locating, arresting and questioning the drone operator than playing hide and seek with him.

What is up your bum? Something like this happening was easily seen miles off when drones became a consumer product and we've the square root of **** all to protect places from their influence. It is absolutely beyond a joke that a major Airport in of the wealthiest cities in the world that depends on image to sell services.

This is only going to get worse, now that everyone sees how 'easy' it is to functionally cut a major artery in the economy off, it'll be devastating.

Heard an "aviation expert" on CH4 News saying it's possible there's a few drones all programmed to automatically land at charging bases out of area of the pilot.

I have no idea of the feasibility.

Technically I guess, yes. You could rig up wireless charging, but it'd be slow as sin.

There's the option of multiple charges batteries ready, but the motors and ESCs would ruin themselves if you just used the one quadcopter continuously for 4 hours, let alone 12+.

And lol at people saying ''just follow it", do you know how big Gatwick is? And you expect there to be people available and watching for every 700yards or so around the perimeter?

From what I hear, since the military have setup their kit, the Drone has only appeared once but for a very short time.

I can see this drone not coming back for a few days. The risk of getting caught is too great now.

Yes, whilst it's obviously great news for the passengers if the thing disappears indefinitely and they can get on with their holibobs, I'd far rather it ends with whoever's doing it being caught.

Eco mentalists doing it seems to be a growing rumor. If it is they will get caught, these people aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

Back
Top Bottom