E3 2018

Soldato
Walking simulators, lol. Some of the best games ever made can hardly be called walking simulators and since when does the length of the game determine how good it is? 30 hrs for me is a long time, I actually get put off games that I know will take a 100 hrs or so to complete. Although I'm pretty sure I put more that 30 hrs into most of those.
Walking simulator is a real industry term bro.

Soldato
Sony have a killer franchise the last of us 2 , plus they have the new open world Spider-Man which looks amazing which many at eagerly waiting for , Forza Horizon is just another racing sim , sea of thieves gets repetitive, no actual halo gameplay just a small video clip , mostly kiddy games .. just remember Microsoft destroyed there halo fan base when they handed it over to 343 with nothing really exciting whereas Sony has naughty dog a developer that always gets me excited with its amazing stories and graphics .. then you have god of war 4 and horizon which are also are also amazing ..where the hell are the groundbreaking AAA Xbox killer exclusives ?

The last of us 2 isn't a groundbreaking AAA title. Its a sequel to a game we have all played before, not a new IP. No different from Gears 2 to 4 or Halo 2 to 5. Which are exclusives to their own platform getting ANOTHER sequel.

Spider-Man looks but its going to be the same mechanics from Sunset Overdrive, which used the same mechanics from Ratchet and Clank because they are all from the same developer. Again something we have all played before. Nothing AAA or groundbreaking there.

The indie scene is where its all happening at the moment and has been for a while.

Soldato
Uncharted/TLOU/Spider-man/God of war/Horizon zero dawn

Mostly all walking simulators.. and most can be completed in less than 10-30 hours.. What else do they have that makes it an absolute win for sony?

I'm no fan-boy, look at my rig in my sig.. I do have a one X because gamepass gets me lots of free PC games that i can play slouched on the couch too.

I assume you haven't played any of the above games? they are not walking simulators....

Soldato
I thought it was a good conference from MS, it was quite long but I wasn't bored at any time and most of the games I was interested in, really pleased there's a new Devil May Cry.

It feels like MS have used their deep pockets to try and win gamers back. Hopefully they will allow Ninja Theory creative freedom with their games as I think they're a great studio.

Soldato
I assume you haven't played any of the above games? they are not walking simulators....

Again, walking simulator is a real industry term.

I've completed TLOU, and horizon zero dawn.. only part played a few of the uncharted games and i don't claim any other god of war other than the latest is a walking sim.

Soldato
Funny to see some of the changes a few years make. 2013: Xbox digital distribution of games and subscription - OMG the sky is falling. 2018 and XBox Pass - Hmmm, not bad value.. Looks like it's going to be the future:)

Associate
My point is not just new ips , it more about interesting Games which have deep stories and immersive worlds also showing off next gen technology, Microsoft made the Xbox one x but no real groundbreaking exclusive content to exploit it ? All Microsoft have is the hardware and thid party titles which harness the Xbox one x power which is good and Xbox 360 backward compatibility.. but my point is where are the AAA exclusives like what Sony has to offer ..

Soldato
It feels like MS have used their deep pockets to try and win gamers back.
Credit where credit is due - they were panned for XBox One not being as powerful as PS4 and so fixed that, next was not enough titles and they seem to be sorting that, not least with the 5 new studios. Add Xbox Play Pass and that I play on a PC as well so "play anywhere" works well for me and I'm happy enough. Interesting to see they announced next gen Xbox hardware in development as well - I wonder if Sony have deep enough pockets to compete next time out if MS are serious about gaming again.

Soldato
My point is not just new ips , it more about interesting Games which have deep stories and immersive worlds also showing off next gen technology, Microsoft made the Xbox one x but no real groundbreaking exclusive content to exploit it ? All Microsoft have is the hardware and thid party titles which harness the Xbox one x power which is good and Xbox 360 backward compatibility.. but my point is where are the AAA exclusives like what Sony has to offer ..

They don't have any, they know that hence the reason they are now buying studios. Unfortunately we wont see those games for another 2-3 years which will then probably tie in with the new Xbox they announced was in development (strange why they choose to mention that as there wasn't really any need).

In the meantime they are using the MS money to buy exclusive content etc from third parties. They messed up on this generation but I think Phil Spencer is putting them in the right direction for the next.

Soldato
Sorry, for me Sony have a couple of interesting games I can't get on Xbox otherwise everything else is cross platform and generally inferior to the Xbox X version so "meh".

Hopefully this brings Sony back investing heavily to compete which is only good news for every one

Caporegime
Haven't followed Cyberpunk but my initial thought was it looked a bit like Deus Ex. Hopefully it'll be a game worthy of being compared to Deus Ex in terms of game play unlike the dumbed down sequels.

Hopefully this brings Sony back investing heavily to compete which is only good news for every one
Strange comment to make considering the sales figures for the hardware and cross platform games. Surely it's MS that need to start investing, which is what they now seem to be doing, to compete again?

Last edited:
Soldato
Strange comment to make considering the sales figures for the hardware and cross platform games. Surely it's MS that need to start investing, which is what they now seem to be doing, to compete again?
Indeed, and with MS quite clearly spending and being serious in competing hopefully it spurs Sony to invest going forward rather than resting on their laurels as they did somewhat with PS4 Pro.

Soldato
Indeed, and with MS quite clearly spending and being serious in competing hopefully it spurs Sony to invest going forward rather than resting on their laurels as they did somewhat with PS4 Pro.

I don't think sony have any chance of competing with xbox in terms of "spending" i read somewhere that with their aquisitions budget, microsoft could buy sony 17 times over each year.

Soldato
Again, walking simulator is a real industry term.

I've completed TLOU, and horizon zero dawn.. only part played a few of the uncharted games and i don't claim any other god of war other than the latest is a walking sim.

Yea i know its a term and TLOU and HZD had a lot of interaction its not classed as walking simulator....

Soldato
Credit to MS, they could have backed down and accepted second place but they've shown they're serious and willing to spend. I've got all 3 consoles and anything that keeps the leader (Sony imo) competitive has to be a good thing. I still think Sony have the current generation pretty well sewn up in term of the best exclusives but MS have bought some very interesting studios and hopefully will give them the resources to kick out some top notch games in the future.

Back
Top Bottom