• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

E8600 E0 Overclocks

VTR

VTR

Soldato
Q820A670 is what I've got, seems to need a lot of volts to be stable at anything over 4.2-4.3Ghz. Whereas most the week 22's I've seen, or even other batches from week20 seem to do a lot better.

Depends how far you want to push it really whether you send it back or not mate, if mine is anything to go by though if you want to push it over 4.3Ghz your going to need quite a lot of volts compared to others!

VTR

VTR

Soldato
OK so I just re-read the post about the "bad" Q820A670 and realised it turned out good (4Ghz on stock volts on the stock hsf).... Looks like I'm building then :D

Let me know how you get on mate, I can get 4Ghz stable at not much over stock volts but 4.4Ghz then needs 1.44v!

Some of the better ones are doing 4Ghz with way under stock volts and hitting 4.5Ghz on ~1.35v.

Soldato
Yeah that'd be awesome tbh (4.5 on ~1.35). I have to be realistic tho - I mean I waited since July for this upgrade, and then nearly three weeks for deliveries to finally arrive (not OcUK, they were next day as usual!)... Return would take up to a week to process and arrive back (at my cost) and could get the same batch again!! I'm pretty sure I won't moan at 4.3 Ghz or so... I'm on an Athlon 64 X2 4200 at 2.2Ghz at the mo! ;)

Soldato
Well, I have the box pics - now to start the build. I'll have a page up on my new site (in sig) with unboxing/building/overclocking benches once it's all up and running. Watch this space... :)

Associate
OK so I just re-read the post about the "bad" Q820A670 and realised it turned out good (4Ghz on stock volts on the stock hsf).... Looks like I'm building then :D

Yes, that's my CPU. I don't know what happened, but my thoughts are that it was the motherboard restricting the CPU a little at first. I originally got 4GHz on 1.325V set in BIOS. I then updated the BIOS to a modified version of the latest Asus P5Q-E BIOS, 1306. I tweaked again and hit 4GHz at 1.28V set in BIOS. With the voltage drop this turns out to be 1.248V at idle and 1.256V under load. I used CPU-Z for the voltage reading in Windows.

Bearing in mind:

1: I have not exceeded the CPU's max recommended voltage of 1.26V (this is printed on the box)

2: I'm still using the awful stock Intel cooler

I think I actually have a pretty decent chip here! :) I know it isn't the best, but it's nowhere near being the POS I thought it might be, just going on original OC results.

I've ordered a Thermalright Ultima 90 cooler along with a Scythe fan, both of which should be here on Friday. I also ordered some MX-2 thermal paste (my favourite). I will post back with my results after I've fitted it and done a few tests.

I don't mind if this CPU doesn't hit 4.5GHz, I'll be happy with 4.2 or 4.3. For a 24/7 overclock, I don't believe anyone needs any more speed than this. The chip is already lightning fast at 4GHz, so any further speed boost and temp drop will be the icing on the cake for me, I'm not greedy or wanting to be boastful about a ridiculous overclock. I'm happy with my "bad" batch CPU! I might form a Week 20 Club now. :) We are the black sheep. We are the underdogs. We shall bite them on the features!

Associate
Best I've managed so far with my Q820A670 but still working on it and don't know if this is stable. Don't know if it's the BIOS for my MSI P45 Platinum or my sticks of OCZ PC2-8500C5 but I'm having massive problems posting unless the memory is running at exactly 1067MHz and even then it's hit and miss. Doesn't help that I don't have many divider options to play with. Got the RAM at 2.1V but don't know if giving it any more will help.

4,23GHz.JPG

Soldato
132 posts (133 inc this one) and just three stability screen shots published! :confused:

Cmon you slackers, two hour Prime/Orthos Small FFTs will suffice! :D

Thanks to BornEvil, VTR and mremulator for the effort! :)

Soldato
Now posting from Windows on my new build :D Updating now, but will be starting the clocking and stability testing tonight/early tomorrow... BTW this chip is SCARY fast even at stock! Coming from an Athlon 64 I'm amazed. Click something, there's not even a popup with the progress bar, it's just DONE already :eek:

Temps after an hour at idle-moderate load are 26 degrees (as shown on the mobo LCD CPU temp reader, CoreTemp AND RealTemp (all agree within 2oC of each other). Nice! I'll get back later once I have something to post. Dee you can't post competitors on here, my email's in Trust if you want more info... Don't be put off by the long saga I suffered, the company was GREAT about it (it was courier issues etc).

Soldato
132 posts (133 inc this one) and just three stability screen shots published! :confused:

I did post this in another thread here a couple of weeks ago, but i'll post it here as well. The clock has moved on since then, it's up to 5.15ghz at the moment.

VTR

VTR

Soldato
1.37v and 4.3Ghz seems to be the sweet spot with mine. 4.4Ghz requires 1.44v, not worth it for the extra 100mhz.

Trying to source a different batch to have a play around with, ordered another from OCUK but it was the same batch so have sent that back.

TBH 4.3Ghz is plenty fast enough for 24/7, 4.5Ghz is just a nice even number though :cool:

Going to pencil mod my board to eliminate the vdroop the weekend which may give me a bit more headroom to push it a bit further.

Excellent clock btw kitfit, nice temps :D

Soldato
About timee you changed your sig I think kitft1 :p That's a nice clock! How much do think that your chip has left in it?

The sig will be sorted when i find the maximum clcok :D

At the moment i think the chip should do 5.2ghz 24/7 stable. But like all clockers, i'm greedy :D. So i'm trying to get it to do 5.2ghz on the 5:6 divider, which then put's the ram at 624fsb. A bit of a tall order, but i think i can get it to play ball. If it turns out to be no go, then i'll change to 1:1, it should then be fairly easy :)

Associate

You'll get your stability screenies when I get my Ultima 90 on Friday. No freaking way am I running IntelBurnTest on the stock HSF! I'll end up setting the house on fire!

Back
Top Bottom