Duke's guide to watching F1 2012 on the cheap

Man of Honour
OP
Just reserved my dish and receiver from B&Q.

One of the reviews was this

"Bought this as many have to get RTL for Formula One for next year.
It had every thing I wanted to do the job. A tip when scanning Astra 1c (19.2) is to remove transponders 47 & 67 when scanning, if you don't the box will lock up.
The dish is a tad ugly, but wasn't worried as I didn't need it I just mounted the supplied LNB along side my existing Sky LNB. Even without the dish, its still excellent value."

Can't wait to get this working!
Yeah the dish is just metal grey so sprayed mine matt black and looks much better (well, less obvious anyway :)).

Associate
I meant the transponder parts ;)

Today I set everything up, removed my old minidish that was pointing to 28.2E astra and and installed this. However I'm having difficulty with getting signal. I pointed it at 28.2E rather than 19.2E as the dish is too big to spin over to 19.2E (touches the side of the house, I'm going to mount it in the shed roof for next year though), so what I did to check the dish over was try and get signal in 28.2E. I had a signal finder however I couldn't get anything. I don't think it's the dish/LNB that's buggered, I just think the elevation scale on the dish as well as the LNB scale is wrong. It's very difficult to get a skew of 14.6 when the scale goes in 5 degree increments. I gave up and returned to the 10+ year old sky mini dish and LNB and straight away it found signal and picked up 200+ channels.
Obviously the Ross dish I'm going to have to get it working for next year's F1 season as I'm not missing out. I tried the Sky mini dish at 19.2E and it got a lot of channels except for RTL, mind you I didn't change the elevation as the nut is rusted at the current setting for 28.2E. It's a shame that the dish is of so poor quality, i just can't seem to get elevation right.

Soldato
LOL

we have a MASSIVE abondend sat dish in our flat roof thats been sitting there since we moved here (15 years?) It looks enormous and its rusty. We also have the original Amstrad box still , i kinda forgot about it and just hooked it up

Got RTL so winnnn! I think ill probably need a better box though where can i buy them? Also how does getting R5L over the top work? will i need a good DAB radio with speakers?

Also have a HTPC that is used for freeview, It has two ariels for input, Is it possible to out the eurodish in this?

Caporegime
stoke - you will need a satalite receiver for your HTPC to connect it to a satalite.

After my HTPC failing to record the race this weekend, and failing to record some other stuff, and generally being a PITA, I have convinced the GF that we are getting Sky+, even if it does mean only a single feed as I am in a flat.

Man of Honour
OP
This may be a stupid question but here goes, if I got a Freesat Humax box could I use this to pick up RTL or Polsat etc? Maybe I could get one and use a motorised dish?

Yep will work fine when the dish is aligned. The only problem with "UK Freesat" boxes is that it will always be wanting to look for the old satellite, so I found with the Bush receiver that you HAD to connect the old feed in first to get past the set up screen, then I could add channels in manually. A more generic sat receiver will be easier as it will just scan for anything on the satellite you're aiming at. So in short, it will work but may take a little longer to set up.

Soldato
I'm in need of a non Sky solution and while lobbing a dish on the house is an option it's not really one I want to do as I'd also need another TV card.

Surely getting a live feed over the internetz is much less hassle than buying and installing a new dish?

Please provide details of decent quality live feeds (in trust if necessary) ;)

Thanks

Man of Honour
OP
Surely getting a live feed over the internetz is much less hassle than buying and installing a new dish?

Depends really. If you can find a decent feed then yeah, however a lot are very poor quality.. also assuming you have a decent TV near to hook up to.

I think we'll find out when the season starts what the best options turn out to be. Just trying to get the info in one thread :)

Associate
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil-k View Post
Can anyone give any online links either live or after the event
Thanks
Pretty sure this would be breaking forum rules?

can anyone confirm the rules ref posting such a link or if it would be ok to give such links via PMs

Back
Top Bottom