DVB-T2 PC TV Tuners?

Soldato
You begin to wonder if something will ever come along. The technology has been around for ages now and even though DVB-T2 hasn't been taken up worldwide it is in use in a few countries.

I have my 290e on a small USB extension (it comes with one) so it sits behind my PC connected right up to the aerial cable. Not particularly neat but it's behind my PC so not really visible.

Associate
BlackGold BGT3630

Hardware receiver support – world standard analogue terrestrial (PAL, NTSC, CECAM), digital terrestrial including both DVB-T and DVB-T2, digital satellite DVB-S and DVB-S2, digital cable DVB-C. i.e. Two separate tuners on one card 1 x DVB-S/S2 Tuner + 1 x DVB-T/T2, DVB-C or Analogue.

(The DVB-T tuner can be used as one of either DVB-T, DVB-T2, DVB-C or Analogue)

UK operation supports all available Free-To-Air channels
All Freeview digital terrestrial (DVB-T & T2) TV and radio channels
All available analogue terrestrial TV channels.

Supports reception of all Freesat channels, supports reception of DVB-S/S2 standard and high definition transport streams from any world location.

BGT_0148_copy.jpg

now all we need is a pair of them on a single card :rolleyes: - i really do fail to see the benefit of doing this (single tuners) they know everyone wants dual tuners, and they know that the consumer is fed up being forced to choose one or the other type (sat of freeview) - they want to dominate the market, then release what the users want and rip the rug well and truely out from under Hauppauge

Associate
so where it says "i.e. Two separate tuners on one card 1 x DVB-S/S2 Tuner + 1 x DVB-T/T2, DVB-C or Analogue."

It's clearly trying to mislead...I assume it is saying it has both but then goes on to clarify that it can only use one at a time? If you want to switch between inputs does the software do it automatically or do you have to change settings/cables?

For example... I have an analogue input, which is the signal coming directly from my TV downstairs which has full sky. I have the digital input which is coming from the satellite in the roof, and will receive FreeviewHD. If I am watching BBCHD, and want to see what is on the TV downstairs, would I be able to without having to mess around with cables/hardware settings? any ideas?

Associate
I have no idea, it's yet to be released, so the exact specifications are always subject to change
i thought you could use both together ie record one DVB-T2 and watch an S2 channel, but not record the same type as you were viewing

Associate
Err...

BGT3620? Can't link to the specs (as all the details are on their shop).

"Hardware receiver support - Analogue terrestrial (PAL, NTSC, CECAM), dual digital terrestrial including both DVB-T and DVB-T2, dual digital cable DVB-C."

I read this to mean 2 x DVB-T2 rather than 1 x DVB-T & 1 x DVB-T2. Anyone got one of these?

O/C need to update their range of video cards, they only seem to do Compro ones, not even the Hauppauge or AverMedia alternatives.

Associate
Hauppauge always seem to me to be over priced, and over bloated, and avermedia i always think of as foreign with dodgy instructions lol

Troll, Blackgold do do a PCI one i think.
EDIT:
try this link to search their products

that 3620 is DVD-T/T2 only i think, no S2

Last edited:
Associate
yeah, my bad, i thought the 3580 would do you, but i see i got the specs wrong, and the 3500 is only DVB-T

there is always this option .... slightly expensive, but a working solution.... (just don't bottle neck the bus !)

[click for specs]

Soldato
I picked up one of those driverless PCI to PCIe adapters (PCI1PEX1) and so I should be good to go.

Another dual DVB-T2 PCIe has just appeared on the market from TBS Technologies the TBS6280. It doesn't look that different to the Blackgold though so probably best sticking with the better brand.

Soldato
Here is my PCI HD tuner solution ready to go on 31/08/11 when HD gets turned on my area.

I noticed that BlackGold have a couple of new offerings:

BGT3600 Dual DVB-S/S2, Dual DVB-T/T2, DVB-C
BGT3650 Quad DVB-T/T2 (OEM only initially)

Associate
Here is my PCI HD tuner solution ready to go on 31/08/11 when HD gets turned on my area.

I noticed that BlackGold have a couple of new offerings:

BGT3600 Dual DVB-S/S2, Dual DVB-T/T2, DVB-C
BGT3650 Quad DVB-T/T2 (OEM only initially)

when you get that up and running, i'm thinking there would be a few people interested in a quick review :)

Associate
Another dual DVB-T2 PCIe has just appeared on the market from TBS Technologies the TBS6280. It doesn't look that different to the Blackgold though so probably best sticking with the better brand.

I've heard that they have good Linux support, it is announced that they are working on Linux driver for kernel 3.x and estimated release time will be late September.

Soldato
Here’s a rundown of how my Freeview HD Tuner installation went.

First up, in a schoolboy error; I had failed to realise that the screw fixing point on a half-height bracket is on the opposite side to that of a full-height card. With some cases you might get away with this, but as my HTPC case uses a screw-less mounting system with fixed posts, this simply would not fit.

StarTech do supply an alternative full height bracket with their adapter card, but this requires that you completely remove the bracket from the PCI Express card. This means that the tuner is no longer secured in position; which is not good given that an aerial cable will be running into it. For now I have gone for a rather Heath Robinson solution using cable ties. I will look into modifying the half-height bracket for a more elegant solution.

Once I had got over the physical installation challenge, the new tuner card was detected by Windows and after installing the drivers recognised without issue, the adapter card being completely transparent to the O/S.

The next challenge was Media Center. I had cleared all my existing channel data in advance of the installation but despite this Media Center did not like the appearance of the new tuner. It would run through the setup sequence as expected but then either freeze or experience an unexpected error on the final step. In the end I had to manually purge all my exiting configuration data using the method described here: http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/09/clearing-guide-data-and-tuner-setup-from-windows-7-media-center.html

Once this was done the setup process completed and populated my channel list. As I now have both an SD and an HD tuner in my system, the next step was to manually configure the tuner sources and priorities for each channel. This was done to ensure that the SD tuner is used in preference to the HD tuner for SD channels and so that Media Center does not attempt to record an HD channel with an SD tuner (stupidly it assigns all tuners to all channels regardless of capability).

With all this done the tuner is now working perfectly. The correct guide data for the four HD channels was identified and downloaded automatically, which I know had been a problem until very recently. I have scheduled, recorded and played back a number of HD programmes and everything works faultlessly with perfect picture quality.

Associate
Thank you for the mini review.

RE your hardware fixing problem, i'd take the whole thing to your local metal workshop/fabricators, show them and then let them cut the tags off the original PCI back plate bracket, and weld them to the new one form startech so that it can screw fit - I know this is easy for me to suggest, because personally, i'd mark it up, go into my garage get out the dremel followed by my welding kit and do it myself.... so it will be very easy for a metal workshop to do, and is not as daunting as it sounds !

That BGT3600 ....

is looking mighty tempting, and it's now available, by the time i come to want one and be able to use it (i want it now lol) they should be nicely matured driver and firmware wise, and with dual everything, that's gotta be a win :) and at about £177 it's not going to break the bank like sky tv does

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom