Drones over gatwick..

Man of Honour
An anti-air missile would be safer than using bullets around there. It can't miss and fly off who knows where. Get the army in with a SAM, job done.

Eh what SAM? our modern day anti-air capabilities are woefully lacking outside of the stuff on the Type 45s and Phalanx. Best thing would be some kind of hybrid "smart" missile that was more like a UAV that could be guided into an intercept - it isn't like most drones are particularly fast moving.

Associate
Technically I guess, yes. You could rig up wireless charging, but it'd be slow as sin.

There's the option of multiple charges batteries ready, but the motors and ESCs would ruin themselves if you just used the one quadcopter continuously for 4 hours, let alone 12+.

And lol at people saying ''just follow it", do you know how big Gatwick is? And you expect there to be people available and watching for every 700yards or so around the perimeter?

Not so sure about that ESC or motor burn out? I mean I used to build these things, some of my rigs would flow 2 - 4kw peak loads and I don’t think I would have ever worried about burning out motors or controllers, I mean I had my up for hours without issue (but for battery changes)

With regards to tracking / takedown, I imagine it would be pretty easy to spot with thermal imagers, certainly with MoD on board, no idea why the base hasn’t been discovered by this method, with a simple dude + chopper + shotgun with good birdshot or light buckshot... this does seem odd and inept.

Associate
Werewolf said:
Resident said:
There was a news item on earlier that showed a jammer manufacturer who displayed a jammer in operation. It only affected the drone & would only require 2 units for the size of Gatwick (3 for Heathrow)
IIRC it is only designed to affect drones using certain frequencies.
I believe this was designed to work with drones using wifi for communication. The jammer would use a network deauthorisation attack to force the controller to disconnect from the drone. I'm sure there are other attacks methods designed for specific drones.

I'm also sure the military have effective and fairly comprehensive counter measures for places like Afghanistan though I imagine these also nuke large parts of the radio spectrum. Not a problem when you're hauling ass through the red zone of Kabul. Not quite so acceptable in suburban England.

Soldato
Eh what SAM? our modern day anti-air capabilities are woefully lacking outside of the stuff on the Type 45s and Phalanx. Best thing would be some kind of hybrid "smart" missile that was more like a UAV that could be guided into an intercept - it isn't like most drones are particularly fast moving.

We still have rapiers, which is more than enough. A bit overkill, but it least it would be entertaining.

Associate
From what I hear, since the military have setup their kit, the Drone has only appeared once but for a very short time.

I can see this drone not coming back for a few days. The risk of getting caught is too great now.
Time to hit the road and bother another airport.

I'm hoping not. Due to pick up family from (London) Luton airport tomorrow evening.

Associate

Equip all planes and coffee shops with Phalanx. Simples. :cool:

Soldato
Did anyone see the labour MP on news night talking about this topic?

He was clearly ignorant about how proper drones actually work and seemed to think legislation would have stopped this. :rolleyes:

Transmission breaker
Don
Soldato
Surround every airport with a coastal cliff landscape drenched in permanent "golden hour" lighting. No camera drone pilot could possibly resist.

Problem solved. :)

Man of Honour
Did anyone see the labour MP on news night talking about this topic?

He was clearly ignorant about how proper drones actually work and seemed to think legislation would have stopped this. :rolleyes:

It does take a truly incredible amount of stupidity to believe that more laws stop the lawless.

When someone has made a choice to break the law for whatever reason, more law doesn't change it.

What they are doing is already illegal and punishable with substantial jail time. Increasing the exclusion area does nothing when someone is willing to violate it.

Caporegime
Bullets falling from the sky do not cause real damage.

They reach standard terminal velocity and fall through the air as per normal, and essentially tumble due to the thickness of the atmosphere.

All the visions of random bullets piercing lord knows what miles away after being fired into the sky are pure nonsense.

If the bullet was fired horizontally, fair play, it is possible it could go wrong.

Well there are angles between horizontal and straight up perpendicular to the land....

Sure if you fire a bullet or bullets at a drone more or less above you then you'll probably have no problem with it... however that kind of relies on getting directly underneath the drone, you're much more likely, given the height the drone is flying and the size of the airport, to be in a position where taking a shot would involve firing at an angle closer to horizontal than directly upwards.

Man of Honour
We still have rapiers, which is more than enough. A bit overkill, but it least it would be entertaining.

Not really the kind of target that system was designed for though I have no idea of the effectiveness in the hands of the right operator.

Back
Top Bottom