Duke's guide to watching F1 2012 on the cheap

Soldato
No planning permission for a second dish.

You can get indoor dishes too. as well as translucent dishes. Though a 80-100cm dish with monoblock would be best.

Using a DVB-S card in your computer and connecting the dish to that would be a better option too in terms of syncing sound. You could then output the whole thing to the tv pretty easily.

Associate
Another option is if you own an Xbox and have a friend who is into football (or pretty any sport that requires a sky subscription) then they can set up their account on the Xbox and you can watch for free, I've been doing this for the last four months and its worked well. :)

Soldato
Remember RTL isn't the only channel either for F1. It is shown on ORF in Austria without ads. It is also shown on HR1 in Croatia.

No doubt it's on many more, but those are the ones I know about.

Arabsat was popular when I was doing this before complete with English commentary.

Man of Honour
You can also buy one of these:

http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/13/delayplayradio-lets-you-sync-fm-audio-with-cable-or-satellite/

Or something called a RadioShark (Griffin makes them).

That will allow you to delay the radio feed...

Remember RTL isn't the only channel either for F1. It is shown on ORF in Austria without ads. It is also shown on HR1 in Croatia.

No doubt it's on many more, but those are the ones I know about.

Arabsat was popular when I was doing this before complete with English commentary.

Sweet, that seems to be all issues solved. Roll on 2012.

Is there anything specific I'm looking for in the box, a certain standard or anything? Or will any free sat box do?

Would the Grundig GUFSDTR500HD work?

The radioplaydelay seems to of changed name
http://www.scannermaster.com/SportSync_Radio_p/01-561700.htm

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Thanks for the input guys, I'll update the thread when I have a bit more time.

That sound delayer would be good if it supported DAB which the 5 Live commentary is on (Sports Extra). It says digital FM/AM which I'm not convinced is actually DAB.

Man of Honour
Fortunately I already have Sky.

If I didn't thought I would look into getting the Polish satellite feed, Polsat I think it's called. Seen pubs using that (in HD too) for premier league football with English Sky commentary, so it's quite probable this channel will allow you to watch the Sky F1 coverage next year in HD for much cheaper than the £600 odd from Sky.

Man of Honour
OP
I added a load more channels from the 28.3E Sat yesterday, something like 450 channels on there but so far I think only RTL is the one showing sport unencrypted. Going to look into the channels available on the Polish one to see if its worth tweaking the dish that way.

Soldato
I'm only interested in an internet feed that does HD with no adverts. I take it this does not exist? I can't do Sat dish and won't pay virgin £20 extra a month or whatever it is.

Soldato
I am sure there will be ways to get the race after it has finished...struggling to find a way to watch it live at the moment though.

Indeed. If you are prepared to wait an hour or two after the race end you can take your pick of places to get it. Might be a bit longer for HD though. At the moment that's my only real solution. Its not an ideal situation really though as it generally means you don't get to watch the race till around 7 to 9pm. I used to use this method when it was on ITV and I was working Sunday afternoons.

I have Sky TV but won't pay £20pm for Sports when I have no interest in watching anything besides F1. £160 (March to November) is a lot to pay to watch 10 races and besides my Sky box is not even in my living room but rather in the kids' living room. I'd much rather a PPV system of maybe £5-10 per race weekend and then I'd consider running an extension from room to room.

I don't think a dish would work for me.

Would be interested in a HD internet stream though if there is one. I'm not bothered about legality.

Associate
I'm only interested in an internet feed that does HD with no adverts. I take it this does not exist? I can't do Sat dish and won't pay virgin £20 extra a month or whatever it is.

Find a friend with Sky/ Virgin HD. Enjoy lol! Thats what i do. Just take a crate of beers, everyones happy.

Associate
Nice post. When we moved into this house back in '01 it already had a dish installed at the back of the house but we've never used it as we've always just had freeview. I think I'm going to try and revive that dish and follow what you've done for next year's championship. If I can get it in Spanish it'll be great as I'm a native speaker anyway, however the commentators there annoy me but oh well...Great write up!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Nice post. When we moved into this house back in '01 it already had a dish installed at the back of the house but we've never used it as we've always just had freeview. I think I'm going to try and revive that dish and follow what you've done for next year's championship. If I can get it in Spanish it'll be great as I'm a native speaker anyway, however the commentators there annoy me but oh well...Great write up!

Allow me to break you in gently...

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Associate
Just reserved my dish and receiver from B&Q.

One of the reviews was this

"Bought this as many have to get RTL for Formula One for next year.
It had every thing I wanted to do the job. A tip when scanning Astra 1c (19.2) is to remove transponders 47 & 67 when scanning, if you don't the box will lock up.
The dish is a tad ugly, but wasn't worried as I didn't need it I just mounted the supplied LNB along side my existing Sky LNB. Even without the dish, its still excellent value."

Can't wait to get this working!

Back
Top Bottom