• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

E8600 E0 Overclocks

Associate
Dee you can't post competitors on here, my email's in Trust if you want more info... Don't be put off by the long saga I suffered, the company was GREAT about it (it was courier issues etc).

Ah, yes of course. I'm new, please excuse my n00bness.

Cheers. ;)

The sig will be sorted when i find the maximum clcok :D

At the moment i think the chip should do 5.2ghz 24/7 stable. But like all clockers, i'm greedy :D. So i'm trying to get it to do 5.2ghz on the 5:6 divider, which then put's the ram at 624fsb. A bit of a tall order, but i think i can get it to play ball. If it turns out to be no go, then i'll change to 1:1, it should then be fairly easy :)

Bah. That CPU is rubbish. Send it back for a refund!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well, i'm going to make this thread a database, to encourage more stability screens.

Standard rules really as most other database threads:

8+ hour Prime95 small FFT, coretemp and CPUZ screens on the same picture

To make things easier just copy and paste this little form and replace the fields between the [¦]s

Code:
 User name¦ FPO# ¦ Clockspeed ¦ Vcore ¦ VID ¦ Motherboard ¦ Cooling ¦ CPU Temp ¦ URL for stability screen

for examble mine will be:

Code:
 BornEvil ¦ Q820A670 ¦ 4330.3 Mhz ¦ 1.496v ¦ 1.2500v ¦ Asus P5Q-E ¦ OCZ Vendetta 2 ¦ 50/81 ¦ http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c45/BornEvil_/433e0.jpg

So it turns out like:

BornEvil¦ Q820A670¦ 4330.3 Mhz ¦ 1.496v ¦ 1.2500v ¦ Asus P5Q-E ¦ OCZ Vendetta 2¦ 50/81 ¦ http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c45/BornEvil_/433e0.jpg

P.S. not going to include mine as it does not fit intomy rules lol, and the CPU is not going back into my Rig for forther testing.

Notes:

Clockspeed and Vcore readings must be exactly as CPU-Z on load, VID and CPU temp as in Coretemp,

Screenie will be in URL tags and not IMG tags. but please post IMG Tags so the post stands out so i know that i have updating to do on Original Post.

Will edit the 1st post in a sec.

Soldato
overclockpq6.png

My current overclock. Not played too much with it so far, just wanted to get it up and running to play Stalker and Spore(not that spoor need that much power mind :p).

Temps aren't getting over around 65c full load in Orthos, which I find ok, not going to be running like that 24/4, getting around 35-40 on idle.

EDIT: Forgot to add, 2 hours prime stable, not too long I know, but long enough for what I want lol.

Last edited:
Associate
OK, shall I not post mine in this thread? I won't be Priming for 8+ hours because I find it a waste of time when IntelBurnTest pushes the CPU harder and in far less time. I got better things to do than wait for 8+ hours of Prime to tell me if an OC is stable when I don't fully trust that it's correct. Too may people over at XS have run Prime for longer than 8 hours already, only to find out their CPU fails within 5 minutes of IBT.

I use OCCT and Super Pi 32M for quick tests while finding a solid OC, then IBT to verify it. Also, I won't be replying to no arguments on this -- too many people outside these forums already proved the doubters wrong, so I don't need anyone here to try and convince me I'm wrong for using IBT. I believe those people can't successfully run it, that's why they doubt. IBT shatters their illusions. :)

I'll post my results elsewhere, possibly on Friday when I get the new cooler.

Soldato
FWIW guys I'll start clocking tomorrow (well, later on). I'm knackered now. Got the rig up and running fine now, but can't get WLM to connect for some reason :confused: Tried 8.5 and 9 beta, on XP Pro x64 and Vista Ultimate, and neither will let WLM online even with firewall off etc etc so *shrug* I'll sort that later.

Here's CPU-Z and some load temps for STOCK SETTINGS on my chip, with an OCZ Vendetta 2 (120mm). Temps look suspiciously close together on each core but, the BIOS, LCD display on the mobo, CoreTemp, RealTemp AND TPower all agree the temps are accurate :D It idles at about 25 degrees btw.

stock-load-temps.png

Apologies to MarcLister btw - as above I ended up installing Vista and even now at 4.15am I've 100 things I should be doing but I NEED some sleep :o I'll catch you online later if/when I sort WLM out :)

Associate
OP
OK, shall I not post mine in this thread? I won't be Priming for 8+ hours because I find it a waste of time when IntelBurnTest pushes the CPU harder and in far less time. I got better things to do than wait for 8+ hours of Prime to tell me if an OC is stable when I don't fully trust that it's correct. Too may people over at XS have run Prime for longer than 8 hours already, only to find out their CPU fails within 5 minutes of IBT.

I use OCCT and Super Pi 32M for quick tests while finding a solid OC, then IBT to verify it. Also, I won't be replying to no arguments on this -- too many people outside these forums already proved the doubters wrong, so I don't need anyone here to try and convince me I'm wrong for using IBT. I believe those people can't successfully run it, that's why they doubt. IBT shatters their illusions. :)

LOL do you think people just stare at the monitors for 8 hours while Priming.

I am doing this thread to be helpful for others and would avoid tedious internet spouts. But I will post this message for other people not to get put off P95.

Think of it like this, Prime95 SFF is a recognised standard (in the community) for CPU stability test (likewise for memtest for RAM).

In the most often case a CPU that fails IBT but passes Prime95 would be at a higher clock than the same CPU that passes both Prime95 and IBT.

For example my E6550 had been running 3.6Ghz without a single crash for 1 year. This overclock was 'initially' varified with prime95 when i got it. It failed Intel burn test most probabilly due to extream heat.

iirc i had to decrease the overclock to about 200Mhz less for IBT stability. But the fact is that it my prime stable computer has been stable for 1 year without a single crash.

Temps were in the 80s for IBT and 60s for prime. Remember that everyday computing will never be as intensive as a IntelBurn Test. I would personally take that extra 200Mhz overclock over an EXTREME stability CPU.

When I 1st read about IBT a few years ago it was a program used by use overclockers to burn-in a new CPU at stock so it is a very useful tool. But personally I don't burn-in my CPU, just dive in straight away.

I've just giving 1 example but i have been overclocking for many years since a Pentium 3 733Mhz and went trough over 15 CPU's since then. This method has been proven by and to myself and happy to stick with it until it does not work anymore.

Well this post has taken me too much though memory lane so too tired and need my 8+ hour sleep. will be PRIMIN' throught it!!!

Last edited:
Associate
LOL do you think people just stare at the monitors for 8 hours while Priming.

Well, maybe some do. I know I never did. I can't speak for anyone else. Actually, I bet some nerds actually do enjoy watching P95 do it's funky thing. :rolleyes:

I am doing this thread to be helpful for others

I know, and that's exactly why I won't post IBT stress tests here. I don't want to go ruining any parties.

Think of it like this, Prime95 SFF is a recognised standard (in the community) for CPU stability test

Yes, correct, and I used it for years myself. Now IBT is fast becoming a recognised standard that takes less time and works much quicker to achieve more stable OC's. Things change. Things improve. Things get faster. That's computers for you.

When I 1st read about IBT a few years ago

Ah, well that's news to me. See, I thought it was a very recent thing? I know Linpack has been around for a few years but IBT is pretty much brand new. I'll speak to AgentGOD at XS and ask when he made v1.1 beta. I'd ask now but the forums are down.

This method has been proven by and to myself and happy to stick with it until it does not work anymore.

Great. I only wonder why people don't use both P95 and IBT? IBT will find the errors and then you can run P95 for 8 hours just to waste some electricity. :D

I'm just kidding. Use what you will. I'll be using IBT, even if it means a few MHz less but an even more stable OC.

VTR

VTR

Soldato
Will update with a screenshot when I find my max 24/7 usage at decent volts. Highest I've got an 8hr prime at so far is 4275mhz with 1.37v. Hoping to get closer to 4350mhz but still testing atm!

Soldato
Probably the wrong place to ask as it appears you are all smitten by the E8600 but ignoring that:

What is the general consensus between the 8500 vs the 8600?

Is the 8600 worth the extra?

Im gonna be buying one or the other having sold my quad but cant decide between the two.

Associate
OP
Ah, well that's news to me. See, I thought it was a very recent thing? I know Linpack has been around for a few years but IBT is pretty much brand new. I'll speak to AgentGOD at XS and ask when he made v1.1 beta. I'd ask now but the forums are down.

pretty sure i 1st used it a while back but never used it much.

But been too long ago, and may have been another Linpack stresser. So I'm happy to stand to be corrected.

Man of Honour
Probably the wrong place to ask as it appears you are all smitten by the E8600 but ignoring that:

What is the general consensus between the 8500 vs the 8600?

Is the 8600 worth the extra?

Im gonna be buying one or the other having sold my quad but cant decide between the two.

If you can get a E0 stepping E8500 i would go for one of those and save £50. I have seen these doing 4Ghz on 1.3v as well.

Soldato
If you can get a E0 stepping E8500 i would go for one of those and save £50. I have seen these doing 4Ghz on 1.3v as well.

Ok cool, so QA22 seems to be the current holy grail batch for the E8600. What batch no. prefix are the most desirable E0 E8500s? Just so I know what Im looking for.

Edit: Found the answer.

Last edited:
Soldato

Dee!

you have owned your new processor for a week or two now and have been happy to make many statements about how good it overclocks but to my knowledge have not made much effort in the way of posting any screenshots?

Each forum handles this subject differently and OcUK and XS are worlds apart. If you do not want your illusions shattered then maybe XS is a more natural place for you to post because here at OcUK we like things done a certain way.

You are not duty bound or under any contract to provide screenshots of your progress but it would be appreciated by many people if you did. I haven't yet tried out this IBT but it sounds very much to me like INTEL TAT that was able to load up a dual-core processor way more than prime ever could, in fact way more than any other application could!

I'm sure IBT will prove a useful cooling test but an overclock does not always fail because of heat, it mostly fails because there is not enough vCore being supplied at a given processor frequency and this is something prime is very good at finding out. . .

Now please enough excuses, moaning and groaning etc etc, just get with the program and pipe down! :D

Associate
Screenshots tomorrow, most likely. Depends if the new cooler arrives.

This thing didn't start clocking well until the BIOS were updated a few days ago, therefore I don't think I posted many statements at all regarding how well it clocks? This was supposedly a "bad" one from week 20, remember. It's currently just a tad below 4GHz on the stock cooler. <--- And that's exactly why you won't see any screens of IBT on this machine. I'd be an idiot to run it on the stock cooler at 4GHz. OCCT gets it up to 65 degrees. IBT would go way beyond.

Try IBT. You'll soon find out whether or not you're using enough vCore. It's nothing like TAT. Many people have Primed (some for 24+ hours) and had their CPU fail within 2 minutes of IBT. The solution? Add more vCore.

I'll leave you with a few random quotes from around the net. And btw, I realize you grumpy old dudes like to do things a certain way, but maybe it's about time you changed your ways. Don't fall behind, slowcoaches!

The purpose of Linpack/IntelBurnTest is to help you get over 48 hrs Prime stable in less than 8 minutes of testing.

Here's my own experience with IntelBurnTest. My E8400 was Prime95 stable for 12 hours at 4.1GHz with 1.29-1.30v. After I learned about IntelBurnTest, I decided to give it a try, expecting that my system should pass IntelBurnTest without any problems.

To my surprise, my E8400 failed instantly in the first test Producing calculation error. I had to increase the voltage to 1.32-1.33v in order to pass IntelBurnTest. One thing worth mentioning, the vdroop is higher with IntelBurnTest, this shows that IntelBurnTest stresses your system even more intense than Prime95. For comparison, my E8400 voltage stays at 1.33-1.34v when running Prime95 and 1.32-1.33v when running IntelBurnTest.

That's the main advantage of IntelBurnTest, it detects error really fast, usually within the first 5-10 tests. Prime95 needs a few hours, or it doesn't detect it even after 12 hours.

In the brief time I have tested with it, I can easily say that this program is the absolute best for heating up an Intel CPU. (No idea how well this runs on AMD chips, if at all) Forget CPUBurn and Prime 95 for heating up a CPU, this app even spiked my Q6600 temps despite my WC loop.

Five minutes of Prime 95 using in-place large FFTs maxed out at 49, 49, 45, 46. Just the first run of IntelBurnTest pegged the temps to 57, 57, 55, 55

My problem with Prime was that I never could find a fully stable setting at 3.6GHz, sometimes I could run 24 hour blend or Large-FFT runs and not find a thing, other times I could run Prime95 and it would error within 30 seconds.

Just been looking through the thread. Some of the temps people are getting with this thing are insane.

Someone's PC that was prime stable for 10 hrs only lasted two minutes!!JAJAJAJAAJ

It's bringing a lot of (stable, sic) overclocks to their knees, this is sorting the men out from the boys

:D

lmao

IntelBurnTest uses Small FFTs/Blend which makes it even more accurate and its even more stressful than prime95, do i need to explain more?

Its the real cpu stability test, forget prime95. If you fail it isn't stable, simple as that

Last edited:

VTR

VTR

Soldato
Try IBT. You'll soon find out whether or not you're using enough vCore. It's nothing like TAT. Many people have Primed (some for 24+ hours) and had their CPU fail within 2 minutes of IBT. The solution? Add more vCore.

I done a run of IBT at max settings (1), 10 runs and it passed whilst hitting 75c. I then went straight on, exact same settings and ran Orthos Small FFTs, it hit only hit 60c but failed within 40mins.

IBT is good for getting your CPU hot but not a good sign of stability.

Last edited:
Soldato
And btw, I realize you grumpy old dudes like to do things a certain way, but maybe it's about time you changed your ways. Don't fall behind, slowcoaches!
Your a Joker, you are hands down the biggest moaner and groaner I ever did see on these forums, you joined a few weeks ago did nothing but complain about one thing and another, my case is POS, my CPU is a POS, etc etc depressing stuff to read I can tell u! :(

Seriously do yourself a favour and assume you are an utter nOOb who knows nothing nada zilch, that way you may be in a better position to learn a thing or two from those that have been in this game a lot longer than you imagined!

You won't last long here Dee! if you don't change your attitude. . .

Back
Top Bottom