E3 2018

Soldato
Bethesda just blew everyone out of the water there. Great conference.

I actually thought Microsofts was underwhelming. Halo is clearly far away hence the lack of any footage, end of 2019 early 2020 stuff that and Gears doesn't interest me tbh, i thought 4 was boring. The new studios are good but announcing it at E3...a conference where people want to see boat loads of games...not sure about that.

Shed loads of multi platforms with a yearly franchise and the usual thrown in. Meh.

Caporegime
I think the best thing about Microsoft's conference was confirmation that they are indeed working a new Xbox console. The Cyberpunk trailer was a little underwhelming. It looked like a cross between Sunset Overdrive and Crackdown 3 when I saw it last night. Going to watch it again though now.

Soldato

I actually thought Microsofts was underwhelming. Halo is clearly far away hence the lack of any footage, end of 2019 early 2020 stuff that and Gears doesn't interest me tbh, i thought 4 was boring. The new studios are good but announcing it at E3...a conference where people want to see boat loads of games...not sure about that.

Shed loads of multi platforms with a yearly franchise and the usual thrown in. Meh.

You sound annoyed that MS announced sequels... but doesn't that just about sum up Bethesda's conference? Other than Starfield, which they showed absolutely nothing of, did they announce anything new or was it all just a bunch of sequels?

Soldato
I don't mind sequels. If the game is decent, who cares? I thought Rage 2 looked like it might be a lot of fun. Sort of a Bulletstorm/Mad Max/DOOM clone. Glad we are getting a new Elder Scrolls but that'll probably be way off yet.

Soldato
I thought the Xbox conference was very good. They're investing a good amount into the future, with the new studios brought under their branding, and also with other collaborations. I am sad that there was no announcement for Skate 4, although Session might fill that gap. I didn't think there was much hope in it being revealed under the Xbox conference instead of the EA conference, because it's a flagship EA title, and as soon as I saw the skating on screen for the Session trailer, I immediately thought it was Skate 4 but then when I saw the "Session" logo, I felt a bit disappointed, but I don't know why. If it's a good skating game in the same style as Skate 3, then it'll be great!

I'm particularly looking forward to the return of Master Chief. That's going to be good. Also, Forza Horizons 4 looks amazing and will also be welcome for co-op play. It sounds like it might be an updated Test Drive Unlimited and that's a very good thing!

And finally, it looks like Game Pass is definitely going to be worth the money now. There are a lot of good things on the way to Game Pass and I think I'll definitely be making use of it!

They did show a boat load of games though? And there were a load of MS exclusives in that list (GoW, Halo, Cuphead, Crackdown, Forza Horizon 4, Ori). And E3 hasn't officially started. The conferences are beforehand to let you know what to look for when you go there. E3 officially begins tomorrow. Them announcing the acquisition of development studios signifies that they're serious about their commitment to gamers.

For me personally, the information shown at the conference, plus the ability to play loads of old games through backward compatibility and have many available seamlessly on my PC and Xbox makes the Xbox my console of choice. I'm pleased that I decided to buy one a few months ago. The conference yesterday solidifies that for me. And Game Pass, given that it can be used on the PC as well, and getting you access to some very good games now and into the future, is a bargain.

Soldato
They showed a tonne of games...the majority of which will be on other consoles. I'm sure Cuphead showed as "console launch exclusive", what does this even mean? Could it be coming to PS4 or is it on xbox first then pc later? Not only that but isn't it just DLC ?

Ori looks like it could be good but it isn't enough for me to pick up an xbox for to be honest, Halo will be years away, Gears like a 2019 release as well. Gamepass seems a good deal though.

Soldato
The MS pass is such a good plan and is what's swaying back to the Xbox camp. Take Forza. The demonstration blew me away, but I don't tend to like driving games and would never fork £40-50. I'd try it for sure and get in a few games in with some friends with pass access, though. It's also an amazing thing for multiplayer games, which are entirely player base driven and often die before they start. It'll give them a chance vs. the behemoth CoDs and BFs of this world.

Soldato
The MS pass is such a good plan and is what's swaying back to the Xbox camp. Take Forza. The demonstration blew me away, but I don't tend to like driving games and would never fork £40-50. I'd try it for sure and get in a few games in with some friends with pass access, though. It's also an amazing thing for multiplayer games, which are entirely player base driven and often die before they start. It'll give them a chance vs. the behemoth CoDs and BFs of this world.

Someone posted a link over in the Xbox thread, they have the Gamepass on Sale on Amazon, 50% off 6 months, I stacked up 12 months for ~£50. So for £50 I'll be getting Crackdown 3 and Horizon 4, as well as all the other games. It's an excellent deal IMO and a great way to pull players back in.

Soldato
Don't forget that at the moment, Game Pass is available for £1 from the MS store, so if you're going to buy the 6 month pass, buy the £1 from MS first, use that, then add the 6 month code afterward. 7 months for £24.99 is a bargain. £3.57 per month. A cup of coffee costs more!

Oh, and Xbox Live Gold is £1 in the MS store at the moment too.

Associate
Without sounding Fanboy-ish, Microsoft sound like they are really putting themselves out there for the gamer now. So many ways to access the content and more exclusive studios being brought on board. Can only be a good thing for the industry to drive competition.

I've always had the view of, that if I want to play a game - I'll buy the system needed to play it on so exclusivity wars are a good thing imo.

Shawrey

Soldato
One thing that confused me last night was the play "twice as fast" thing. Are they changing the way it downloads content so you can get in before its fully downloaded? (I know this already works on most titles "Playable in x%) etc. I'm just confused as to what this new method is?

Will it allow you to stream the game while its still downloading? Seems counter intuitive to me. Still confused.

Soldato
One thing that confused me last night was the play "twice as fast" thing. Are they changing the way it downloads content so you can get in before its fully downloaded? (I know this already works on most titles "Playable in x%) etc. I'm just confused as to what this new method is?

Will it allow you to stream the game while its still downloading? Seems counter intuitive to me. Still confused.

They said that it'll get you into the game faster, so you start to download it and it'll be ready for you to be playing twice as fast as it used to. She said it uses machine learning to identify parts of the game required to play straight away, and gets those first. At the moment, the way it currently works is that the developers have to flag what content is required to be able to start the game, so the system downloads that first. This is all intelligently done and learns from the community as well.

Associate
I don't know why everyone is raving about the MS showing tbh, all of the exclusives were the expected usual lot, and looked "meh". Everything else is obviously on out the other platforms.

Hoping for some Resident Evil 2 remake footage/info at the Sony conference. Please God.

Back
Top Bottom