Drones over gatwick..

You say he was seen, but he was arrested at home, and not "red handed" as it were. At least that's how it reads.

I'm firmly in the innocent until proven guilty camp here.

Not sure there was a positive id but sightings of a man with a 4 foot drone I believe lead to this person being a person of interest and I assume he owns such a drone hence police taking it so seriously.

Not sure the alibi necessarily eliminates him though - set up a relay and the appropriate software and you could control something like this remotely from your phone (even if it is just mostly flying a pre-programmed GPS flight path/holding patterns) maybe nip out on your break to refuel it, etc.

I guess they’ll be checking mobile phone data to verify he was at the site he/his boss are claiming he was at etc...?

Would be rather silly if the boss is his mate and just covering for him then ends up getting charged too.

None of this story adds up for me. These two haven’t actually been charged yet from what I’ve read.

Why did take Gatwick so long to call in the jamming equipment, they seemed to spend an awfully long time providing reasons why they wouldn’t shoot it down when it sounds like they never actually needed to? Plus if they could jam the controls why hasn’t the drone been recovered if it’s that close to the airfield? He’s got an alibi and why weren’t they arrested at the scene given how many police/army bods must have been in the area rather than arresting them at home?

I guess they’ll be checking mobile phone data to verify he was at the site he/his boss are claiming he was at etc...?

Would be rather silly if the boss is his mate and just covering for him then ends up getting charged too.

In this day and age it would take me all of 30 minutes or something to set up a system where I could carry out something like this from my phone while almost anywhere in the world the only real logistic would be refuelling if it was a high end commercial drone (3-4 hour flight time or possible to upgrade to 6 on some) and/or changing/charging batteries (which would make it harder with the sub 30 minute flight time of most li-ion powered drones).

In this day and age it would take me all of 30 minutes or something to set up a system where I could carry out something like this from my phone while almost anywhere in the world the only real logistic would be refuelling if it was a high end commercial drone (3-4 hour flight time or possible to upgrade to 6 on some) and/or changing/charging batteries (which would make it harder with the sub 30 minute flight time of most li-ion powered drones).

Well that would be apparent pretty quickly upon inspection of the drone then.

Well that would be apparent pretty quickly upon inspection of the drone then.

Drone itself would require little if any modification - what you would need is some kind of internet enabled base station/relay in the general area. Though I guess you could entirely setup the drone in a fire and forget GPS path coming back to where you refuel it occasionally.

Could just be nosy neighbours know he has a drone and have reported him because they've seen him going out early doors in his van.

Possible - appears to be a number of sightings of a man with an industrial scale drone that has lead back to him without any clarity as to how they are connected.

Drone itself would require little if any modification - what you would need is some kind of internet enabled base station/relay in the general area. Though I guess you could entirely setup the drone in a fire and forget GPS path coming back to where you refuel it occasionally.

But that modification would be apparent when they inspect the drone no?

If he was nearby refuelling it rather than at work presumably that could be flagged up via locating his mobile phone too.

Not to mention the client will no doubt be interviewed by police too. I suspect that if he repeatedly left the site several times to go and refuel his drone then that could become apparent quite quickly.

But that modification would be apparent when they inspect the drone no?

Depends how it was setup - it could simply be taking commands from a modified base station without anything permanently stored or modified on the drone itself.

Depends how it was setup - it could simply be taking commands from a modified base station without anything permanently stored or modified on the drone itself.

Bit convoluted though tbh... part of the benefit of say automating this would be that it can't be interfered with by jamming, ergo you'd want to modify the drone rather than modify the controls and still need to keep the drone within range of the signal, be vulnerable to it being jammed etc..?

Back
Top Bottom