eBay just removed fees for private sellers (Except motors)

Thank god. I have only used it once recently and they took a £70 chunk of it, then the penny dropped why everything is on fb marketplace now. It'll be great if I never have to use marketplace again so I hope this works out for them

Interesting idea from Ebay, but I fear it's too little too late!

I'm not saying I think Ebay are going to fold anytime soon, but are they really that relevant anymore with all the alternatives like FB market place?

"However, buyers are set to face a charge. How it will be applied is yet to be determined though it will take effect early next year, the company said."

Will be interesting to see what they come up with this one, how's that going to incentivise buyers to use their platform with additional charges to the product their buying :D

Unless I'm stupid, This would be like Asda charging you to shop with them. On top of buying a loaf.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see what they come up with this one, how's that going to incentivise buyers to use their platform with additional charges to the product their buying :D

Unless I'm stupid, This would be like Asda charging you to shop with them. On top of buying a loaf.
Tbf I think it'll be more like deliveroo and vinted with their service fees

Reactions: Kol
vinted already charge the buyer, but it’s just called the buyer protection policy. Several times a problem has arisen and vinted wash their hands of it and say it’s couriers fault and courier say their contract is with vinted. So while it probably covers some things it’s actually their fee.

So long as eBay don’t go mad and charge a %age and just make it a reasonable flat fee they’ll be quids in.

Last edited:

I'm not saying I think Ebay are going to fold anytime soon, but are they really that relevant anymore with all the alternatives like FB market place?

I've never been able to get on with Facebook Marketplace. I just find it horrible to use.

FB market place is dire. For anything high value it's just a waste of time.

For junk it's great.

"However, buyers are set to face a charge. How it will be applied is yet to be determined though it will take effect early next year, the company said."

This makes the no seller fees pointless.

If you just shift from buy to sell I suspect the top line market price won't change and sellers will just have to drop their prices.

Its probably better from psychology standpoint. It's what vinted do.

You see the price.. Think oooh. Then get a whack on top for fees. But you may already be mentally committed. Probably sensible marketing

Back
Top Bottom